main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Banner Contest (Winner Announced!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Spike_Spiegel, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    My PM was for nr 6.

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Just a reminder to everyone that the voting ends tonight at 8:00 PM board time. Please make sure you send in your vote to me via PM, even if you voted in the thread. Thanks.

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate jacemathem. He is the designer of the winning banner of the contest and I'd like to offer a big thumbs up on a job well done. Congrats, jace! :D

4. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    HOORAY!!!! Congratulations, jace :)

5. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    So an unfinished banner won?

6. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    A beautiful banner won.
    It's just like Star Wars. It won our hearts when it was far from finished and now, it nears completion at last.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It is a great banner.
    Worthy of the forum it is in.
    Congrats Jace.

8. TurinTurambar

TurinTurambar Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2004
    So we have:

1) Unfinished banner when the vote started
    2) Unfinished banner was not even finished asap when the point was made
    3) Unfinished banner at the end of voting
    4) Zoe's banner winning the legitimate vote
    5) That is despite people with no forum history voting for jace
    6) The contest wasnt ended at the end of the official voting time, and a number of newbies with no history here decide to vote for jaces unfinished banner after the contest was closed.
    7) The vote is officially extended (even though it could have been closed at the official ending), and now all previous votes are invalidated, and PMs have to now be sent.
    8) Unfinished banner wins, and is now to be put up at some unknown time.

Sounds to me like this was a farce.

If the mods wanted to make a proper competition, they shouldnt have included an unfinished banner. If the mods wanted to make a proper competition, they should discount votes by socks/newbie accounts/people with no history (notice I didnt vote, before people start trying to point that out). If the mods wanted a proper competition, they should have ended voting at the official ending. Spikes absence didnt stop -_-_-_-_-_- ending the competition at the right time.

Looks to me like a poorly run contest, that was all but rigged. At the very least, it was a silly oversight to allow the unfinished banner to be included, and then downright puzzling why the remaining forum mod left the competition open, when he could have closed it himself. Puzzling, bordering on suspicious, given the banner he voted for was the one to gain from the situation.

9. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    Yay, politics. <sigh>

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    TurinTurambar: The voting was done by private message. Unless you are a moderator you don't know who voted. People expressed opinions in this thread but all official votes were cast by PM. So you really cannot comment on who voted. Regardless of their forum history they are allowed to vote. It is a rule, this is not a private club. This is an open forum for everyone to express their opinions and views. From how I understand it Spike_Spiegel was having computer problems and was unable to end the competition at it's original set ending. By keeping it open longer, more people were able to express their views and the banner that the most amount of people wanted won.

There were many wonderful banners in the competition. Yet the members have spoken and a winner chosen. There is no reason to be angry about it. The competition was open for a long period of time and more people were allowed to express their opinions. I'm confident the moderators did not count any votes cast by a sock.

I can't speak for Dash, but he just became the moderator in this forum. I would cut him a little slack.

That is just my take on it.

Thanks
    Seldon

11. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    gongrats there jacemathem

12. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Congrats, Jace. :)

Although, certainly the most afwul banner contest ever. :p

The winner shoul be Zoe, for she is the only one with a finished banner. :p

In the old days, unfinished banners even weren't allowed to enter the voting process.

Anyway, I also like Jace's banner the most, but it's kinda unfair he won with an unfinished product.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    There is no controversy on this topic. The vote was legitmately done and the winner is jacemathem. I'd like everyone who has any complaints about the voting process or the contest to PM myself or Spike rather than derailing the thread. Thanks.

14. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
  15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Does Jace have any idea when it will be finished.
    I'm not putting pressure or anything, I was just wondering when the new one would be coming.

-Seldon

16. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Cut me some slack, my world has suddenly been turned upside-down and on top of that there was a death in the family yesterday.

The banner will be up soon.

17. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I'm sorry for your loss jacemathem.
    I'm not trying to push you or anything. I was just curious.

Sorry again for your loss,
    Seldon

18. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "...the vote was legitmately done and the winner is jacemathem."

[face_laugh]

It's all true except....it's false.

The winning banner wasn't, and still isn't, finished (only finished banners are supposed to be submitted for this very reason) and another submission won the vote (votes submitted after a deadline shouldn't count). Are you taking bribes here or what Dashy? The number of ring-in votes obviously means the person who won advertised externally.

An excellent start to the new era of Saga Community!
    Listen to me in Communications, Spike should have.
    Now, matters are worse.

"...he just became the moderator in this forum...."

If he's new to the forum, why is he running banner comps in here?
    In fact, why are there banner comps in here at all?
    The mind boggles!

19. TurinTurambar

TurinTurambar Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2004
    This contest was started on the 11th of June.

Jaces banner was unfinished by the 27th of July when the voting took place. Spike himself admitted that:
    "I put it in there because it seemed to be a good banner and I hoped I would be PMed the rest of it. I need the rest of the banner ASAP. "

This never happened.

The contest finished, and Zoe won. Then due to unfortunate issues with Spike, it wasnt called.

Dashy, you came in and went all wishy-washy because it wasnt your forum. You extended the contest, scrapping all the legitimate votes showing that Zoe won. Jace won when it was finally called on the 11th of August. A full 2 months after the contest started, and Jace still hadnt finished the banner.

When it was pointed out, Dashy got very unprofessional, and wanted to stifle a discussion on the matter.

Jace then comes in and says that he's had private life issues of late. Sorry to hear that.

But that was 2 months and 4 days after the contest started. Its no excuse for not having the banner.

And now, another week after that, there is still nothing.

That makes 2.5 months, and jace gives nothing more than the main picture. There is no way that is ok.

This is a pathetic excuse at a banner contest. It has been abused by a member, and been allowed to be ruined by moderators that wont put their foot down and do their jobs.

I can tell you 100% that neither of the previous forum mods would have done this shoddy job. Jaces banner wouldnt have gotten past the entry stage. The current mods are putting the forum to shame.

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "In fact, why are there banner comps in here at all?"

That was my argument in comms when Spike mentioned a contest. This is the forum for cross-trilogy discussion, not contests.

Seeing that there was a contest anyway, there was nothing I could do so I went along with it.

Jace any word on that banner?

-Seldon

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "....there was nothing I could do so I went along with it."

Why would you be able to do anything about it?
    You're a user in here like everyone else.

22. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Well I know I could not do anything. A few of us argued against a contest in Comms. Seeing that there was nothing in my argument that would stop the creation of a contest, I went along with it.

-Seldon

23. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Read my post in the Comms thread about it. I can finish that banner if people want me, but if they're going to disrespect what I have going on in my life, then to hell with them and the banner. This is a messageboard, not a career. I make my own time schedule.

I really don't care any which way. I can finish it or not.

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    At this point your banner won the contest. So it is not a matter of "I will complete it if I feel like it". At this point you have a responsiblity to all of the members who voted for you, that you complete the banner as you said you would.

I know I don't mean any disrespect. However you have had 2.5 months to get this banner finished.

-Seldon

25. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    That's a bit harsh on Jace I feel. He's stated in the comms thread that he didn't actually submit his entry as he didn't finish it in time, so it's not his fault that his banner was in the running when it was unfinished. IMHO it's just an error on the mod's part for allowing an unfinished banner to be voted for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.