main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Salvation Army Bell Ringing - Dec 17th 1pm-4pm

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MadKidJedi, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Maybe I'll see you guys if we're out Christmas shopping. If Tom was working, I probably would have done this. However, since he is working so much, there isn't a lot of time to get things done. Plus, Paulie would probably want to kill me for supporting an organization that is so discrimatory towards gays and other groups. Although times are changing, they can't seem to change fast enough for him. o_O

2. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I just got off the phone with Dean and Mike.
    Both will be in attendance on Saturday for what looks to be the full duration.
    I will be there from 3-4
    I believe Ron is going to be there as well in full Wookie Mania.

Just helping keep tabs on everyone. :)

3. Ayka

Ayka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    Im schedualed at work 11am to 7pm on Saturday, so unfortunatly, Im out.

Retail has killed my love for the Holidays ^_^

4. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    OK then, here's the list:

Volunteers:
    Doc_Bev or KnightShade
    TX4277
    MadKidJedi
    JediMaster1610
    Wingnut (maybe 3pm-4pm)

Unable:
    T_StarFlyer
    DarSolo
    Ayka

Remember to dress super warm! Even if gloves don't go with your costume - wear them!

~Doc_Bev

5. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Was anyone interested in lunch before hand? Or should we just meet at 12:45pm at our kettle station?

I think for shifts it should probably be one masked character and one unmasked character (and we'll have 2 of each and there'll only be 4 of us until 3pm), sp it should be easy to sort it out once we're there I guess.

~Doc_Bev

6. TX4277

TX4277 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I can do lunch beforehand. I also promised Wingnut a celebratory Guinness at Uno's afterward. We're celebrating his membership in the 501st and RL... YAY!

7. TX4277

Apr 6, 2005
    I think we should take the opportunity to pop in to Gamestop and brighten Ayka's day a little while we are there.

8. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Unfortunately Akya is at Eastview and we are going to be at Marketplace...or am I going crazy? [face_hypnotized]

9. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    Going crazy would imply that this is a new state....

But you are correct - it would be a long walk.

10. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    We could visit T_StarFlyer though...
    He'll be starting work at the customer service counter once our volunteer shift is finished.

~Doc_Bev

11. TX4277

Apr 6, 2005
    That was my mistake... for some reason I thought we were at Eastview. I appear to remain in the state of confusion. It is a beautiful place though :p

12. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Holy crap! That was quick. Looks like the 501st is finally getting their stuff together. Congrats, Wingy!

13. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Gang (or more to the point, MIKE!);

Seeing as how Scotty's coming in late, can I bum a ride with someone else to the Mall tomorrow? When is not important; just need a heads up, via phone, (313-4431), to let me know when you can pick me up. I plan on being dressed and ready by 11:30. If my as-yet-unforsen-ride is coming any sooner, I will need to know. Thank you in advance, and that is all.

14. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I think you might be more on TX's way to Marketplace than mine, but I'll try to remember to call you in the morning to see if you're all set.

We don't we meet at Noon outside the inside J.C. Penney's entrance and decide on a lunch place from there.

~Doc_Bev

15. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    FYI Tony Roma's is now open in the old Ground Round at Marketplace

16. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Man, was that cold!
    If we want to do this again next season we'll definitely have to call in a lot sooner so that we can get one of the indoor spots.

Huge thanks to TX4277, MadKidJedi, JediMaster1610 and Wingnut for braving the cold and ringing the bell. =D=

And, thanks to the outstanding service we received at Tony Roma's when we stopped in there after our volunteer shift they were named the official restaurant of The Rebellion. We were literally treated like celebrities while we were there.

Pictures will take a while to get online as I only brought a disposable film camera with me this time. Didn't want to chance the good camera out in the cold all afternoon.

But, our pictures were also taken by a Messenger Post photographer so we'll have to grab the next issue of the Henrietta Post (at least I'm assuming that's what one it'll be in - I suppose we could have every one try to grab their respective town's post and see if we're in those too).

~Doc_Bev

17. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Drat! I forgot to look for the Henrietta Post.
    I'll have to try emailing or calling them so we can see how (or if) our pictures were published.

EDIT: Sent the Messenger Post newspaper an email so hopefully we can get a few copies of whatever paper our pictures were published in.

~Doc_Bev

18. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I should be getting 4 copies of the Henrietta Post sent to me in the mail sometime next week. I guess our picture was right on the front cover! I'll try to remember to bring them to the FF dinner.

~Doc_Bev

19. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Got the copies of the Henrietta Post in the mail today.
    It looks great! I was so excited to see us on the front cover. [face_dancing]
    Here's a scan of it.

~Doc_Bev

20. TX4277

Apr 6, 2005
    We were in the Dec 21st issue of the Brighton-Pittsford Post as well, thought not on the cover.

21. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Finally got the pictures scanned that I took at this event.
    Also, now that I have them I'm going to make a copy of the one with the Tony Roma's employee and finally send in that thank you letter to them.

We also received a certificate of appreciation from the Salvation Army.

~Doc_Bev

22. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    I look good. :cool:
    I mean real good. o_O
    Hey Everyone! Come see how good I look! [face_laugh]

Sorry.
    For those of you who dont know the joke, its from Anchorman and it just struck me funny when I saw pics of me in costume.

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I'm finally sending out that thank you letter to Tony Roma's along with 3 photos. It'll be going out in tomorrow's mail. Here's the text of my letter:

Dear Tony Roma?s,

Back on December 17th five very odd looking customers wearily entered your restaurant. They were quite chilled after spending 3 hours outside the mall ringing the bell for the Salvation Army. But, they quickly recovered under the warm attention received from the managers and staff that were on duty that afternoon.

We wanted to make sure (although much belatedly) to thank you for the superb attention we received that afternoon and to let you know that on the spot we made Tony Roma?s The Rebellion?s official restaurant of choice.

Please find enclosed three photos that were taken that afternoon. Two are of the group inside Tony Roma?s and one is of a mounted policeman visiting Chewbacca.

Although we are primarily Star Wars organizations, we frequently volunteer our time to various community service events. Please keep our groups in mind if you should ever need man power for an event. Although we are based in Rochester, NY the 501st, Rebel Legion and FanForce are international organizations and we would be happy to put you in contact with a representative for any region.

~Doc_Bev

24. TX4277

Apr 6, 2005
    Supremely written letter Nicky! Well done.

Mike

25. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.