main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Same as Always" - The Force Awakens speculation fic (Luke, Rey, Finn)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMara77, Dec 14, 2014.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Title: Same as Always
    Fandom: Star Wars
    Rating: G
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Rey (Solo), Finn (Skywalker)
    Summary: A wild speculation fic based on The Force Awakens teaser trailer, a few rumors, and all my SWEU fan hopes and dreams. I do not have any insider knowledge so any similarities between this fic and the actual movie are purely coincidental. (I said I'd start writing fic again as soon as we got some names. It didn't take long. Heh.) (Also, no, there's not more of this. But don't worry, I'll be writing Poe Dameron fic soon enough. :p )
    ---------

Rey Solo had only been on Tatooine for a week, but she'd already seen enough of it to last a lifetime.

The first day had been quiet. Too quiet, and she knew it was too good to be true. She spent the second day gathering intel and supplies, and avoiding some of the more unscrupulous characters Uncle Luke had warned her about. During the remainder of the week she visited the old Lars and Kenobi homesteads, taking care to avoid Jawas and Tusken Raiders along the way. She'd hoped she might feel a stronger connection to the Force on Tatooine, but it felt like it always had--muddied and clouded. She'd asked her mother and Uncle Luke what that meant, but they didn't have an answer for her. They never did.

The Empire arrived on the seventh day, right on schedule, as she was leaving the settlement. She watched the ship arrive through her macrobinoculars, then left her perch on the cliff and took off on her speeder to go find the stash.

#

Tatooine. His father's homeworld. Finn Skywalker had always thought he'd one day come here, but had always assumed it'd be under different circumstances--like a family vacation mandated by his mother or Aunt Leia. He never thought he'd arrive on an Imperial transport, or be wearing stormtrooper gear.

His father and Uncle Had had once worn those uniforms as part of a disguise. His mother had once been an Imperial. But playing the part was more than enough for Finn. He couldn't get wait to get out of there.

It'd been easier than he expected to jump ship, and then it was a matter of not dying during the crash. Sweat pooled on his face as he crawled out of the escape pod and he yanked off his helmet, eager to catch his breath. Stumbling around, he took in his surroundings. He was right on target, and right on schedule. His getaway ship should be arriving any moment now. So why did he feel so nervous?

His father would tell him to focus on the here and now. His mother would tell him that Jades didn't get nervous, they made other people nervous. Finn himself didn't have any quippy mottos yet, other than "don't get dead".

His parents were right, though; so far everything had gone according to plan, and he'd gotten more information than they could have predicted. Which meant it was the perfect time for things to go horribly wrong. Finn didn't have access to the Force like his parents did, but as he took off across the dunes, he inhaled deeply and tried to calm himself. It helped a bit.

Seeing a familiar ship fly across the dunes would help even more.

#

The ship was right where Rey left it. And sitting at the controls was Luke Skywalker.

She threw him a glare as she stalked inside the cockpit, BB-8 doing her best to keep up with her. "I'm flying, Uncle Luke."

"I know," he said, rising from the seat and tucking his hands inside his cloak. "I was just keeping the chair warm for you."

"Sure you were--"

"We better get going," Luke said, glancing out the viewport. He had that faraway look in his eyes he always got when things were about to go south.

Rey sat down and finished starting up the Millennium Falcon. "Everything okay?"

"What do you think?"

She suppressed a groan. He was always doing this sort of thing to her--his way of compensating for not being able to train Finn in the ways of the Force, she supposed. "Judging by the look on your face, I'm going to say no."

"Astoundingly astute, as usual," he said. He was already on his way to the gun turrets. "I think the Empire has been alerted to the fact they're short one stormtrooper."

Despite the situation, Rey's lip quirked. Luke probably hadn't even realized he'd made a short joke about his own son--and he was one to talk. "All right. One round of fancy flying, coming right up."

"Not too fancy. Your father's still angry at me for taking you on this mission in the first place."

"Dad can get over it." She lifted the Falcon off the ground and grinned. Force how she loved this bucket of bolts. Then she grimaced at an all-too-familiar sight in the distance.

