main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Saga] Announcing the Star Wars Saga Forum's Banner Contest! (Deadline moved to 7/25)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Spike_Spiegel, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    So we are having a SWS Banner Contest!

We are taking submissions for a banner for the Saga Forum. It has to be a banner that in some way shows a link between all the films in the Saga. We are taking submissions until July 25 12:00 am board time.

There will be ONE winner. The winning banner will be chosen a panel of moderators. The winning banner will be applied to the Saga Forum.

You may post your entries in the thread at the SWS Forum. Final entries have to be sent to me by PM.

Here's the stuff you'll need:

[ul][li]Main banner image (foreground) - 764 x 110[/li]
    [li]Main Background image - 764 x 110 [/li]
    [li]Curve image - 69 x 69 [/li]
    [li]Side Bar image - 32 x 465[/li]
    [li]Left and Right adholders - 74 x 58[/li][/ul]

Please post your banner entries as one image or as separate elements (see below):

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/Images/Spring_2002/snapshot.jpg]
    JC Forums Banner (all elements)

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/images/Spring_2002/banner.jpg]
    Banner (foreground)

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/images/Spring_2002/curve.jpg]
    Curve

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/images/Spring_2002/left_strip.jpg]
    Sidebar

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/images/Spring_2002/background.jpg]
    Background

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/images/Mod_Squad_2002a/adholder_left.jpg]
    Ad Holder left

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/JC/images/Mod_Squad_2002a/adholder_rt.jpg]
    Ad Holder right[hr]

[b]Rules[/b]:

Only one banner submission per user.
    TheForce.Net should be visible.
    The Saga Forum title should also be visible.

Winner will get a title and a VIPship for a week.

NO EPISODE III SPOILER MATERIAL ALLOWED!

For any questions, feel free to post here or send me a PM!

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Prizes? Anything? [face_mischief]

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    You mean besides my eternal gratitude and the admiration of millions?

I forgot that. I thought people participated in banner contests out of their good will. :p

I'm consulting about this right now, but I don't see a problem with at least a title for the winner.

;)

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It's about time we had this contest. I've been starting to loose interest in the whole forum because of the current banner.

Well, good luck to everyone, and may the best man/woman/hutt win. :)

5. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "I've been starting to loose interest in the whole forum because of the current banner."

If you're losing interest in the entire forum because of the banner, Saga probably isn't your cup of tea to begin with. ;)

I never liked banner comps. There's a section of the site staff dedicated to making banners, particularly for the non-Community forums where competitions shouldn't be run. They should be utilised more often. It's one to include a forum's regular members in the design of a banner for the forum the frequent most often, I understand that kind of thing generates a community vibe to boards that require it. It's another to advertise JC-wide like this for a new banner, which is generally only of interest to people like jacemathem back there who'll seemingly do it for altered status and isn't at all interested in helping a forum.

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    If you're losing interest in the entire forum because of the banner, Saga probably isn't your cup of tea to begin with.

:D

Nah, i actually like the forum, just when i get sick of a banner, i loose interest in a forum. :p

Now for SWC...that isn't my cup of tea.

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It's another to advertise JC-wide like this for a new banner, which is generally only of interest to people like jacemathem back there who'll seemingly do it for altered status and isn't at all interested in helping a forum.

I disagree to a point. I think a lot of us out there (myself included) enjoy making new banners and are just happy to contribute our talents. If a banner doesn't fit the vibe of the forum it's intended for, it doesn't deserve to go up, no matter how great it may look.

What I don't think is appropriate is letting Mods and/or users who aren't forum regulars have a say in which banner goes up.

I will probably enter a banner for this contest, but since I don't think I've ever posted in the saga forum, I'll have to do a bit of research as to what look will work best.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I agree with DA on this.

If you loose interest in a forum because of the banner, there are also other reasons. If I like to post in a forum, I don't care what the banner looks like I'm still going to post there.

I love the banner in Saga, I think it is the best on the JC. I don't think that we should change it.
    As I have voiced my opinion in that specific forum.

I love The Saga Forum, I also love the banner (which I will be sad so see leave.)

-Seldon

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    For what it's worth, I told Spike the other day that I'm against a contest. In a small forum it just ends up getting the same regular banner makers making the same kinds of banners. Only in the big forums do you get a variety of banners from a variety of people...and even then, most of them are just random members having a shot at bannermaking.

My position is that the Saga banner is good. If the thought is there to change the banner, enlist a known and trusted bannermaker to make one, and if it turns out better than the current banner, then great, use it.

But a contest forces the banner to be changed, even if it isnt for the better.

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I also agree with Dagsy.
    Saga is a small forum...the contest will not produce enough entries.
    Furthermore I love the banner as it is, there is really no need for this in my opinion.

11. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    If a new banner is abslutley necessary, maybe the site staff should be contacted and a thread started for regulars to link to any images they feel must be in it. The staff designers can then be directed to that thread. That way the regular users have a say in what gets into the banner and there's no lunacy about banner comps/colours/titles/yadda/yadda/yadda

12. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    You should probably have some kind of vote before a banner competition starts asking if the regulars want to keep the current banner or not. It sounds like this particular banner is well liked and if the majority of the regulars want to keep it, then it should be kept.

13. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    people like jacemathem back there who'll seemingly do it for altered status and isn't at all interested in helping a forum.

That's my favorite false assumption against me so far, I have to write that one down. [face_plain]

I only asked because he initially didn't specify anything along those lines, and I feel that the person whose banner gets chosen should at least be recognized for it because banners are difficult.

14. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    "That's my favorite false assumption against me so far..."

Ah, I see.

So a far safer assumption would be that if you won such a banner comp or got any of your icons uploaded in the near future, you'd be happy to skip the VIP status and titles.....just to prove your comments are are true.

Correct?

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002

Perhaps the artist who made the current banner could sumbit it into the contest (maybe with slight adjustments), so that if there is no better banner, then the current one stays.

I could make a banner to get some new artists on the forums, but my banner skills are not excellent (as demonstrated here )

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I think that if jacemathem did not care about getting VIP status, then he would give them up right now to prove that he could care less. To prove that he does it for the good of the site and not for his personal colors.

I'm not trying to attack him or anything. I'm just saying that if he could care less, then he should give up VIP status and prove us wrong.

-Seldon

17. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    Not that I'm required to prove anything to you, but...

OK, if any mod reads this, you can feel free to take my VIP status away from me if you want to, I could care less. I only got it because a banner I made just to test out banner-making was selected for the SSSW forum.

And besides, I'm not even going to enter the Saga banner contest because I have no time. I just wanted to make sure that whoever "wins" this banner contest should be recognized for their work.

18. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Sorry to post this, but it really bugs me when someone says "I could care less". You should say "I couldn't care less" (unless of course you actually could care less, which I don't think you mean).

19. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    How in the heck did this become about jace and his VIP status? If that's what he gets for doing a banner, he (and the others who receive the VIP status) don't need to be insulted by others who don't view their contribution as important. Good grief.

20. DarthAttorney

Nov 8, 2000
    Where's the insult?

The point was made that some people could view banner making as a means to VIP status only.

People like making banners.
    Cool, nobody's stopping them.

I'm saying Community forums should be running banner comps, smaller forums like Saga have other alternatives to offering people who don't even post in the forum VIP status.

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There is no insult, this is all very important to this discussion.

Members entering the competition in order to gain prizes, can be a problem if that user does not often go to that forum and is only doing it for the prize.

-Seldon

22. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    The point was made that some people could view banner making as a means to VIP status only.

No, your point was that jace viewed it as a means to VIP status only. A pretty big assumption, and, therefore, insult, since you have no idea of his motivations for making the banner. If you were trying to make a general point about people getting VIP status who don't post in the forum, you didn't need to use him as an example.

I'm saying Community forums should be running banner comps, smaller forums like Saga have other alternatives to offering people who don't even post in the forum VIP status.

I'm not disagreeing with you there. However, the mods of the forums could make a restriction that the first priority goes to forum members who want to make the banners. Dags mentioned using a well-known banner maker to do the smaller forum banners and that's a great idea, but some of them get really busy and don't have the time to complete a forum-specific banner. The point is, that each moderator should decide what's best for his/her forum and go forward from there. If they have submissions from users that post and don't post in the forum, ultimately, it's their decision on which banner they want to use.

23. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002

That doesn't have to be true. A choice could be concievable made to keep the current banner if none of the entries are deemed good enough.

Look, I do understand your concerns but making a banner contests we can get more than just one entry and be able to choose. If I just contacted one bannermaker and asked him/her to make me a banner and it is incredibly crappy I'm either stuck with it or I'll maybe even hurt the bannermaker's feelings by refusing to put it up.

By having a contest, we could have a more diverse choice of banner and the probability of getting a great banner is higher.

I also do understand that both of you guys, DA and Dagsy, have really strong feelings towards Saga. This is something I understand and even count on, especially when I need some advice from Dags. All I am asking here is that you guys and the users of Saga, who also have really strong feelings towards the forum, give this contest a chance. When the time comes that we, the members of Saga, decide for a banner, I will also put up the current banner so if the majority believes that none of the banners are good enough, we keep it. Fair enough?

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Sounds fair Spike.

As long as we have the option to keep the old banner if as you say one is not deemed good enough for the new banner.

25. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I think that's a great solution to the issue, Spike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.