main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA San Diego Comic-Con 2008 Action Figure Exclusives Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthBrian, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Never too early to start this, though I guess it won't be updated for a while. :p

Gentle Giant announced their Summer Convention Exclusives

Saturday, February 16, 2008
    Gentle Giant Ltd. 2008 Exclusives

2008 Convention Exclusives
    30 Days of Night - Marlow and Iris: Feeding Frenzy Figures (New York Comic-Con, San Diego Comic-Con, Fangoria LA)
    Harry Potter - Fred and George Weasley mini bust 2-pack (New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con)
    Indiana Jones - Artifact Crate Paperweight (New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con)
    Lord of the Rings - Tom Bombadil mini bust (New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con)
    Star Wars - Anakin Skywalker Revenge of the Sith mini bust (San Diego Comic-Con)
    Star Wars - Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike â??Camo' Kustomz (San Diego Comic-Con)

Please Note: Convention Exclusives will be available in the same manner as last year; pre-order for pick-up, purchase at the show and small quantity available to PGM members through the website after the show.

I want that Artifact Crate Paperweight. :p

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    nothing like paying a bunch of money for a little tiny box.

3. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Scout trooper might be nice. But I am way too angry with Gentle Giant.

4. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Since I'm not going to SDCC this year, I don't have to worry about getting jerked around by GG for 3 days straight!

5. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Why's everyone angry at Gentle Giant? :confused:

6. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    Because they dick people around, seemingly for the fun of it.

I know from last year, I waited in line at preview night, got to the cashier, and then was told that they wouldn't sell to people with exhibitors/table badges. Strike 1.

Then they were forced to put up a sign saying so the next day, and that they would sell to exhibitors on Sunday. Sunday morning rolls around, and even with the sign posted they still say they won't sell to exhibitors. They finally change their minds halfway through the day, and when i finally get to the cashier (again), they were sold out of everything I was looking for. Strike 2.

Luckily I've been able to buy most of my GG stuff through an online retailer, and not have to deal with them directly.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Cuz they screwed us all over last year.

For those of us who had exhibitors badges, we went down early in the mornings to see if we could line up. GG was really rude to us, and told all the exhibitors we couldn't buy anything until Sunday. Everyone was pissed, but whatever, we all waited and returned Sunday morning. They then pretty much told all the exhibitors that they couldn't buy anything.

Someone else can give better details than me; I just remember GG refusing to sell to us.

8. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    *cough*someone else just did*cough*

[face_whistling]

9. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, those are Comic-Con's rules. When it comes to exclusives, they want fans to get first crack at it because the Exhibitors who sell stuff get in line before all the fans can and they buy as much as they can and then turn around and sell them at their booths.

However, those people with fan tables have Exhibitor badges and the vendors selling exclusives don't understand that you have fan tables that can't sell anything at their table. They see "Exhibitor Badge" and then follow the rules. About the only thing it sounds like they did wrong was not allow people with Exhibitor Badges to buy stuff on Sunday. Which I think is allowed. But they might have changed that too. Not sure.

By the way, they instituted those rules because people like me who get there at 5am to line up outside to get inside first, to get first crack at the merchandise, always found ourselves at the end of huge lines because Exhibitors were using their priveleges to get in line first and screw us fans out of our exclusives. So I, for one, am glad they have those rules. ;)

10. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    I don't deny that the rules are good to have in place, it's the back-a$$wards way that they went about enforcing them that pissed most of the people off. For me, it was the fact that I waited around for over an hour on Friday night in plain view of the people working the booth, only to get in line and up to the cashier before being told I couldn't buy anything. It was my first time and all, sue me for not knowing the rules of past conventions I've never attended...

And then on Sunday, after they'd said they would sell to us, that they decided, "Nah, don't feel like it." That's what pissed everyone else off.

11. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, sounds to me like at first they just didn't understand the rules and didn't communicate it to their people. Sunday is the main thing I think they really screwed up. If it was happening to me I would've raised a big stink about it and made them aware of what the rules really were. Might've told the Comic-Con staff about it as well. Oh well...I'm sorry you got screwed. :(

12. me-gonk

Jan 17, 2003
    My problem is their complete and total lack of any customer service or way to contact any person should you have troubles. I have a website account, we lost the password. At first I thought maybe I never signed up even though I thought we did. I tried to set up a new account and it said I had an account. I clicked the send me password button, no email, hit again, nothing. 10 times on different days and nothing. I tried contacting them, it's been probably a year and I haven't gotten a single reply from anyone, not even an automated one acknowledging they got it at all. I missed something I really wanted because it was sold out every day at C4 and comic-con. It was offered on their site in limited quantities but could never buy it because it says I have an account that I can't even get into.
    There is no phone number to talk to an actual person.
    I'm tired of dealing with companies who do so much to not help you in any way.

13. Volntyr

Volntyr Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Really wish I was allowed to comment on this...

14. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Perhaps an alternate
    Means of Communication?

[face_thinking]

15. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    pics o' those Gentle Giant exclusives.