"TIEs, dead ahead! Get to the guns!" she shouted...but Luke was already gone. BB-8 chirped at her. "Yeah, whatever--get in the back!"

The droid zoomed away, adequately chagrined.

#

Why didn't Mom ever teach me to run in sand? Finn thought as he ran across the dunes. He felt ridiculous, stumbling around like a drunkard.

He groaned as his ankle twisted underneath him for the third time. He knew how to use every vibroblade on the black market but running in sand was going to be his downfall. It figured. He wondered what they'd put in his obituary: Finn Skywalker, adopted son to Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker, died three days ago on Tatooine after faceplanting in a sand dune and being eaten by womprats. If only he'd had the Force.

A familiar noise broke his morose thoughts, and he finally allowed himself to stop moving. A second later the Millennium Falcon roared over the horizon, and he nearly let out a whoop. Then he saw the reason the Falcon was flying so fast--TIEs, hot in pursuit--and he groaned. Of course the Empire would notice they were missing a stormtrooper, even a terrible one. His dad had told him over and over what to do if someone recognized him on the Star Destroyer, but not what to do if he got caught afterwards. His dad had assured him he would be on the getaway ship before the Imperials started their pursuit. Of course this would be one of the rare moments when Luke Skywalker was wrong.

"I hope Uncle Han's flying that ship," Finn muttered to himself. He had no idea who was supposed to be picking him up; he'd been kept out of the loop on all the other plans "just in case". He'd really been hoping it'd be the Jade's Fire, but he should have known his mother would stay far away from Imperial business.

The freighter zoomed overhead and set down a few meters behind him. Without waiting for the ramp to descend, he sprinted across the sand as fast as he could.

#

"Argh!" Rey shouted as a TIE's laser nearly blasted the hull. "What are you doing back there?" she shouted into her headset. "Taking a nap?"

"Respect your elders," Luke said calmly. Another TIE came in, and before Rey could flinch the Falcon's guns swatted it away. "I know what I'm doing."

"Uh-huh," Rey said, but she wasn't relieved. There were still more TIEs out there, and they were sitting ducks until her cousin finished his part of the deal--

"I'm in!" she heard Finn shout.

She had the Falcon off the ground before bringing the ramp up. BB-8 could take care of that. A few seconds later, while she was gritting her teeth and zooming away from the TIEs, Finn barged into the cockpit.

"Oh, it's you."

She could hear the disdain in his voice and greeted him with a rude gesture. "It's good to see you, too," she said. "Now sit down and strap in. I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

Before Finn could reply, a laser blast rocked the Falcon. She cursed and checked the deflector shields. "Belay that--you better get to the lower gun!"

"Yeah, sure," Finn said, leaping towards the back of the cockpit as gracefully as possible in the cumbersome stormtrooper gear. "Wait, who's in the upper gun?"

"Who do you think?" Rey said sarcastically.

#

Finn didn't have to ask for clarification. He raced through the Falcon, ignoring BB-8's shrill cries that she wasn't ready battle ready. He glanced up at the upper gun as he climbed down the ladder, and could see his father spinning around, firing for all he was worth with a serene expression hiding behind a thick, graying beard that made him look like a crazy old hermit. Finn paused for a moment, taking it all in. So that's what Dad's been up to while I was undercover. Finn wondered if the awful beard was a precautionary measure or just part of a post-midlife crisis.

He settled into the chair and donned the headset, snickering as he imagined how his mother must've reacted to that development. "Hey, Dad."

"Hey, son," Luke said. "Glad you're okay."

"Me, too. You could have told me you were going to be here."

"No, I couldn't," Luke said. "I explained the need for secrecy plenty of times."

Finn grumbled to himself. He still didn't like the idea of being the one to put his neck on the line while everyone else had laid low, but he knew there wasn't much of a choice. Rey was too easily recognized, even while in disguise and using an alias. While the name Finn Skywalker was known throughout the galaxy, most people, especially in the Empire, didn't know exactly what he looked like. Going into semi-exile and keeping the knowledge of your son's adoption a secret went a long way towards keeping a kid out of the limelight. Everyone always assumed that one red-headed Jedi was actually Luke and Mara Jade's son, and his parents used that assumption to their advantage.

