main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Significance of film quotes

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth-Seldon, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Examining the significance or irony of Star Wars Saga quotes.
    I always think about this sort of thing when watching the films.
    I will begin and then all of you can add any quotes you like.

?This weapon is your life.?
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi from Attack of the Clones

He says this after Anakin lost his lightsaber. Thinking about the entire Saga we have to realize that in many ways the losing the saber is very symbolic of Anakin?s journey. Obi-Wan tells him it is his life and not to loose it. Despite the lesson Anakin does lose control of his life by joining Palpatine. So in a lot of ways the saber is his life because both become lost.

?Yes, yes It?s a flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.?
    -Yoda Attack of the Clones

Well this is one of the biggest flaws of the Jedi Order. The Council and Obi-Wan are too sure of their ways. That they are correct and wise. So in truth Yoda is not just referring to Anakin?s arrogance over his abilities but all of their arrogance over the methods implemented.

?This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things.?

-Yoda The Empire Strikes Back

Again this is another time where there is a double meaning. The one immediate obvious is that it is the story of Luke?s life. If you look back it also plainly refers to Anakin. Anakin loved racing pods for the fun of it all, the adventure. In ?Rogue Planet? it begins with Anakin off on his adventure seeking excitement. That while Anakin was in the order those were things he did. Anakin always looked off Tatooine as a child to a life in the stars. So it refers to both. For those who watch the saga in chronological order, it will be a dismal message. The future watchers will think ?Is this a message that Luke too will fail?? A great piece of dialogue which fits in well with the Prequel Trilogy.

Owen: Where are you going?
    Anakin: To find my mother.
    -AOTC
    Aunt Beru: Where are you going?
    Luke: It looks like I?m going nowhere. I have to go finish cleaning those droids.
    -ANH

I love these two scenes and how they connect. You have to realize they are in the same room at the same table and both Anakin and Luke are sitting in the same chair. Anakin left the table knowing what his immediate plans were. He was determined a bit afraid but he had a plan. Luke was frustrated and angry and had no plan for what to do. Judging from what I just wrote you would think immediately that Luke would turn to the dark side, first at least. If you look at the Yoda scale

Fear=Anger=Hate=Suffering
    Anakin at the end of his scene is only at Fear
    while Luke is a bit angry

Yet in the end Anakin discovers a dead mother which decides his future for him. He is to turn.
    Luke discovers Obi-Wan Kenobi and his destiny is decided. He will bring an end to the Empire.
    So after they leave that table both destinies are formed. Their fate depends on who they find at the end of it.

Leia: Your friend is quite a mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything...or anybody.
    -A New Hope

This is a nice line especially when you compare Han Solo to Anakin Skywalker (TPM). Anakin agrees to help strangers without any thought of reward. He gives without any thought of compensation. In the beginning all Han Solo thinks about is reward. In the end Han Solo becomes an all time hero for the rest of his life he helps the galaxy. Anakin becomes one of the most evil men in the galaxy.

C3P0: Thank the Maker
    he says this many times in both the films and the books.
    It is so ironic because every time he is thanking Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker.
    A character he is both afraid of and despises.

Well that is it for now, I will probably have more later.
    Feel free to add you own things.
    This thread is really for everyone to contribute their own thoughts on various quotes.

-Seldon

2. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Seldon, I must say, "This forum is for in-depth discussions that bridge the entire SW Saga. Light-hearted, 'What if?' and topical threads should be posted in the SW Community Forum. For information about the purpose and rules of this forum visit the Rules & Announcements Thread."

Just kidding! Actually, good thread. I must agree with your assessment of Kenobi's line, "This weapon is your life." Further credence is added by Palpatine's line in ROTJ when he says, "A Jedi's weapon." Although Palpatine may be skilled in the "Jedi arts," including use of lightsabres, his rejection of the weapon in front of Vader amplifies the choice Anakin made to give up that weapon for a return to the life of slave, to a master he must obey.

