main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'...said the spider to the fly' - Clarifying the interspecies 'shipping mess

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SpeldoriontheBlended, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    First, romances in which neither is human is the topic for this thread, not a cause for dismissing a case. Second, the Beast is not, at the time of the story, human. He looks like and, more importantly, thinks of himself as something other. Similarly, Fiona is not half-ogre; she is a human who takes the appearance (but not the mind) of an ogre at certain times. She's still 100% human during the daylight hours, which is when the first romantic stirrings occur. It's only after love's first kiss turns each into the respective partner's species that these cease to be examples.

The question thus raised: Can a writer start an interspecies romance on the promise that one partner or the other will be transformed by it? Would Jaina/Lowie be okay if he became human at the end (or if she became a Wookiee)?

2. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Actually, Devaronians were removed from the allowed list. Naturally, any species is allowed to mate within their species. It would be stupid to disallow that.

Isn't that somewhat strange? I mean, Kapp Dendo, for example, is human in all but horns. Why does that exclude him?

This might have already been answered, I didn't read the entire thread. But Devaronian males are essentially a lot like Minotaurs without fur and their horns are not as long, more like devil horns. I can't remember if there is a tail or not, but I think there isn't.

And a Devaronian female is more catlike so to speak and completely covered in calico covered fur. I only know those details because i play a Devaronian female in a rp, and she's partners with a Devaronian male that are currently hunting Jedi. Yes that part was off topic, my apologies but yeah, with the consideration of what is considered not acceptable on JCF, Devaronians wouldn't be considered acceptable.

Now here's another question (and like I said it might have been answered), what about a Twi'lek/Devaronian pairing? Devaronian females are possessive and tend to stick with their particular males cause they are relatively homebodies and don't leave Devaron, but what if a male Devaronian were to get with a Twi'lek female? Or is that too much like if a human/Devaronian got together?

~~Jilly

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I'd say it's too close. They're borderline humanoid, I'm just not entirely sure which side they fall on, so I'm saying no to them unless proven wrong.

Dana

4. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Yeah Twi'lek's are tricky. Humanoid like for the most part, but they have those lekku that are very sensitive, but then they have teeth like a Devaronian, at least the males do, I don't think they ever really did a close up for a female Twi'lek's smile.

~~Jilly

5. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I haven't posted in this thread at all yet. Interesting.

And at this moment, I can't think of anything to say, either -- 'Blended and EnelyaSol pretty much summed up my points. Well. Kind of.

I still think it's a little odd to not allow so many interspecies pairings in a science fiction universe, but well...no further comment, guv'nor.

edit: I can type, I swear.

6. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Yittreas: What, you or Teh Hawkgirl? ?[face_plain] :p

Drabbo_Fett: Yeah... [face_plain]

Except for the fact that Fiona's actually a CGI construct akin to Guri... [face_mischief]

Mel: Point, however, if you'll notice in Beauty and the Beast, we are told before the movie really even STARTS that the Beast is fundementally HUMAN, and not another species, and in the end, he ends up Human again anyways which practically negates that whole issue.

Um, Your Wonderfulness? I respectfully disagree... [face_mischief]

In Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Jekyll is a sane, compasionate man. Hyde is a vicious, violent monster. Does the fact that Heckle ( :p ) is the good doctor around being Hyde stop Hyde from still being scum when he's beating up nine-yearold girls? [face-confused]

The Donkey and Dragon in Shrek... uh... its... well, it SHOULD be physically impossible (oh God I hope so..) and I felt it was more of a humor plot device then anything real.

[face_laugh]

Genetic modification...

*mutters*

But I disagree - it was making a point that all diferences, no matter how insurmountable they seem, can be overcome with enough perseverance... [face_mischief]

Shrek and Fiona, once again, Fiona was half-Ogress, and she, like the Beast, ended up as an Oger in the end. (Well, so the Beast turned Human and Fiona into a beast but... I think you get the point) Therefore negating the entry of Beauty and the Beast and Shek as valid points of arguments because they could and did change into the same species as their significant other.

^Ogress [face_mischief]

Again, not the point here - unless...

I am going to invent werewolves in the GFFA so I can pair one with a Shistavenan. [face_devil]

And besides, I don't think that Lowie could suddenly turn into a human when Jaina kissed him. ;)

Drabbo: Hmmm... I like...

Chrysalis? ?[face_plain]

Metamorphosis? ?[face_plain]

[face_mischief]

JainaDurron: This might have already been answered, I didn't read the entire thread. But Devaronian males are essentially a lot like Minotaurs without fur and their horns are not as long, more like devil horns. I can't remember if there is a tail or not, but I think there isn't.

From what I remember of X-wing: Blood and Honour (If that's the right one) Kapp Dendo washuman enough to wear Imperial standard issue scout armour once a pair of holes had been drilled in the top of the helmet...