And, of course, Kylo hadn't been his brother. Kylo might be full of himself, thinking he could handle dark side secrets better than his own grandfather, but he'd surely be able to tell if his own sister was snooping around for intel on him.

Finn shrugged off those thoughts and concentrated on shooting. He had a job to do. The mission had been a pain, but it was almost over. He couldn't wait to get off this dustball and tell his dad everything he'd learned.

#

Luke had been happy to play the innocent bystander along for the ride, but now things were getting too heated for his liking. Between the Imperial pursuit and the disturbance in the Force he'd felt several days ago, he was eager to leave his childhood home.

"Rey, watch your six," he warned. The shots were getting too close, and while he trusted Rey and Finn with his life, he'd shot the majority of the TIEs off their backs so far. They couldn't keep up at this pace, especially with those starfighters coming directly at them.

Rey, as usual, wasn't in the mood for a rebuke. "I've been flying this ship since I was 10," she snapped into the headset. "I know what I'm doing."

"I'm sure you do," he said in his most reasonable voice. "I'm also sure flying directly into a formation of TIE fighters isn't the smartest course of action."

"Do you want to come up here and fly this thing?" Rey shouted.

Luke smirked to himself. "Oh, no. I'm not allowed to fly the Falcon anymore. Not after Myrkr."

"What happened on Myrkr?"

"Good luck getting that story out of him," Finn cut in. "He and Mom are notoriously mum on that one. Even Karrde won't tell me."

"Karrde won't tell anyone anything without proper compensation--"

"As great as this little family reunion is, let's concentrate on flying, okay?" Luke interrupted.

The kids grunted at him but did as told, and as the Falcon began to soar into the atmosphere Luke finally started to feel as calm as he forced himself to look. He'd become very good at projecting a sense of inner peace since becoming a father and an uncle, not to mention a Jedi Master. A life in so-called exile had helped at that--not to mention having friends in almost every branch of the New Republic and even more in the fringe. But keeping calm hadn't been on his list of things to do since Kylo had left.

Kylo Ren...just thinking the name churned Luke's stomach. It didn't matter what the boy decided to call himself now. Other people thought differently, but as far as Luke was concerned Kylo would never stop being a Solo and a Skywalker. It was Luke's own damn fault Kylo had left. He'd done his best to protect the boy, but perhaps Lumiya had been telling the truth during that fateful confrontation. Perhaps sheltering the children had done more harm than good. Perhaps it was impossible to train them the way they should have been, the way they would have been in the Old Republic. And he'd been so scared of their potential in the Force...

Anger, fear, aggression, the dark side are they... Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny...

Luke shook his head and clenched his hands around the gun. He didn't believe Yoda's warnings any more now than he did when he was 22. Anakin had been able to come back to the light, and so would Kylo--if the information Finn had gotten proved accurate. Soon he'd be rendezvousing with Mara and Karrde, and then he'd call in that long overdue favor from Wedge and Poe. They would meet up with Leia and Han, find Kylo, and bring him back home.

They had a plan. It couldn't fail.

He didn't know how he would live with himself if it did.

Kahara, Gemma and NightWatcher91 like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh I love the OCs and the interplay and dynamics between them. =D= They feel real and the situation intense. I instantly feel in the thick of things. I am so happy you are back. =D=

Kahara and Gemma like this.
  3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I would completely accept Finn being a Skywalker.

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Ahhhh! This is so fantastic! :D

Love Finn being Luke and Mara's adopted son, love the snark between cousins, father and son and uncle and niece - wonderful characterization in such a short little fic. If Episode VII is anything like this I will be so happy.

Will there be more?

Kahara, Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  5. Jediksten

Jediksten Jedi Master

Aug 6, 2002
    I like this! Love that Finn is Luke's son and that you included mara jade...update soon!

