main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Samuel Jackson and other Original Actors providing their voice in the CGI series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    YES!

I knew it! Now, I wonder if we'll get a Hayden confirmation anytime soon...

2. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Well, that's frankly awesome. That'll enhance the experience quite a bit to have Samuel L. Jackson voicing Mace.

3. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I'm as excited to learn that Sam Jackson will be playing Mace Windu in Clone Wars as I was when I found out her was going to be playing an unnamed character in the as yet untitled Star Wars: Episode I. Good news! :D

4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Does anyone know if he only plans to do the theatre release, or is he going to be voicing for small screen too?

5. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Well I already knew he was a huge fan considering he doesn't (and to my knowledge, hasn't) bad mouth the prequels. And as a fan, I'm very appreciative that he has continued to contribute to the Saga.

I know some think this may be for the movie only, but I'm not so sure. All he would have to do is go to a studio and record his lines for a few hours, maybe a day, and that would cover a season's worth of work. Mace is a main character, but he's not going to have as much dialogue as Obi-Wan or Anakin. I believe Mike Meyers has said that the Shrek films take about two or three days to record. And with technology the way it is now, the director can link up with an actor via satellite or internet and do their work that way. Anthony Daniels did his voice work for the previous series in a very similar way.

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Those are very good points, Wookiee. His fan-love may even cause him to do such a thing like that!

The confirmation of Samuel L. Jackson is awesome. Mace Windu's badass image just got the matching voice.

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    This is great. A Hayden confirmation will seal the deal.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    This is good news.

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004

After seeing the high def version of the trailer, I'm about 91% sure that IS indeed Hayden. Anakin's my favorite character, and I've seen AOTC and ROTS so many times I can quote all of his lines by heart. I hear an almost exact voice match when he says "Fall back" and in the behind the scenes footage where he tells the commander him and Ashoka won't be able to assist him. But, if I'm wrong and it isn't Hayden, Then I'm well impressed with this voice actor.

10. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Hayden wanted to do it. I hope he does. He's a sweetie, more sentimental than he lets on. He never says anything bad about SW but you know all the moron reporters (who've never amounted to anything in their lives) want him to trash it. He's respectful of his "first family" as a celeb. He knows what side his bread is buttered on. Like that kid.

11. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    Agreed. He's gotten a lot of undeserved crap and he's never once said anything bad about SW or the fans, at least as far as I know.

12. Renzo

Renzo Jedi Knight

Feb 11, 2005
    From watching the trailers, Anakin doesn't quite sound like Hayden to me. I sure hope I am wrong, I would love for Hayden to be back as Anakin.

13. WookieeWarrior9

Jun 5, 2007
    Sadly, I'd have to agree that it doesn't sound like Hayden. It does sound better than the other guy who did the voice of Anakin.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Good to hear he is still a fan! (Knowing some of the actors have kind of snubbed the saga after being in it)

15. Wonderdoodle

Wonderdoodle Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2008
    Two things.

One, I'm glad that there are SW fans who like Hayden, because I personally think he's a great actor, and did well as Anakin.

Two... I imagine that Mr. Jackson will probably voice Mace in the series. It really wouldn't be that hard.

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Yeah SLJ doesn't seem like the kind of guy who likes to leave a job undone, or dissapoint his fans. It wouldn't be that hard at all, he could get the season done in about a day or two of voice work.

and like others mentioned, you can do it from satelite now. SLJ does have a certain pride about his characters, especially with Mace. I don't think he'd want any other person doing the voice.

17. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am definitely very excited about this. Sammy J is awesome.

Now, I don't care if anyone else does their own voice acting...but if they could get Ian McDiarmid to do Palps...I'd be in heaven. I know that most likely won't happen, but wow...can you imagine? [face_hypnotized]

18. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    That would be pretty cool. Ian really has this thing about the voice of Sidious, he just sounds demented and dark.

But, I was quite impressed with the guy who did the voice for Palps in CW I and the ROTS video game. Though, some of the lines were cheesey.

My favorite part was when Grievous bust threw his window and he puts him in his place telling him no one can just come into his office and blah blah blah.

19. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Very refreshing to hear Jackson's voice in the trailer. I actually didn't have a problem with his fill-in for Clone Wars, but it's still great to have him.