I'll be adding parallels later. Again, good thread.

3. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Thanks PalpatineAntikristos, I should expect that line in this forum.
    Ha

Yes very good point, further adding it to a ROTJ line.
    There is just so much of these things that the quotes could keep coming for a long while.

-Seldon

4. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Great thread Seldon.

I've always loved these two lines:
    "Are you sure about this? Trusting our fate to a boy we hardly know?"

and

"Luke, you've switched off your computer. Is something wrong?"

One is about a nine-year old boy trying to help a queen and the other is about a 19-year old rookie pilot trying to save an entire rebellion, and what's great is the doubt cast upon both. But the will of the Force prevailed.

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him"

I may take this quote way out of proportion but in the PT there's a whooole lot of foolish following going on. The Jedi who are directed by the republic, the Neimodians who are directed by Darth Sidious, Padme being directed by Palpatine, then because of that an entire Republic being directed by Palpatine, Anakin by Palpatine, Seperatists by Dooku, who in turn by Sidious etc. etc.

It makes me wonder if Obi-Wan in all those years figured out exactly how deep the roots of their being tricked lay.

More Later....

6. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Wow, that's a good one Obi-Frans!

Now let me see....how about..

"Remember a Jedi's strenght flows from the the force."

..it always struck me how Yoda, in ESB and ROTJ, put so much emphasis on this. Don't forget. A jedi's strength flows from the force.
    I thought about this for a long time...Suddenly it hit me. The Force is one's spiritual, essential self, the "force ghost" which remains after the Jedi physically dies. If a Jedi identifies with this self he is in tune with the force. More important; to be a jedi is to identify with this self. Ofcourse this self knows no fear, no anger, no hate and no suffering; it is the opposite of these darkside qualities. From the single moment a jedi, or Luke in this case, starts to listen , starts giving in to fear, he grows out of tune with the Force, he starts walking down the dark path, towards the darkside.

Very important here is the fact, that it isn't power which is a true Jedi's obective or motive; it's balance. Fear, anger and hate can make your more powerfull, but 'eventually' it's youre undoing. Balance is a necessity to be in tune with the force.

And the 'eventual' moment has arrived. Luke has to face his father to become a true Jedi. The moment has arrived where the possibilties of the darkside have ended. No more people to manipulate, no more lies to be told. A Jedi who is in tune with the force cannot be touched these illusions the darkside spreads, For he sees clear, he is in balance. No fear to cloud his mind, no anger to stress his body, no hate to ponder his soul and eventually no suffering to quiet his love, (for his father). A true Jedi lives the truth because he is the truth. If this means he has to die, indeed; so be it, jedi.

I hope this makes any sense, I find it difficult to write about it! :)

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    No, that's great T_D. Thanks for that :)

Leia: Your friend is quite a mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything...or anybody.
    -A New Hope

This is a nice line especially when you compare Han Solo to Anakin Skywalker (TPM).

Oh, that's a good one, Seldon. I hadn't thought of that at all. Good catch.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Great stuff so far.

"When you gamble my friend, you eventually loose"
    -QGJ
    I don't have a copy of TPM screenplay I think that is how it was written.

Anyway QGJ is scolding Watto for the gambling. If you think about it QGJ made the biggest gamble of the galaxy on Anakin. In the beginning of the podrace Watto thought he would win it for sure. The first ten years of Anakin's life as a Jedi things are going fine...and QGJ's gamble seemed to have worked.

Then Anakin began his walk down the dark path. Did QGJ make a mistake about him? The Jedi are killed and the Sith have revenge. Then finally Anakin comes back to the good side. It is just funny that QGJ tells Watto not to gamble, when the Jedi is taking a huge gamble.

-Seldon

9. Tokio_Drifter

Dec 24, 2003
    Perhaps Qui-gon doesn't see his choice as a gamble; he doesn't doubt the outcome for one second. I guess he trusts his feelings that much.

