main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA SAFF website up now!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by oz_skipp, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    http://www.milneyfilms.com/saff/

Thanks to milney for his webspace. Thanks to those whose pics will be up soon ;)

It's very incomplete in terms of content, I apologize for this, but I've run out of steam tonight, and I have a work deadline tomorrow (even though I've supposedly finished work ;) ). I can't wait to make it a centre of info for all the things we get up to. It's more of a test at this point - Does it work? Are links okay? Does it look 'right'? Internet Explorer has a number of nasty bugs when using CSS, most of which I think I've worked around, but please let me know if there are any issues.

Email me at saffwebmaster@milneyfilms.com with comments, queries, bugs etc

I also have a couple of ideas of how to promote and develop the SAFF, one of which I've put up on the site. The more labour intensive one (meaning you all must get involved!) will be coming soon, I'm thinking a couple of weeks, hopefully by then I'll have developed the site a bit further.

Finally, a request on my part - I was wondering if it would be possible to put a link on the site to a Buffy convention that is happening in Adelaide next year. I know the guy putting it on is working damn hard for little reward, so thought we could do this little favour for him. And *I know* that several of you are Buffy fans (there was more Buffy talk than SW talk at the picnic if I recall!). If no-one objects, I'll do this when I do the next major update.

Cheers for your support guys.

Edit: Irretrievably stupid IE rendering bug workaround done on the splash page. Will try to fix it, but unfortunatetly it won't look 'perfect' if you're using IE, but it's 99% okay (I hope! :) ). If you're using a PC, download Firefox. If you're using a Mac, use Safari, Firefox, Opera, Omniweb or whatever you like! IE is teh cr4p!

Edit 2: Please let me know if you think load times are too long. The code on the main pages is plenty small, but the images are unoptimised. I get about 40 seconds for the main page after the splash page, but I'm on dialup. A bit slow IMHO, but it's mainly due to Yoda, which I pinched from another site. Once the first main page is loaded, the rest should be quick. The splash page image is also too bit, I'll shrink too. Special thanks to BF for this one ;)

2. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I've been informed of some minor display errors with a couple of browsers. There is also a major layout cockup with IE on a PC. I'll endeavour to get it completley spiffy post-haste. However it's 4am - sleep beckons.

3. Nawara-Ven

Nawara-Ven Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    It looks fantastic!! I love it. I use IE, and am pretty ignorant to any slow loading or anything at the moment, cos I've been slowed down again this month, due to reaching my download limit!! (darling son being home on holidays and downloading stuff for himself - ah, the wonder of broadband).

I've got lots of internet quota left at Uni though, so I might pop over there later and have a look - hopefully at least the computer pools will be open.

:D

(thankyou Milney for the webspace - you're one NSWelshman in a million :D )

4. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    like I said in the t-shirt thread, am at Uni, and it looks really good here. They use IE here as well, but I've no idea if there are errors or not...I'm just going along for the ride. What sort of help do you need with this 'more complicated' project you speak of, Skipp??

excellent - we have a home to live in now too!! yay!! :)

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Site looks awesome Skip and thanks Milney for the space!!

T Shirts? OMG!! This is really taking off!! :p

6. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    t-shirts, drink coasters, wine bottles with specially marked SAFF labels - where could this go?? hmmm...I'm thinking 12" dolls and our own beer.....

7. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    What about little wobbly bouncy heads... ooo ooo and lunch boxes for the wee lil ones!

8. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    So does anyone using IE on the PC have it looking this bad:
    http://www.medwaypvb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scans/web1.jpg

:(

The ads on the right are supposed to be completely on the right and not be chopped off. And the banner up the top should go pretty much all the way along.

Please let me know - I don't want to try and 'fix' the problem if it's only one person having that issue. If you're all getting this problem, I can go through putting it back together step by step and should be able to 'fix' it.

Still, if no-one used IE, there'd be no problems :D

Edit: I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox. Looks absolutely fine. So it's only IE on the PC that is having the ***ts. Grrrrr. A**ebadgers!!!!

I'll work something out. Does *anyone* using IE on the PC see it properly?

9. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    yeah, it looks exactly like that from where I stand...er, sit.....

I thought that there must be something wrong with the banner, as it seemed 'cut off' toward the right.....

EDIT: ooh, ooh....I want a bobble head Nawara!!! and a lunch box, and a purse, and a handbag, and a drink bottle.........

um....I think we've created a monster!! :D

10. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Tried a couple more quick fixes to nick the IE bug. Please let me know if it still looks the same. If so I'll put on my thinking cap to try and fix it. Pity I can't use the ancient PC I have here to test it at the moment :(

TIme to pop out for an hour and Christmas shop!

11. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    the ads are much better, it seems more compact now - although - is the banner supposed to stop at StormieSteve or is it supposed to show Helena as well?

12. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    The site looks awsome Skip [face_love] [:D]

13. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    Aww, I feel loved.

I'm going to perform little tweaks to the site every now and then, mainly to help keep my server tidy and also to fix things that only the webspace owner can fix :)

14. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    No worries Milney - when you do could you let me know so I can mirror it.

I've got a new template that's very similar, so much so that the end user won't notice any difference in the way it looks, but it *should* work perfectly with IE on a PC. I'm a bit knackered now, so I probably won't work on it tonight. We have some people for over for a Buffy night / pre Christmas drinkies, so I don't think I'll be too productive tonight ;) Nor tomorrow with my uni reunion. ;)

Perhaps Thursday then!

15. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    Ok skipp, I've added some pther contact details to the page, but I can't be bothered fixing up the stylesheet stuff.

You can fix it when you nxt update right?

16. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    on my home comp, it's cutting off the ads again on the right.....

am I the only one who is having that problem, or is everyone else who uses internet explorer too? I'm sure OzSkipp would appreciate it if we tell him whats happening our end so he can get it right once and for all.......

17. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    On firefox, which I use on my laptop, the ads are showing just fine.

18. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    The general consensus is that it works in everything you can throw it at except PC IE. Bloody Microsoft (skip goes and sulks in a corner :( )

Could those of you that have IE on PC please let me know if this site works okay : http://www.ssi-developer.net/main/templates/temps/3c-hd-ft-flex.htm

If so, I'll pinch this template and adapt it. Once the next two or three days of silly season pass ;)

19. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    The right column is still a bit cut off. (I have IE)

20. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    Skipp, you'll be happy to know that you talked me into getting firefox! I love it!! Much better than IE and a lot faster loading. :)

Anyway, it's all cool with me now, although I don't have one of those high resolution monitor things like at uni - I might have to go over again tomorrow and have a look.

Not expecting you to do stuff at the moment, I know what it's like with Xmas and all......maybe take a holiday for a week or so - you deserve it!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.