main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Banner Contest (Winner Announced!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Spike_Spiegel, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'd like to repost my comments from the thread in Comms discussing the Saga banner contest. Please take the time to read it if you have not.

I'm going to take this opportunity to address the situation and explain things from my perspective.

I received a PM from Spike on August 9th discussing a few issues related to Saga. In this same message, Spike informed me that he was having problems with his phone service and would be unable to access the internet from his home and would not be able to do so until the situation which resolved, for which he didn't give a definite timeline. He asked me to take care of the banner contest and gave no specifics on what needed to be done at this point nor the status of the contest overall.

The contest was originally scheduled to end on July 31 at midnight board time. At this point, I was reluctant to trust the voting that had occurred in the thread since I was not there from the beginning and I wanted to insure that it was legitimate. It was because of this that I extended the vote and made it a PM vote with the intentions of A) Giving the vote legitimacy since several votes were cast in the thread after the original end date, in addition to prevent anyone from voting multiple times with a sock and B) Allow anyone who may have missed the original vote to do so. I posted a notice of the new PM vote in the thread twice with reminders of the deadline (8 PM board time on 8/11) and even edited the title to reflect the current state of the thread: Saga Banner Contest Voting Thread. Vote Now!!!! (Updated - Please Read).

As I have understood, it has always been standard procedure to not allow unfinished banners into a contest and I do not know why an exception was made in this case. I cannot speak on behalf of Spike nor explain his actions, however I can and do accept responsibility for my own. My actions were legitimate and in the interest of maintaining the integrity of the contest. I will be the first to admit that I have no experience with banner contests and perhaps that was reflected in this case, but not once did I manipulate the outcome of the contest or do anything to jeopardize the results.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I can wait for jace´s banner. The wait just makes the pay-off greater!
    Oh, and jace: I'm sorry about your situation. I hope it'll get better soon.

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    As some of you have read in Comms, I have decided to void this entire contest and therein the results of. In the coming week, I will be organizing things for a new contest which will be announced within the next 2 weeks. I apologize for the confusion and chaos caused by this last contest and I encourage all banner makers to get on the ball to get some exciting choices for the upcoming contest.

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    So the graphic failure of this banner comp isn't enough to convince the administration that banner comps and other Community-oriented events are inappropriate for Saga?

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It was ONE incident. It won't happen again. Just let's move on and start the new banner contest!

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    You really can't blame anyone for this contest. Whether you believe Saga should or should not have a banner contest....you can't blame the mods. The first moderator who began the contest, lost access to the internet, the second moderator just came in and had to make sure the contest results were valid. Finally the winning artist had some real life issues. It was just a bunch of things that went wrong at once and ruined the contest.

I personally don't think Saga should have a banner contest.
    However I won't type messages blaming the moderators. There was a contest, and it really was not their fault it did not go over well.

-Seldon

7. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    its been a while, where is it?

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    See my post above, Cheebo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.