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "They were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."
    Leia Organa from the ANH Novel

"Well it looks like your at the right place, at the right time."
    Padme's Father AOTC talking about Anakin

I like looking at these two lines together.
    The natural conclusion from reading these two lines is that if you follow Leia's logic, Anakin is no hero. Anakin is at the right place at the right time.

It is nothing deep or anything, I just like looking at those two lines together.

-Seldon

11. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    When I left you I was but the learner......now I AM the master.

You can't tell me this line won't have more impact 300 days from now.

12. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Has anyone caught the irony in

"Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?" Obi-wan to anakin, AOTC

I find this terribly funny, considering it is Vader who kills Obi-wan

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "Not likely we have nothing to value, thats our problem"

-QGJ

Within a few hours you will have the most valuable person in the galaxy, Anakin and he will be a big problem.

Anyone else catch that. He will have the one guy who will shape the galaxy forever, who also happens to be a problem.

-Seldon

14. Tokio_Drifter

Dec 24, 2003

The 'Dreams pass in time'.

This line here.... hauntingly beautifull.
    This has to do with the great many things it connects with.

It's sounds wise at first. A kind of reaction which is supposed to be soothing..., but if you think of it a bit longer...i find it actually really disturbing.. to me it shows Obi-wan his lack of understanding (at that point in the saga) aswell towards his padawan learner as towards life/the force in general. If he understood the boy any better, he wouldn't been lost (eventually) in the 'forest' of consequence, because all the issues he has with his apprentice stem from the boy his inner conflict, that he cannot choose the things he longs for so desperate.

15. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002

I have always wondered if Anakin's line "Oh no not again, Obi-Wan is gonna kill me." after his light saber malfunction in convoyer belt scene has some foreshadowing. Can it point at the Duel and tell the reason why Obi-Wan beats finally Anakin?

16. Tokio_Drifter

Dec 24, 2003
    Well, technically he lost himself in the living force once more, by just doing 'it', without using his head (unifying force): He fights his way trough the machines to save padme, instead of finding a (smarter, more appropriate) way to stop them killing her, like R2 did. In his reglessness his saber gets cut in two. I think his reaction is related to his behaviour as stated above; He acted in a way, Obi wan most certainly would disapprove.

17. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I think that Obi-Wan's problems stem from the fact that he can't relate to Anakin. Obi-Wan grew up in the temple all his life. He can't relate to Anakin in many ways because the boy had a family at one time. He has the whole conflict inside, and the need to connect with others. Obi-Wan can't really understand this because he never had anything like Anakin. That is the major issue with those two, in my opinion.
    Obi-Wan just can't understand Anakin in AOTC because they both had such a different early life.

Very good thinking with the dreams line.

-Seldon

18. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    AWSOME THERAD GUYS !!!!!!

When reading thought this, i kept thinking about the line that so meany people say thru out the saga

"I have a bad feeling about this"

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Yet in the end Anakin discovers a dead mother which decides his future for him. He is to turn.
    Luke discovers Obi-Wan Kenobi and his destiny is decided. He will bring an end to the Empire.
    So after they leave that table both destinies are formed. Their fate depends on who they find at the end of it.

Simply beautiful. This analogy is so true that it brought tears to my eyes. Nice work, Seldon.

20. Tokio_Drifter

Dec 24, 2003
    "You must do what you feel is right, ofcourse"
    -Obi Wan Kenobi

This line here resembles Obi-Wan his truth at that point in the saga, which once, was the opposite. The word ofcourse implies it is a natural understanding; we know by know, he once felt very different about it. During the events of episode I and II(and possibly episde III), we see an Obi-wan who isn't quite happy with the choices others make, esspecially Qui-gon, and Anakin, who seem to make them without any thought at all. He constantly questions their choices.

He finally has learned to let go.

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The 'Dreams pass in time'.

This line here.... hauntingly beautifull.
    This has to do with the great many things it connects with.