I'll see if I can find the pic... :D

And a Devaronian female is more catlike so to speak and completely covered in calico covered fur. I only know those details because i play a Devaronian female in a rp, and she's partners with a Devaronian male that are currently hunting Jedi. Yes that part was off topic, my apologies but yeah, with the consideration of what is considered not acceptable on JCF, Devaronians wouldn't be considered acceptable.

Yeah... that's sort of my point... [face_mischief]

Dana: I'd say it's too close. They're borderline humanoid, I'm just not entirely sure which side they fall on, so I'm saying no to them unless proven wrong.

Mods can be proved wrong? :eek::eek::eek:

:p

I don't quite see myself how they're not completely humanoid, but I'll do my best to prove you wrong... :D

*Suddenly giggles*

Kapp Dendo=Mr. Tumnus! :p

JainaDurron:
    Yeah Twi'lek's are tricky. Humanoid like for the most part, but they have those lekku that are very sensitive, but then they have teeth like a Devaronian, at least the males do, I don't think they ever really did a close up for a female Twi'lek's smile.

*reads*

*blinks*

*Swells up like a pufferfish*

WHA-

*takes several deep, calming breaths and deflates slowly*

Right.

Twi-leks are humanoid.

Now, I looked up 'humanoid' in my Concise Oxford, and, suprisingly, couldn't find it. So I went on the website instead, and got this:

humanoid
    /hyoom'a'noyd/

? adjective having human characteristics.

? noun a humanoid being.

7. Moff_Yittreas

Moff_Yittreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    Splendorian: *whistles innocently while jerking head towards Beyond the Saga forum* :p

8. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    *Tweetles in a distrubingly Artoo-like fashion and cocks head to the side*

Bweetle-bweep? :confused:

:p

9. Moff_Yittreas

Moff_Yittreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    *brandishes electro-mace* :p

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just wanting to say hi and that I'm reading up on all that going on with this particular question/debate/discussion. :D

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Twi'leks naturally have fangs, but the females are forced to sand theirs flat so they look like ordinary human teeth. Says so in the YJK books, with Nolaa Tarkona.

(Of course, it also says that female Devaronians look like female versions of the male ones. Kambrea, a female, does not have fur, does have horns and fangs.)

Dana

12. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the fuss over inter-species couples in the Star Wars universe, as long as both members are of clearly sentient species...and I'm not even talking about the concept of mating or anything like that at this point. I agree that in a speculative universe as Star Wars, with as many diverse species/races as it has, that it seems strange that there couldn't be more inter-species couples?

For instance, would any of the following couples be considered off-limits:

--An Elomin and a Zabrak (both are humanoid, and presumably mammalian, with horns)?
    --A Zabrak female and a Devaronian male (same case as above)?
    --A Human and a Weequay?
    --A Human and an Ubese?
    --A Bith and a Givin?
    --A Human and a Duros?

or a little more varied...

--A Human and a Sullustan?
    --A true Sith and a Human?
    --A Rodian and a Trandoshan?
    --A Human and a Ithorian? A bit strange, I know, but still, I don't see it as an "impossible couple."

or (as one of the couples who seem to be together in the "Star Wars: Republic" comics series is)...

--A Human and a Neti?

Let me know what you think... Thanks. :)

13. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    I think the human pairings have pretty much been covered in the rules. Like it or not -- I don't, but I've resigned myself to things being as they are -- most of them are not going to be allowed, and the mods have made it clear the topic's not open to discussion at present. :(

For the others, I'm curious to see what the mods would say on Rodian/Trandoshan.

14. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    Yitreas: *brandishes electro-mace* :p

*Brandishes spoon* [face_mischief]

Healer_Leona:
    Just wanting to say hi and that I'm reading up on all that going on with this particular question/debate/discussion. :D

Welcome aboard, your Luminescance! :D [face_hug] :p [face_mischief]

Dana: Twi'leks naturally have fangs, but the females are forced to sand theirs flat so they look like ordinary human teeth. Says so in the YJK books, with Nolaa Tarkona.

Nawar'aven has fangs? Sharp black teeth, I remember, but not fangs... *shrugs*

As Thrawn quite rightfully pointed out, humans have fangs too... [face_mischief]

(Of course, it also says that female Devaronians look like female versions of the male ones. Kambrea, a female, does not have fur, does have horns and fangs.)

:D [face_mischief] [face_thinking] o_O :p

LOS: (Can I call you LOS, btw? :confused: :p )

I'd guess Givin would be out - exoskeletons - and Duros too, however much I'd prefer not. :(

And - what's a Neti? :confused: [face_blush]

Drabbo: I think the human pairings have pretty much been covered in the rules. Like it or not -- I don't, but I've resigned myself to things being as they are -- most of them are not going to be allowed, and the mods have made it clear the topic's not open to discussion at present. :(

*Says absolutely zipp* :p [face_mischief]

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm with LastOneStanding on not understanding what the fuss is about, especially with sentient species. But then I'm also in the belief that many in the GFFA, being the enlightened beings they are, see Wookiees, Devaronian, Zabrak and Human in the same light... well of course for Sidious and his crew of course.

