main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Samuel Jackson and other Original Actors providing their voice in the CGI series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm shocked that they couldn't get Temeura Morrison given that he's voiced a couple of the Star Wars video games.

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Hmm...that's pretty cool. I need to get that on DVD.

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    In fairness to the comment above, in that same documentary he has a sarcastic comment where he says "todays the last day of principal photography....one tear" which gives a slightly different impression. I'm not sure how he felt about it.

And by the way, all of the bonus features on all of the DVDs are excellent. I've probably watched them as many times as I've seen the movies. They really do give you a behind the scenes look as to how the films were made.

4. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I think he likes SW, but it's not artsy-fartsy like some of the stuff he's done.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't get it though, sure some of his work is really deep and artsy but then theres movies like moulin rouge- which don't get me wrong, I love, but it kinda makes him seem really pansy in the movie. Ewan is a great actor, but he gives off the impression he loves his ego [remember the quote where he said something along the lines of "putting his REAL lightsaber out onto the table."] So you'd think he would be getting mad props from not only the artsty films, the love comedy films but a huge population of SW fans too.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't see how you can be an actor and not have a big ego. I would imagine a lot of the actors and actresses go into the business for the love of thespian pursuits. But I would imagine the rest go into it for the hopes of big money, lavish lifestyles, and being famous. You can't achieve that without self-importance.

7. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    The new Anakin's voice is MUCH BETTER than the whiney 2D actor. It's not Hayden, but it's very good.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I hear that. I absolutely hated the 2D actor. He did a little better when season 2 came around, but the episodes where Anakin was whining to Obi Wan was simply unbearable.

9. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    I agree sublime "But master I aaaaam the beeeest pilot in the ooorder!" Whine, whine, WHINE! LMAO

10. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I never had a problem with the 2D actor. Was he really that bad? It was never a distraction to me.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I have this sneaking suspicion that most, if not all actors, suffer from either an inferiority complex or else narcissistic personality disorder.

Keep in mind, acting in SW isn't like anything else (or at least, TPM was probably the first mostly greenscreen film).

Ironically, it's more like "make believe" play/acting that kids do, so some would suggest it's a "purer" form of acting. But it would be difficult to make sure you've got the scene right, particularly when you're interacting with an alien character.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    More than anything, that's the complaint and difficulty Christopher Lee, Ewan McGregor, and Liam Neeson had with TPM. They liked Lucas and the films. They felt like they were out of their element by only having a green screen and imagination to go by.

13. Darth_Solomanche66

Darth_Solomanche66 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Who freakin cares anymore?!

We're getting more Star Wars, dont complain! :)

14. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I hear a lot that these actors don't like being known just as the character they played in SW, such as Sir Alec Guinness, Ewan etc. I get that, I really do because they were already in some films and they don't want to be limited. But some of the actors, like Hayden, Harrison Ford (maybe even Natalie) were born from Star Wars, it's what propelled them to the other movies they've played in. They should be grateful.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was in Star Wars, I think I could live for the rest of my life as "That guy from Star Wars." :p

15. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    I feel the same way too, and so does Anthony Daniels. He IS C-3PO. I don't know if he'll ever leave Star Wars as long as 3PO is around.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The reason Anthony Daniels is always willing to do Star Wars things is because he's never had anything much come his way outside of Star Wars. Same's true of Peter Mayhew.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    It's funny cause Anthony Daniels was actually a mime before SW, IIRC. I think him and Peter Mayhew don't have much else come their way is because they've found what they were meant to do. Anthony Daniels is C-3PO. Even his voice. Peter Mayhew, like he said in an interview, just becomes Chewie when the suits on. It gives alot more life to the characters to have actors that can become them.

IMO, what else do they need?

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    If I were them, I'd be doing the same exact thing. I'd go along with the franchise wherever and wherever they wanted.

19. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    Well the thing about the Clone Wars is that Peter Mayhew probably wouldn't be involved unless he was voicing another character. Same goes for Kenny Baker. They only had non-voice acting parts in Star Wars.

20. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Exactly. Me too.

And you're right, SaberJedi.

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    But if one of the original actors aren't doing their specific part, whats even the point? I mean, I'd love to hear more SW actors, don't get me wrong, but if they're just doing like "random civilian 1" and stuff, we probably wouldn't even know who they are.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be suprised if Hammil did a quick voice of a random character, just because he stays in touch with the SW franchise and he's a well established voice actor.

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    If Mark Hamill actually did do some voice work and we knew for which part, I think it does more to interrupt suspended disbelief than to add to the story. As much as I love Luke, I don't think having him would be a good idea at all.

23. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Ok, finally Lucas answers why some of the original actors didnt return to voice their characters: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/08/11/george-lucas-explains-why-familar-voices-wont-return-for-clone-wars/

George Lucas Explains Why Familar Voices Won?t Return For ?Clone Wars?

The animated ?Star Wars: The Clone Wars? opens this week, giving audiences another opportunity to pal around with old friends like Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and R2-D2. But while a lot of the action and characters will be familiar to fans of the series, a majority of the voices won?t. No Hayden Christensen or Ewan McGregor. No Natalie Portman or Frank Oz. In fact, the only actors returning to voice their characters are Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu), Christopher Lee (Count Dooku), and Anthony Daniels (C-3P0).

So why aren?t a lot of the actors who made the roles famous returning?

?When we decided to do the feature, we went back to the actors and said, ?Look, we?re doing a feature. Would you like to do the voice? Could you come in a month?? Some of them were all over the world. It was hard to get all the actors that would be off on set,? Lucas told reporters at a press conference last week. ?You need people available every week. [Also] you can?t really afford multi-million dollar actors to do a television series. Those guys make more during their coffee break.?

But the bottom line for why most of the actors aren?t returning to voice the characters they made famous? Because George Lucas doesn?t need them, Lucas himself said to reporters.

?It used to be in animation you just had [unknown] actors do the parts. The idea of hiring a really good actor ? Tom Hanks [for instance] ? was a really revolutionary idea,? Lucas said. ?Partly they did it because they were great actors, partly they did it cause they wanted to use them for publicity. To be very honest with you, I don?t really think I need to hire a big movie star to publicize my movie. I don?t need Angelina Jolie here. That?s what it comes down to in the end. They have two days in the studio and then they have like two weeks doing press. They are mainly paid for the press stuff.?

24. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I was actually a bit surprised that with all the work he's done for the video games they didn't or couldn't get Temuera Morrison back to voice the clones. I would've liked to hear him again, but if he's busy or whatnot, good for him.

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    instead we get a guy from Indiana whose NZ-impression almost sounds like an Australian pretending to be Scottish. Only really weird voice change for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.