There's some fill-ins that work, and some that don't. Nick Jameson does a decent Palpatine, but his Sidious is almost comically exaggerated (I think he more or less admitted that he was intentionally playing it over-the-top in one of the BTH extras). Tom Kane's approach to Yoda is apparently just to do the funny voice, so he sounds like Crazy Yoda even when he's trying to deliver a serious line. Corey Burton's Dooku has always irked me- I'm not sure if it's because he sounds like he's straining really hard to maintain a deep voice, or if it's because he plays Dooku as being so overly proper and snooty in a way Christopher Lee never did... almost like a baritone C-3PO.

Those three are the biggest problems with the stand-by voice actors. It's gotten to the point where, when reading any novels involving them, I instinctively start hearing their voices whenever the characters' lines are poorly written. I'm not sure why that is, and wish I could turn it off, but I can't.

I know getting Frank Oz is reluctant to continue playing Yoda, but are Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee really so expensive? Hell, is Temuera Morrison? They've gotten him for small projects before. I can see why they'd go for replacements in CW GT, but if Lucas is trying to raise the bar here, the least he could do is try to get any actors that are still willing to return. On that note, it seems kind of awkward to leave Hayden Christensen out, when he's actually interested in doing it.

20. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, Ian's Palpy voice is most definitely the best. That could be because he is Palps. :p But, his voice is just really cool.

I don't see them getting Christopher Lee. He just seems like the type of actor to me that wouldn't take on a small role like this. Ian is the same way. However, I don't see why they wouldn't want to. I mean, I could see myself being the type of person that, if I was an actor and I was a character (like how Ian is Palpatine), then I wouldn't want anyone else to ruin it, you know what I mean?

Perhaps things just didn't work out with Hayden because, you're right...why wouldn't they use him if he openly stated he was interested? It just seems strange. Though, are you guys absolutely positive that he isn't doing it? IIRC, Anakin didn't really speak much in the trailer, just a one-liner (correct me if I'm wrong), perhaps it is him.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I am not saying that Hayden is doing Anakin, I am just speculating. ;)

21. BlackRook

Apr 18, 2005
    Well, we have no way of knowing for sure if Hayden's in there or not. It'd be nice if Lucasfilm would at least post a cast list. We're only four months away from the premiere.

As for Lee, I do agree that he doesn't seem like the kind of person to do small projects... but he has done voice over roles for video games before. He was in one of the Kingdom Hearts games and even played Scaramanga again for a 007 game, and that's not even counting a few LOTR games that were made after the movies (and were likely not part of any pre-signed contractual obligation). Well, I do know he loves LOTR, but if he was willing to play Scaramanga again, surely he could be convinced to play Dooku at least once more.

I just think Lee has been underused. It's a shame to have him play Dooku for what amounts to the last hour of one movie and the first ten minutes of the next, and then hand the role over to a stand-in for the bulk of Count Dooku's story. Bringing him in for one or two CW-era projects might make up for it. Plus, he's not getting any younger...

22. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, that would be nice. Though, if they confirmed Jackson, I am pretty sure they would have confirmed other people as well. I don't know if it's just me, but I would prefer Jackson over Hayden, so if they'd announced Jackson, they would have announced Hayden. (I would think anyway)

Hm...interesting that you bring that up about the games. I was unaware that he did that. However, the Clone Wars will be a long running thing, a video game will take a day or two to record it seems. He would need to repeatedly go in and record for the CW cartoon. Or...perhaps he is just mad that he was so underused, so he isn't going to do Star Wars. :p

23. BlackRook

Apr 18, 2005
    True, he probably doesn't have the patience or stamina to come in constantly to record lines. But it would still be nice to hear him on a single, contained project, like another CW video game.

Or maybe they can dig him up for the series finale. I would've been fine with having Lee play Dooku for the premiere movie and then switch over to Burton for the rest of the series. As it is, the movie seems a little underwhelming for a theatrical release, but having some of the original actors would at least help sell it a bit.

Of course, Ewan's out. So's Natalie, I guess. I think McDiarmid and Lee would've been willing to do the film if asked, but probably not the full series. I still have no idea why Morrison isn't in this (the clones don't sound like him, but at least they have accents this time).

It is nice to know that Anthony Daniels is always available, though.

24. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Well, Anthony Daniels IS c-3po. It couldn't be any other way.

25. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I am shocked to hear that it's not Morrison...I figured he would do it no matter what. I mean, he isn't that famous is he? I didn't really expect Natalie or Ewan to do it, but that would be cool.

I thought I heard somewhere that Ewan does not like Star Wars...is that true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.