main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga and the romantism

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Amon_Amarth, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm writing an essay about characteristics of romantism in kulture of these days. There are a lot of connections between Star Wars and many novels and poems of the romantic period in literature and art. Anakin can be a romantic hero ~ negative and positive character at the same time. Luke continues to carry the burden of the family. Cheating death is a motive that also appear in Poe's poem The Raven, etc.
    Any more ideas and thoughts?

2. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005

The Anakin And Padme storyline reminds me a bit of Wuthering Heights.except that in wuthering heights the larger than life lovers don't marry and Heathcliff is unrepentant.It also has the second generation fixing the mistakes of the first.

"My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath--a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind--not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being ? Cathy

Cathy also dies of a broken heart + Childbirth. Heathcliff bashes his head against a tree and never gets over her.

?You teach me how cruel you've been - cruel and false. Why do you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort. You deserve this. You have killed yourself. Yes, you may kiss me, and cry, and wring out my kisses and tears; they?ll blight you - they'll damn you. You loved me--then what right had you to leave me? What right--answer me--for the poor fancy you felt for Linton? Because misery, and degradation and death, and nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us, you, of your own will, did it. I have not broken your heart--you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine? Heathcliff

3. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I wasn't just thinking about the love story, butabout the other stuff as well. But do you know the author?

4. darthzeppo

darthzeppo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 21, 2005
    For Wuthering Heights it's Emily Bronte. She and her sisters gleaned alot from Lord Byrons (creater of the Byronic hero) poetry and life. He was also inlove with his halfsister. Those romantics were obsessed with brother sister incest just read anything by Shelley! His wife Mary came up with Frankenstien which is about the dangers of technology and the folly of trying to "Play God."
    Wordsworth and Coleridge ( in his youth) were really into treehugging Panthiesm and i think that "the force" is Pantheism mixed with Mancheism.

5. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Thanks. :) This will help me a lot.

6. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think Anakin being operated on at the end of ROTS is mostly a nod to Frankenstein (although to be fair, I'm only familiar with the story via Wishbone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.