That said, it still makes no difference at this time as the guidelines have been set here from this discussion , some of which I still disagree with but must abide by.

Until each and every species is decided I'm sure their will be continuing questions.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, long time lurker in this thread but I think I'd like to comment.

You guys need to really think about this. Do you REALLY want/need a comprehensive list of pairings? Is it *That* nessisary to force the hand of the administration (not the mods who must enforce the rules thrown down by the higher ups, but the site owners). Is it REALLY nessisary to come out with guns a blazing? Human/Wookie (Shak Ti - don't know what she is)/Plo koon type relationship? You don't *have* to be a bull in a china shop about it. Subtalty and playing by the rules will get you much farther I assure you. Let me prove it:

There is a moratorium on *gasp* GAY/Bi sexual charaters - OC only, no PDA's and definately no nookie.

Right.

Fair enough.

But....

Three of my OC's fall right smack dab into that particular sarlacc.

In my last fic, two of them featured rather prominantly, neither of them made any bones about their... 'mindset'. One of which even made light hearted passes at a prominant Canon character.

All three have been nommed for AWARDS, two of them more than once.

Not because they tossed down the gauntlet saying "We're here! We're queer! Get Used to it!", but by being well rounded enough to make people care about them as people and as characters. You want to 'nudge' the envelope? Try writing a fic about unrequited love...? How would that affect a person? concentrate on writing a real charater people can care about insted of trying to write a fic worthy of Jerry Springer. The harder you shove, the harder the OWNERS are going to shove back, pushing the poor souls who are the bearer of bad news into a corner...

We're writers... use the brain, and the soul...

17. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    What I have to say is somewhat related. I think. :p Cross-species pairings are all fine and good, and having guidelines on what is generally allowed and what is not is all fine and good.

But some of these incredibly specific questions had me thinking. How many people here are actually writing stories with these very specific pairings in mind? I have no idea if someone's been planning to have Wookiee fall head over heels for a Twi'lek, but if that ever happens, isn't that what the mods are there for? To clear up these kinds of questions that might not be directly addressed in the FAQ?

It has already been stated that the rules will not be changed. Maybe people aren't happy about that, but like Breezy said, there are ways to work within those rules and still get a good story. This is just my opinion, but beating the subject into the ground with all these clarifications and specifications could be done when the need arises for a particular story.

18. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Bravo, Breezy.

19. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Devaronians have silver-based blood, apparently, which suggests that they're nonhuman... though, that said their horns and fur look like rampant mutations of a human phenotype - compare Zabraks, who're just human 'cousins' with odd "hair"...

Obviously, Maul and Villie look rather different, but Eeth Koth and Kapp as drawn in Mandatory Retirement?

You want to 'nudge' the envelope? Try writing a fic about unrequited love...? How would that affect a person? concentrate on writing a real charater people can care about insted of trying to write a fic worthy of Jerry Springer.

Dare I say that tha was the entire purpose of the 'fic... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

You are not allowed to link to stories that are not allowed on these boards, either.

20. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    >>LOS: (Can I call you LOS, btw? )

I'd guess Givin would be out - exoskeletons - and Duros too, however much I'd prefer not.

And - what's a Neti?<<

As for your first question...sure, you can call me LOS, no problem there... :)

As far as to what Neti are, the Neti are a race/species of sentient trees capable of assuming a humanoid form. Prime examples are Jedi Master Ood Bnar (from "The Sith War" and DEII) and Jedi Master T'ra Saa (from the prequel comics) who appears to have an extremely close friendship, if not romance, with Master Tholme...

>>How many people here are actually writing stories with these very specific pairings in mind?<<

I have a story about a male Elomin and a female Zabrak in mind, actually. Thus, I wanted to see if such a relationship would be allowed on the Fan Fic boards.

21. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    I understand what you're saying, DarthBreezy, and I agree, but -

I really do need and want a comprehensive list of acceptable pairings.

As I see it, there are three options available for someone who realizes his/her story's acceptability is questionable:

1. post it anyway

2. ask a mod

3. not post it here

I realize that a person who's serious about his/her (gaah! dang these pronouns!) work will not shirk at the marginal effort of PMing a mod. However, if that person is timid (like me) or lazy (like me), he/she will simply choose not to post and we will never know of the story's existence.

This is not about pushing the envelope, but making it easier for people to share their stories.

Well . . . it is for me, anyway.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    The answer is simple: if you aren't sure, PM a moderator and have them look it over. It's one of the things we're here for.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.