Kahara and Gemma like this.
  6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Well, you know I loved this, gal!!! I love your Uncle Luke. [face_love] And I love L/M having Finn as a son. [face_love] [face_love] I love how you fit in the teaser. I could almost hear the music. I love the melding of the EU and the New Reality, and most of all I love that you're writing fic again!!!! [face_love] [face_love]

7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    This line is made of win. :cool:[face_laugh]

8. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Thank you! As soon as my husband said he hoped Daisy Ridley was flying the Falcon in the teaser trailer, I knew I was going to have to write a fic based on that. I had to wait until they gave us some names in order to do so...thankfully they didn't make me wait too long. :)

Ugh, I'm wishing it so hard, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Sigh. (Now, if REY is Luke's kid, they'll have to pry me off the floor.)

Thank you so much! I don't have any more planned for this, but you never know. I learned long ago to never say never when it comes to fic. :p

Thank you! This is a one-off, for now at least. That X-wing pilot Poe Dameron has stolen my heart, I'm afraid, lol.

Aww, thanks gal. :) You know me, Star Wars always sucks me in! :p I figured if anyone in the GFFA was going to adopt a kid it'd be Luke Skywalker. Luke and Leia would adopt ALL the war orphans.

Heh, thanks. I was quite proud of that one, and the one about Karrde. :)

Kahara, ginchy and Nyota's Heart like this.
  9. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Incredible! I enjoy your character interactions!

Kahara likes this.
  10. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

Thanks so much! They were fun to write, even though we really know nothing about Rey and Finn yet.

Kahara likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Well if you do include more please tag me in, thanks.

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Well done, JediMara77. I was drawn in from word one. Though I have remained relatively spoiler-free, I really enjoy your take on Rey, Finn, and Luke. I also enjoyed the other names you dropped from both cannon and the EU.

Finn seemed the weakest of the three and not just because he doesn't have the Force. He seemed haphazard; lacking confidence. I would love to see perception proved wrong.

Luke was my favorite. I thought his dialogue was perfect. I liked his Masterly presence even if his peaceful front covered more than one worry.

If there is more, please tag me(pm list olis a thing of the past).

Kahara likes this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    No wonder this fic got three nominations for the awards! This is a great little mash-up of the teaser and the old EU, just enough to make sense to us old EU readers while reading like an extended trailer of the upcoming film. I liked how you managed the new characters -- Rey, Finn and BB-8, who seems to have his own little post-Artoo personality :p -- but most importantly I loved how you handled Luke, thirty years on (and that comment about the beard was priceless!) I'll be looking out for new fics of yours -- you promised a Poe Dameron fic soon, and there will be more teasers and trailers in the coming months.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  14. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh, cool! :D The personalities that you've created for the next-gen characters are vivid even in the short space here. And I like the title, perfect for yet another return to Tatooine. :p

[face_laugh] A very succint summary of growing up Skywalker. I was tickled to see that he's quickly acquiring a resentment of... sand. Just like his adoptive grandpa. It's also interesting that he's not Force-sensitive, and Rey has a faltering sense.

Literally laughed out loud at that line. Not entirely sure why, but it's a gem.

Why do I feel like Rey takes after Han and Finn takes after Mara? At their most argumentative. :p

The Skybeard, ladies and gentlemen. I'm glad to see the implication that Mara's still among the living here!

Kylo is a Jacen-equivalent of sorts... intriguing. And we have a full circle here with Luke and the rest of the clan coming to bring him home.

I hope we see more of this story, but it's fun speculation as-is. Congratulations on getting nominated! =D=

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Thanks so much for your review! Your perception of Finn is interesting as he definitely lacks the most confidence of the characters in this fic, and probably of most people around him. BUT, I would say that he's incorrect about this. :)

Thanks for reading! :) I got the idea for this fic immediately after watching the trailer, but had to wait to write something until we got some names.

I haven't had any inspiration for Poe fics yet, but if my track record is any indication, I'll be bitten by a bunny once we get some more information (come ON JJ we're waiting here!!!).

Thank you very much! I was definitely inspired by both the trailer and my past as an EU reader. I'd love to see something like this in The Force Awakens, with a focus on family and everyone working and snarking together, but in the end they all love each other. Even the stupid Sith Lords. :)

I doubt I'll continue this fic specifically, but like I said above I'll probably write some X-wing fic once the movie comes out, and I'm sure I'll be adding my "attic wife Mara" fics to the pile. :)

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    "attic wife Mara" [face_rofl] This is going to be the next big genre, isn't it?