main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Salutes?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Possessed-Freak, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Possessed-Freak

Possessed-Freak Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2002
    In the OT, I can only think of one instance where a salute is done, and that was from Luke to Artoo...(am I blind, did I miss some)?

In the EU, they are saluting. What type of salutes do they use? Are Imperial's the same as the Republic's? The YV's are described as crossing ones hands/arms in front of their chests.

2. Rogue_Solo

Rogue_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2001
    I always just assumed that the NR does the standard American salute, and the IR does the standard British one. My reasoning: Almost all of the rebels in the movies have American accents, and most of the Imperials have British accents.

Now we sit back and see how wrong I am.

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I dont think that either one of you are wrong. I dont recall ever seeing any salutes, either, now that you bring it up...

4. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I think HttE described some sort of Jedi lightsaber salute.

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    A lightsaber salute is a fencing salute. You can see Christopher Lee doing it in one of the AotC trailers.

6. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    PF-the "salute" you refer to seems more an informal one than a military one-however off memory the same 3 fingered US style salute(more like a scout salute, pinky and thumb prressed together the other 3 out flat)was also given by Han to Lando at ROTJ.

I've never seen a British/Australian salute given-being Ex-military for some strange reason you tend to notice these things.

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The roman salute is used as well(AKA Nazi Hand salute).

8. Possessed-Freak

Feb 1, 2002
    Actually, my point was why did the EU really decide to use salutes more, all we see in the OT is troops coming to attention when superiors come in. No true military salutes until the EU where everyone is doing them.

as I said before, YV are described to salute by crossing their arms over their chests, but I have yet to see any description on Republic's or Imperial's salutes.

9. Possessed-Freak

Feb 1, 2002
    Valiento - really, where?

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    There are two imperial salutes. The one I mentioned above as seen in rebel opposition, and as I recall maybe one or two marvel issues. The second imperial salute mentioned in stele chronicles is the other half of the roman salute involving right arm thumped hard across over chest over heart.

In the old roman days, soldiers would, thump right arm over heart, and then move that arm into the air in 1 hand palm out salute.(Nazi's took to using the second half of the salute, and effectively tarnished the origins of the salute in many eyes.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.