Tucson San Diego International Comic Con -- July 26th - 29th, 2007

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Lady_Jedi_Carenix, May 29, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    If there is already a thread for Comic Con 2007 please feel free to lock and direct me there (I looked and did not see one). :)

Who: Comic book/pop culture fans

What: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/
    One of the largest conventions in the United States celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars, 100th Birthday of Milton Caniff, 100th Birthday of Hergé, 100th Birthday of Robert A. Heinlein, 10th Anniversary of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer on TV, 25th Anniversary of Groo, 25th Anniversary of Love and Rockets, 25th Anniversary of
    The Rocketeer, & 25th Anniversary of Grendel.

Where: San Diego, CA

When: Thursday, July 26th ? Sunday, July 29th, 2007 (a preview night is held Wednesday, July 25th)

How much: 4-day badge is $55 until June 7th, then $65 until June 21st (thereafter is online or at the door registration for $65, but trust me?register online, because you don?t want to wait in the two mile line to register onsite)

Hotel prices vary, though sharing a room with me is $130 for three nights (Thursday, Friday, Saturday).

Hey all! I realize the timing isn?t the greatest, considering a number of us have just gotten home from Celebration IV, but the San Diego Comic Con is coming up in July and it is an awesome con to attend.

I have a room at the Holiday Inn San Diego ZOO area, and am in need (kind of sort pretty desperate need) of roommates. For a three night stay, hotel cost is $130. I am willing to cut that cost in half if you are willing to sleep on the floor (presuming that I get at least one other roommate). In theory, the hotel is close enough to the tram that we can either walk or ride over to take the tram and not have to deal with Comic Con parking.

The new ?Harry Potter? book comes out the week before (July 21st) , so I?m sure there will be plenty of HP related panels as well if that?s any incentive. ;) 

If you are interested, please let me know ASAP as July 1st is the deadline for hotel deposit, and June 21st is the last day one can request a refund for registration.

As of Tuesday, May 29, 2007, the special guest list (but there are many, many more yet to come):

2007 Special Guest List
    Sergio Aragonés
    Kyle Baker
    Alison Bechdel
    Allen Bellman
    Ray Bradbury
    Dan Brereton
    Daryl Cagle
    Cecil Castellucci
    Darwyn Cooke
    Guy Delisle
    Paul Dini
    Roman Dirge
    Cory Doctorow
    Ann Eisner
    Warren Ellis
    Mark Evanier
    Renée French
    Gary Friedrich
    Christos N. Gage
    Neil Gaiman
    Rick Geary
    George Gladir
    Laurell K. Hamilton
    Gilbert Hernandez
    Jaime Hernandez
    Adam Hughes
    Joe Jusko
    Miriam Katin
    Mel Keefer
    Scott Kurtz
    Joseph Michael Linsner
    Joe Matt
    David Morrell
    Karen Palinko
    Lily Renee Phillips
    Mike Ploog
    Paul Pope
    George A. Romero
    Rowena
    J. Michael Straczynski
    Ben Templesmith
    Roy Thomas
    Morrie Turner
    Mark Verheiden
    Matt Wagner
    J. H. Williams III
    Kent Williams
    F. Paul Wilson
    Brian Wood

Thank you,
    ~LJC
  2. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    So is that $130 per night or for the entire weekend?
  3. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    The entire weekend (Thursday night + Friday night + Saturday night = $130). :)
  4. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm having much intret, it all depends on if I can find a job before that date. If I do I would very much like to go.
  5. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    For that price I would love to go dunno if the wife will let me.......
  6. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have other places that I want to spend my money, and I think I'm gonna have to sit this one out.
  7. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's hoping you can get a job, because Comic Con is a blast (it is very big, so there are lots and lots of people, but the con has a little bit of everything so that you have more to see than you can see :D ).

Is there any chance she might want to go (if not to the actual Con, then San Diego)? San Diego is an awful nice retreat from Arizona at the end of July, and right now on the Comic Con website they are offering specially priced three day badges that includes Thursday, Friday, and Sunday (NOT Saturday, as to bring down the number of people there) so that's a possibility as well. ;) :)

_Anakin_Vader_ : I totally understand that point; if I hadn't made the room reservation back in February I probably wouldn't even be thinking of going, but I love Comic Con lots so I'm making the attempt to go. :)
  8. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    We both love SD so a definate possibility how much room do you have?
  9. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    I reserved a quad room with two beds, and currently I have one person who has truly committed. So, if you and wife wanted to come, I can guarentee a bed (though I do need $130 per person since I do have a rather large hotel bill).
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby