main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Sailing Little Boats (H/L, Luke/OC, AU short story) - Winner of Best Colaberation, 2009 FFA!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Louie_and_Rick, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie_and_Rick

Louie_and_Rick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2006
    Title: Sailing Little Boats
    Author(s): Louie_and_Rick (Golden_Jedi and DarthBreezy)
    Timeframe: post-RotJ
    Characters: Han, Leia, Luke, OCs from the Breezyverse
    Genre: AU/mush/angst
    Summary: Leia's in labour. Han's going crazy. And Luke's in the middle.
    Notes: This is a stand alone and at the same time, a ?bridge? piece between some of DarthBreezy?s little fics and our long neglected story The Song of Santana (which we?ll be picking up as soon as possible!) But can be read alone.
    This is an AU, and therefore disregards 90% of the established EU, and takes place just before the birth of Leia?s first children, and Luke?s? ?Second?.

Just for those unfamiliar with the Breezyverse, the Canaille Clan ;) comprises so far:
    - Schurke Canaille (Corellian magistrate, former Jedi, deceased)
    - Kampher Lutador Canaille (Jedi healer, Schurke's wife)
    - Aubé Gris 'Tough as Nails' Canaille-Skywalker (Schurke and Kampher's daughter, former Rebel pilot, Luke's wife, Jedi student)
    - Kay'leb Canaille (Schurke and Kampher's son, Jedi healer)
    - Pemberian Canaille Skywalker (Aubé and Luke's daughter)
    - Tamillen Canaille Skywalker (Pemberian's twin brother, deceased)
    - Toa (Dathomirian male, Jedi healer, Kay'leb's student and companion)

Sailing Little Boats

Part One

Marginally awake, Han Solo felt around for his wife. His sleepy brain fired a warning when he did not find her, as she was hard to miss lately, given the amazing size she had reached in the past few weeks.

The cold in the sheets by him finally woke him up completely.

Worried, he called softly. ?Leia??

A glance to the bedside chrono told him that it was still too early to start the day and since she had resigned as Chief of State it was unlikely that some crisis had dragged her out of the bed.

Jumping quickly to his feet, he inspected the adjoined fresher, finding it as cold and empty as the bed. Maybe some midnight craving for a sweet?

As he padded his way to the kitchen, he found the answer to his questions. The Princess was sitting cross-legged on one of the living room couches.

?Are you alright?? He asked, plopping down by her.

?Yeah...? She answered absentmindedly. Her hand rubbed slightly over the tight skin of her huge belly.

?What are you doing up so early? Did the kids wake you up??

?Sort of.?

The former smuggler raised a brow.

?I?ve been having contractions,? Leia clarified.

Han Solo paled. ?How long??

?A couple of hours.? She gave him a small smile.

?HOURS? Why didn?t you call me?? He jumped towards the bedroom and Leia could heard him swearing while he jumped trying to get into his trousers and pull his boots on at the same time.

?Han!? She called. ?HAN!?

?What?? His head peeked from the bedroom door.

?Calm down and come back here. There?s no hurry.?

?You sure?? He asked meekly, walking unevenly back with only one boot on.

?I?m sure. Besides,? she continued, snuggling into his arms, ?do you remember this gadget?? She pointed to the place on her belly where a thin strip of flexible metal was attached.

Han Solo sighed dejectedly. ?Right. You sure it?s working properly??

?I?m sure,? the Princess smiled tenderly, placing a soft kiss on his cheek. ?I?ve been reading the telemetry all the time,? she added, showing him her data pad. ?It?s been giving the ?all signals normal? message since I woke up... See? Here...?

As she pointed to the place in the screen, the message changed.

The father-to-be swallowed dry. ?Uh, sweetheart? What does ?making first EmCall? mean??

Twenty minutes later, a discreet tap was heard at the door. It was the younger Healer, Toa. To Han?s relief, he was alone.

?I guess that means everything?s OK, huh kid?? Han asked with a forced joviality that he truly didn?t feel and then he added as almost an after thought. ?Where?s Healer Kampher??

Toa ducked his head in a short bow. ?She i

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Hate to see this sink so fast. Just a little lift...

3. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Great start! Looking forward to more. :)

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    PLEASE put me on the PM list! :D

Loved it! And as an expectant grandmother with a granddaughter due in less than a month, I can relate! [face_laugh] [face_worried] 8-}

=D=

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Don't stop!!!!!! :eek: Tease! :p

6. Louie_and_Rick

Aug 21, 2006
    Rick here - We'll do replies as soon as I whip Louie into shape! [face_laugh]

And of course part two to follow shortly!

7. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Two things always amaze me when I read your stories.

The first is the level intimacy that you invariably manage to achieve - intimacy, tenderness, compassion. You clearly love your characters, and they seem to love you back by living and breathing, OC's and canon characters alike. They just - live.

The second source of constant amazement is the seamlessness with which the two of you write in tandem. It a favorite game of mine to try to figure out which or you wrote which part. Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I'm not, but all of the time I realize that it just doesn't matter. Your story is of a piece, and just flows...

Did I mention that your characters love you?

Bravo!

(So, when's the next bit coming along????)

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    His sleepy brain fired a warning when he did not find her, as she was hard to miss lately, given the amazing size she had reached in the past few weeks.

I hope he doesn't even think that around her! :p

Love the talk between Luke and Leia and how they miss those loved ones gone at times like these. [face_love]

Please continue the PM's. :)

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    oops!! Logged in as Me! Not the Sock!

10. Louie_and_Rick

Aug 21, 2006
    Rick: Hey Guys! Thanks for the warm welcome back!

Louie: Whipped and ready! :D

Rick: Very soon, I promise, right Louie?

Louie: The alloy Cu-14.1Al-4.2Ni (weight %) --- Oooops, sorry, wrong document?

Rick: Gladly!

Louie: Well, we were hoping to deliver before that, but it seems that you beat us to it! Congrats, GrandMa Vader!!!!

Rick: Yes Indeed!!! [:D]

Rick: We won?t! Not now!

Louie: It can?t be stopped!

Rick: Wow! Such high praise! Thank you [face_blush]I have to admit that this (like Santana) is very much a true collaborative work ? I?ll write something, then Louie does? (or Vice-versa) and we?ll tweak and play with it, adding and rearranging until we know it fits?

Louie: Do you have an idea how much I blushed when I read your comment? Thanks so much!

Rick: We gladly will!

Louie: Hehe, Han is clever enough to shut his mouth up? most of the time ;).

Rick: Most being the operative word!

New post very soon!

11. LASOS

LASOS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2008
    This was beautiful. Are you doing PMs? If so, I'd love one, please. I'm going to go back now and find your other stories.

12. Louie_and_Rick

Aug 21, 2006
    Louie: Welcome, Welcome, LASOS!

Rick: Indeed! We're glad your here!

All righty - with many thanks to all of you, we present the next post!

Part 2

?Wake up,? Kay?leb murmured, poking his sister with his walking stick. ?Come on, sis, if you don?t get out of that bed soon, people are going to think Luke traded his wife in for a Hutt??

?Go away, Kay,? Aubé groaned, pulling the covers over her head. ?If you?re just here to give me ? ?

?Now now, Aubé?? Kay?leb cut her off with another poke of the walking stick. ?That?s not a nice thing to say! You don?t want your son to hear things like that!?

?Kay?leb Canaille, I am so warning you??

?Or you?ll what?? Kay?leb pressed. ?Try to hit me with a blaster shot? Dear sister, I?m as blind as a moon bat, and probably have better aim than you do these days!?

Aubé rolled over to face her erstwhile tormenter, snapping brown eyes meeting sightless white. ?Kay, I know what you?re trying to do, and honestly I don?t give a mynock?s acid dropping! Healer or no, blind or not, I can still ? and will ? kick your tail into the Rishi Maze if you don?t shut up!?

?You couldn?t hit the light side of a planet with a Star Cruiser, you?ve gone so soft!? Kay?leb mocked, although he noticeably took a few steps back. ?Come on, then!?

Now Aubé was angry ? too angry to feel her brother?s gentle examination through the Force as he made sure that although she was emotionally riled up, that physically she and her unborn son were fine ? and with great effort she pushed herself into a sitting position on the side of the bed. ?Shouldn?t you be making yourself useful with Leia?? She grumbled. ?Luke said they would be taking her to the Healer?s center soon...?

Kay?leb closed his eyes in the momentary truce, and once again reached into the Force. ?They don?t need me just yet,? he replied softly. ?You, however??

?Is something wrong?? Her eyes widened, fear now taking the place of anger. ?Kay ? my baby ? ?

?Is fine,? Kay?leb finished for her. ?But you, dear sister, need a swift kick in the bloodstripes.?

Aubé?s eyes narrowed. ?What in the Seven Hells do you mean??

Carefully, Kay?leb made his way to the bed and sat down next to his sister. ?You know perfectly well what I mean, Bé,? he said with sudden gentleness. ?You?ve been in a pretty low place ? too low for even Luke and Pem to pull you out of ? ever since Pappa died? and before.?

?Luke understands?? Aubé muttered under her breath, but it was a lie and they both knew it.

Kay?leb placed a rough arm around his sister?s diminished waist. ?Not everything, dear sister,? he corrected her gently. ?You never told him about? you know??

?That I asked you about ending the first pregnancy, when I first found out?? Aubé said bitterly, wiping away the tears glistening in her eyes. ?That I was more afraid then I am now? Of course not??

?And why not??

?I don?t know,? she sighed. ?I guess in part because it?s in the past, and I can?t change that?.?

?And?? Kay?leb let the question hang there, knowing that Aubé would answer only if she was ready.

After a long pause, she did. ?I thought he would hate me for it,? she said at last. ?I didn?t think he would? understand.?

?Like Pappa??

?He was so angry,? Aubé sighed. ?I mean, furious? at least at first.?

?And then he cried, do you remember that, Aubé?? Kay?leb murmured, pulling her close. ?He wouldn?t tell us why, just asked you to go think about it for a few days, and to remember that either choice was irreversible? it was the only time I actually remember mother being angry with him, at least in front of us.?

?She told me to go meditate on it. That it was my choice, ultimately? I went to the old fort by the sea, and just? listened.? Aubé lay her head

13. LASOS

May 13, 2008
    Poor Han. Leia doesn't tell him anything!

14. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hmm, the proverbial cleaning fit before giving birth . . . clever!

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Just a friendly little nudge...

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ?What?s up, Goldenrod??

?It?s Mistress Leia, General, she?s behaving in the most unusual...?

Another loud banging interrupted the droid. Ignoring Threepio, Han hurried to the kitchen.Opening the door, his eyes doubled in size with the scene exposed before them. On all fours, his wife, the High Princess of Alderaan and former Senator ? twice - and Chief of State of the New Republic was emptying and cleaning the cabinets under the sink. By hand.

?Sweetheart? What are you doing?? He asked carefully.

?What does it look like?? She growled.

?I know what it looks like... But why??

?I swear I saw a bug hide in here...?

?Bug?? She had never been afraid of bugs. In fact, that time they had gone for a Diplomatic function to Ad?Fragun, he had seen her take an insect as long as half her palm out of her plate and keep eating as if nothing had happened.

That sounds like Leia! [face_laugh] [face_sick] =D=

17. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Rock on! Solo babies on their way.

PM list me, please.[face_praying]

18. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Love the brother/sister interaction between Kay'leb and Aube! They know each other so well. They can practically read one another's thoughts. The whacking rings true, too... :p... I mean, how else do siblings deal with real familoy traumas?

And the babies are on the way... another scene that rings utterly true to real life as well as to the characters. You guys rock!

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Kay?leb right about letting it go. :(

[?Sweetheart? What are you doing?? He asked carefully.

?What does it look like?? She growled./i]

Haha, at most times he'd best be careful and now... [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Excellent post! :D

20. Louie_and_Rick

Aug 21, 2006
    Just to let you all know - replies soon and what's turning into a very big posty!

21. Louie_and_Rick

Aug 21, 2006
    Replies time!

Louie: Poor Han? :eek: [face_laugh]

Rick: Awww... ya think?

Louie: Ain't we? :p
    Rick: Blame Louie!

Louie: Thank you! :)
    Rick: I think Han's in for a wild ride...

Louie: Of course! :D
    Rick: Gladly!

Louie: [face_blush]
    Rick: Yay! Yeah, brothers can be such turds! But loving ones at that...

Louie: Thanks! :)
    Rick: Yeah, poor Aube... but I think things will turn around soon enough... As for Han... well, it ain't over yet!

Speaking of which, a new post right away!

Edit: funky symbols demon attack...

22. Louie_and_Rick

Aug 21, 2006
    Sailing Little Boats ? chapter 3

After a cursory security check ? for the Temple was still not open to regular visitors yet ? and while Aubé dashed into the refresher Kay?leb closed his eyes and reached out for Toa, his apprentice and life partner, to check on the Princess. Even for Jedi, their bond was an unusual one for through it, Kay?leb could actually see the Healer?s center and all it?s surroundings, including the Princess herself as she arrived. After assuring Toa that he would be back long before he himself was actually needed, Kay?leb turned his perception to his immediate surroundings.

The Force sang and danced all around him here, like a living thing unto itself, and although Kay?leb?s memories of his first visit to the Temple were hazy at best, his late father Schurke had regaled the family with stories while Luke had quietly discussed his plans on how to bring it back to life. Some of the Elder Jedi Masters had been visibly displeased and while others had fully embraced the idea, and now, less than a few weeks away those plans would finally be brought to fruition?

His thoughts were interrupted by the return of his sister, who was adjusting her tunic and cloak and perhaps anxious to be gone, until she paused, seeing the look of pure joy on her brother?s face.

?What is it?? Aubé asked.

Kay?leb only smiled, and turned her to look into the Grand Foyer and beyond, and in that instant; Aubé finally realized the truth about the legacy they had been born into.

?Oh, by the stars?? she gasped. ?Kay, it?s? wonderful??

Toa and a small assembly of administrative aids were waiting for the Solo?s speeder as they arrived into a private landing pad at the med-center, Threepio in the back with Leia?s baggage.

?Princess, we?re honored to...? one of the bureaucrats started.

?Cut it, kid and just grab the bag, would you?? Han Solo interrupted, helping his wife out of the speeder. ?I wanna get the Princess inside before the holo-shills know we?re here. We don?t want the circus going right now.?

?As you wish, General.?

?How are you feeling, Milady?? The young healer asked, as he guided the couple towards the facility where Master Kampher and the rest of her team were getting everything ready. ?Do you require additional assistance??

?I?m fine, Healer Toa,? Leia Organa Solo shook her head, as she waddled heavily at her husband?s side. ?Although I feel like the hybrid of a Hutt and a Star Destroyer...?

?... with a cleaning compulsion...? Han quipped nervously, automatically dodging the inevitable elbow to his ribs all the while scouting the skies for the inevitable press scouts. ?We should have used Winter?s suggestion of a decoy?? But the expected jab never came.

?You said the pains stopped, Milady?? Toa asked mildly, unmindful of the commotion surrounding them, and it seemed his very presence had a soothing effect on the Princess. ?It is to be expected ? ?

See-Threepio bounced helplessly against Han Solo?s back when he stopped dead in his tracks. ?AGAIN?? He gasped.

?Madam!? one of the other bureaucrats burst in excitedly. ?We have a full team of Medi-droids and resident physicians on call...?

?That won?t be needed, at this time,? a strong female voice cut across the throng, a smile belying her no nonsense tone. Kampher Canaille, Master Healer and Luke?s mother-in-law stood at the doorway, waiting. ?Come in, family Solo, for this is where your great adventure begins??

In sharp contrast to the chaos outside, the activity within the Temple was more structured, more organized. Work crews and cleaning droids were putting the last touches on signage in a hundred different languages, which would direct visitors to different areas of the structure. Light streamed through crystal windows, despite the temporary dust cloth coverings, and everywhere, there were places to sit, to take in the revitalized splendor of it all ? places just to be?

Aubé stood there, mouth agape, while Kay?leb stood at her elbow, grinni

23. LASOS

May 13, 2008
    Oh man, here we go...

I don't know much about the birthing process, but did Han cause Leia's water to break when he shot the droid?

Great post!

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
  25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Leia Organa tried to place her hands at her nonexistent waist, then gave up and crossed her arms over the huge mound of her belly. ?What, you thought they would just pop out? Didn?t you read all those books I gave you??

lol Han is the lucky one in this! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.