main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sam & Max 2. Back from the grave?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=824

A major rumor bomb was dropped earlier on the forum of web-zine "The Inventory" during the site's birthday celebration, by Wolfgang Kierdorf, director of upstart publisher Bad Brain Entertainment, and the bank behind the anticipated upcoming adventure A Vampyre Story. When asked by a fan about Bad Brain's future projects aside from Vampyre Story, Kierdorf was less than vague:

Also there are negotiations with LucasArts but I can't get into detail here. Maybe this will be the surprise release of 2005. The game you all wanted but didn't get (except for a fine trailer).

Readers who haven't had their heads in the ground for the past year can probably guess that Kierdorf is referring to the anticipated sequel, Sam & Max Freelance Police, which LucasArts cancelled this last summer. Nothing has been officially confirmed, however. And, of course, aside from these few clues, little is known about Bad Brain's full plans, any involvement of ex-Sam & Max 2 developers Telltale Games, or whether LucasArts will even consider the proposition. Hopefully we'll be hearing more soon.

Hooray for my sig!

There was actually a LOT more information & corobborations from other people in the Adventuregamers story, but it was swiftly edited out.

The plot thickens...

:)

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    This belongs in the Sam and Max 2 thread, you silly noob.

...oh hang on...

//re-reads

I am filled with a deep lust for the part of JP that found this nugget of information. The possibility of Sam and Max coming back again would be 100% fried gold, and thinking about it, could'nt you count the Save Sam and Max campaign as free advertising for them, I mean, could supposedly shelving the game have been a publicity stunt?

3. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    But wait, he said '...a game you all wanted..".

Just kidding. I am happy for you jp, as long as it is Sam and Max that is. Makes you wonder what actually happened.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > But wait, he said '...a game you all wanted..".

:p Well, don't forget this was said on "The Inventory" - an adventure game site.

http://www.theinventory.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357

There's also a live 'forum chat' with the Telltale Games team here;

http://www.theinventory.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

It's still going by the looks.

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    And corroborating posts were deleted?

//Smells drama

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Clearly this happened because of jp's signature. :p

Great news. :)

7. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

If this does turn out to be in regards to Sam & Max 2, that'd be some of the best news I've ever heard.

Wants nothing more than to play that game,
    Yours Truly

P.S. Let's hope the dude wasn't referring to Full Throttle 2...

8. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Reminder that he said it was "..a game we all wanted..."
    Not a game no one wanted.

9. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Could this new Sam & Max game signal the new wave of brilliant adventure games we've all been waiting for since like 1995?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Today could be the day;

http://www.aventuraycia.com/new.php
    Keeping up our good relationships between Bad Brain Entertainment and Aventura y Cía (something that begun with some telephonic chatting and the interview we published some days ago), this humble website is proud today to announce as a world exclusive what Wolfgang Kierdorf himself has just sent to us, which is transcripted right next:

"Bad Brain Entertainment just announced, that negotiations with LucasArts about a yet unknown title have come to an end. Speculations are, that this title is the much anticipated Sam & Max 2 which was set on hold by Lucas Arts last year. Bad Brain Entertainment will announce details about the title and the negotiations later today. "

Although we at Aventura y Cía know more details about these negotiations, our agreements with the german company and our young friendship with its CEO prevent us from revealing any more info until we are allowed to. We promise though that you will be the very first to know about this as soon as it's possible.

Until then, we want to make sure you know about the opening a few weeks ago of the on-line shop of Bad-Brain Entertainment, which currently features merchandising products on I-Jet,The orgastic Four and A Vampyre Story.

Well, I'll only believe it when I'm actually playing the game, but despite all my cynicsm towards Bad-Brain, I do hope that I will get to play Sam & Max 2 in 2005.

11. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    And as we suspected, no Sam & Max 2 from Bad-Brain.

We tried everything to bring you the game you all wanted. But it seems all hope has gone. They broke of negotiations. But you truly have to believe that it wasn't our fault and it sure wasn't the money. We just don't know and they don't tell.

But we don't give up that easy. There is still a glimpse of hope and Steve Purcell is the one who is in charge now. We are talking ... and we are hopeing ... again.

Knobs.

And if anyone should be getting the S&M rights (for a new game featuring the duo) it ought to be the Telltale Games team.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Oy, good news and bad news in the same day. :(

14. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    After all this fuss, the game had better be pretty damn incredible if it ever gets released.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It (the LucasARts version) will never be released. If a new Sam & Max game ever comes out it will have been written from scratch.

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Aw man.

I always feel so bad for JP when bad stuff happens concerning this game.

He just seems like the only person who actually cares about this game, and he has gotten so excited.

And now it's never going to come out, lol.

Poor JP. :(

17. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    A lot of people care, he's just the only person who actually does any decent researching and posts for everyone else's benfit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.