main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA Same Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jediknightleia, May 23, 2004.

?

Same Sex Marriage

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. I agree

60.0%
  2. Disagree

30.0%
  3. Don't care

10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
  2. jediknightleia

Aug 28, 2002
    This is for my research paper, so could you tell me why you voted for whatever option you picked.

3. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I'm assuming that agreeing means I'm okay with same sex marriages, in which case I agree. If I read it wrong or misunderstood please switch my answer. :)

4. ObiWanKainobi

ObiWanKainobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2002
    in that case matt, will you marry me?

5. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    But Kai...what about me? :_|

6. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    The thought used to repulse me but the more I thought about it the less I cared. I mean it doesn't affect me if someone else wants to marry their dog.

However, that being said, people, regardless of sexual preference should not be penalized on the basis of their desire to get legally married or stay single. Even the IRS encourages marriage with different calculations based on marital status. Gays want to marry because they say they want it fair, well okay. Now lets make things fair for single people too. It makes no sense for the government (or the church for that matter) to encourage marriage in a society where they usually fail anyway.

7. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    I'll agree with Roger on this one.

8. PetraPanther

PetraPanther Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2002
    I personally cannot agree with something that I think is a sin.

9. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    /\ Sooooo... you are also strongly opposed to premarital sex, and sodomy (of all kinds) too right?

10. PetraPanther

Nov 6, 2002
  11. jediknightleia

Aug 28, 2002
    I think that its a sin too, but who gave us the right to go against gays and lebians and tell them that they can't get married? It is there choice and if they want to get married they should be allowed to.

12. PetraPanther

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm just saying I don't agree with it.

13. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    PetraPanther, well at least you stuck by your guns on the question of sin and I respect that but surely you look down on the vast majority of the population since most of America is living in sin in one way or another. I guess my take on it stems from the fact that I've seen many marriages go down the tubes (including my own) and after a while you start to see no real value in the institute of marriage as it no longer seems sacred.

14. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Damn, Roger's got me two for two.

15. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Gays want to marry because they say they want it fair, well okay.

This mostly stems from benefits at work, not necessarily the IRS. Marriage doesn't have the same kind of deductions that it used to unless you have kids. Gays want to be able to have the ability to share insurances, just like married people, allowed to be the default person to go to in case of accidents and harsh medical decisions, things like that. It's a lot deeper than just money.

And for the record, I agree that same sex marriages should be allowed. However, having said that, marriage is an institution based in religion, which the government has adopted. Frankly, I don't think it should EVER matter if someone is married or not and it should NOT be something that the government gives deductions to. Marriage is a RELIGIOUS icon, NOT a governmental one. I think it needs to be done away with. If the government wants to have "marriages" as something legally binding, make it a contract, like in businesses.

Okay, so how many people did I piss off today?

16. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    /\ Silly democrats 8-}

But actually Suzanne made a good point about the employers and insurance and that is something I should have included in my earlier statement.

Michael said: Damn, Roger's got me two for two.

Agreeing with me will eventually get you into lots of trouble, don't say I didn't warn you :p

17. ObiWanKainobi

ObiWanKainobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2002
    but goddamn if sinning isn't fun!

18. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Haha, trouble usually surrounds me anyway, so no worries there. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.