It also strongly echos the line in The Phantom Menace:

Anakin: Nobody can kill a Jedi.
    Qui-Gon: I wish that were so.

Both lines reveal a sense of world weariness and regret that seems to be the mark of a Jedi during the golden age of the Republic.

22. Tokio_Drifter

Dec 24, 2003
    Yes Durwood, good catch. It's like he once dreamed of immortality aswell like Qui-gon, like Anakin, like anybody?

It's also reflect upon Obi-wan's character at that point in the Saga. He seems very sceptical to me, very realistic, like when a teenager has to choose an eductation and wants to go to artschool because he sees himself as a future artist, his parents will dissaprove and say stuff like: 'why don't you choose something valuable, like an economic eductation, which will give you guarantees etc' bla bla, you know what i mean. Anakin ofcourse is an idealist, he states anything is possible.
    Well it must have been very painfull for Anakin having a 'father' who thinks fundamentally different.

It connects in many ways.

23. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I really think that some of the best lines in AOTC were cut from the film.
    Here are a few AOTC ones that really summarize the Jedi and their flaws.

Jocasta Nu speaking about QGJ and Dooku
    " Oh, yes. They were alike in many ways. Very individual thinkers...idealists."

I think that fact that it is peculiar for a Jedi of the old order to be an individual thinker is a major weakness. Most Jedi don't think for themselves at all, they just accept the council. I think this is a weakness. In the new jedi order you have bunch of Jacen Solo's running around thinking about what it means to be a Jedi. Very different. Thinking has its advantages. QGJ would have never found Anakin if it were not for his own thinking, this is a blessing and a curse. That is why Anakin thinks also because he knows he would not be around if QGJ did not disobey the council. So he sees the advantages of thinking without council approval.

Padme: shhh...you're human.
    Anakin: No, I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this.

I think this is another major issue with Anakin and perhaps the whole Jedi order. They consider themselves so much better. I think that the Sith have the same issue. The over-confidence of Sith/Jedi is their downfall as Luke said. The darkside or lightside...whoever is in power at the time is very over confident.

"Obi-Wan you must have faith that the boy will choose the right path."
    -Mace Windu

I think it is that over confidence again. Where Mace and Yoda sort of ignore Obi-Wan's worries and just sort of pass it off as he will choose the right path.

C-3P0: For a mechanic, yyou seem to do an excessive amount of thinking. I'm programmed to understand humans.

I always get a laugh out of this line. The whole Saga 3P0 is confused about humans yet here he says that he understands them.

"So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?"
    -Yoda TESB

I think this is evidence that Yoda learned his own lesson. The Jedi were always so certain. They never did it unless they had the council's approval. Perhaps old Yoda sees that this was a fatal flaw.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
    -Vader
    Reminds me of how the orginal deal in TPM was for Anakin to stay in the cockpit of the plane yet he found a way to get into combat without breaking the deal. Or the deal he broke in AOTC. He was supposed to stay on Naboo. Later he was supposed to stay with Padme at the homestead. In every film Anakin is either altering the deals or finding a way around it without breaking it. Funny that Vader should say that.

-Seldon

24. BobaNotJodo

BobaNotJodo Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    This isn't as in depth or intelligently written as my predecessors on this subject.....But a funny quote is from Dak "I feel like I can take on the whole Empire myself". All he took on was the crushing foot of an AT-AT. Ouch!

25. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Obi -"Its not Disrespect Master it?s the Truth?
    Qui ? ?From a certain point of view?
    Obi ? ?The boy is dangerous. They all sense it why cant you?"
    Qui - "His future is uncertain, that should be enough for you, now get aborad."

A conservation between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in ep I

Obi - "You father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I have told you was true...from a certain point of view."

Luke -"A certain point of view!"

Obi - "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

conservation between Obi and Luke in ep VI

*forgot what I was gonna write next. . .someone help please *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.