[image=https://www.gentlegiantltd.com/images/post/185/NYCC%20Exclusives/original.png]

16. Solo42986

Nov 4, 2002
    Interesting... if I end up making it to NYCC I'll take a look at the Indy box and report back. Any word on prices yet?

17. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Only other information they posted was edition sizes:

2008 Convention Tour Exclusives - Edition Sizes
    30 Days of Night - Marlow and Iris: Feeding Frenzy Figures - 500 Pieces
    Harry Potter - Fred and George Weasley mini bust 2-pack - 2000 Pieces
    Indiana Jones - Artifact Crate Paperweight - 3000 Pieces
    Lord of the Rings - Tom Bombadil mini bust - 1000 Pieces

Please note - Edition Sizes will be spilt between NY Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con. Closer to show we will announce details regarding quantity available to pre-order for pick-up at show, quantity available to purchase per day of show and the quantity made available to Gentle Giant Premier Guild Members through GentleGiantLtd.com after the show.

18. me-gonk

Jan 17, 2003
    Oh man! That Tom Bombadil :D

19. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Some Hasbro/Marvel information:

2008 SDCC Exclusive Marvel Legends Shanna-Kazar-Sabu Action Figure Box Set

Here is a look at the Marvel Legends Shanna-Kazar-Sabu Action Figure set that will be available at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con. The boxart for this set was drawn by comic book artist Frank Cho. Cost and quantity in which this set will be released in is not yet finalized. We will be sure to update you as soon as that information becomes available. *Click link for pics*

2008 SDCC Exclusive Marvel Legends Fing Fang Foom

It was revealed at Toy Fair that collectors would have an opportunity to get their hands on Hasbro's upcoming 15" Fing Fang Foom Build-A-Figure at this summer's San Diego Comic Con before anyone else. We now have some more details on this exclusive along with some new images, including the first look at the collector box art. Here are the details as follows:

- Be the first to get the complete set at SDCC
    - Includes 8 single carded figures...and one complete FOOM!
    - Limited edition collector box
    - 1 of 2008 sets

2008 SDCC Exclusive Iron Man Movie Mighty Muggs Figure

Hasbro sends along concept art for their upcoming Marvel Mighty Muggs 2008 San Diego Comic Con exclusive. This 6" vinyl figure will be a movie version of Iron Man.

Click here to see other upcoming Mighty Muggs figures from Hasbro that were shown off during the 2008 New York Toy Fair.

20. me-gonk

Jan 17, 2003
    Kids are gonna want Fing Fang Foom, it's their favorite part of the Marvel Universe game. Have to get the Mighty Mug as well...we have gotten all the rest :)

21. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    More exclusive Mighty Muggs figures: Commander Gree and the Golden Idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark

More details on the Gentle Giant Exclusives (only those for NYCC, not the two additional items they'll have at SDCC) in the Gentle Giant Blog:

Convention Exclusives

Indian[sic] Jones Artifact Crate Paperweight (3 collections) $35 each
    Each crate features a detachable magnetic whip and fedora, a removable crate lid and rubber snakes.
    Collections are randomly packed. Every crate will contain one of three artifact collections. Collection 1 includes: the Golden Idol and Well of Souls hieroglyphics Tablet. Collection 2 includes: the Sankara Stones and Holy Grail Cup. Collection 3 includes the Krystal Skull.

Tom Bombadil Mini Bust $55 each
    The elusive character from the Lord of the Rings literature has been brought to life by our Gentle Giant artisans. Tom is known to many; as the master of wood, water and hill within the borders of his land. Gentle Giant captures the spirit of Tom Bombadil in this detailed mini bust; from the gleam in his eyes to his signature blue coat and the feather in his hat.

Fred & George Weasley Mini Bust (2 pack) $90 for 2 pack
    Where there's one Weasley twin the other can't be far behind. Gentle Giant Ltd. offers its Harry Potter collectors this unique 2 pack! Fred and George are up to their old shenanigans! Fred offers a treat from their Skiving Snackboxes while George laughs hysterically on the side lines.

30 Days of Night Iris or Marlow Action Figure
    Feeding Frenzy Edition
    $30 each
    Each include: Action figure with base, liquid filled (bloody) mouse pad and Bonus comic book. Randomly selected packages may include an authentic movie prop patch (Barrow Sheriff Department or Alaska Fire Marshall.)

Jerks. And what's in the crate is random/not written on the box. So even if you buy 3, you might end up with 3 of the same thing. Jerks. :mad:

22. me-gonk

Jan 17, 2003
    They're random packing the Indy paper weights!?!?!
    **** that!
    I loathe random packs!

23. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    esp for $35. lame.

i like how the crates don't include... the ark of the covenant.

24. JediZabrak

JediZabrak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2004
    Here's some pictures of the GG mini-busts this year: http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008/GG/minibusts/default.asp

And here's the page for the New York Toy Fair 2008: http://www.rebelscum.com/tf2008.asp

25. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I don't believe those are San Diego Comic-Con Exclusives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.