main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA San Diego Rocket Race - November 4th

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jawajames , Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Just cross-posting this here - perhaps some of our fellow fan force clubs in the southern california region might also want to compete in this fun adventure. a friend and i are organizing this event and hope to see a few teams come out and represent the star wars fans against some of the other local fan groups.

----------------
    Come play in the San Diego Rocket Race!
    "An Amazing Race for Sci-Fi Fans"

Want to spend a day competing in a fun race of speed and wits, like seen on the Amazing Race or Road Rules?

Join us in the first ever San Diego Rocket race on Saturday, November 4th, 2006
    Starting at 9:00 am outside the San Diego Aerospace Museum in Balboa Park

Teams of 2 to 4 will be:

* Traveling on foot and in their team's vehicle around San Diego
    * Solving puzzles
    * Testing their sci-fi knowledge
    * Having fun!

Register your team (or sign up to be put on a team) by October 30 or get more details by emailing sdrocketrace@gmail.com

Cost is $5 per person ? Teams must register in advance!

We strongly encourage teams representing different local fan groups to compete and have fun in this adventure!

How the race is run:

Each team (or "crew") will receive a clue packet, which when solved, will lead them to the location where they will obtain the next clue packet, and so on until the team reaches the finish line. Figuring out the answer to the clues might involve solving a puzzle or knowing trivia from the worlds of science fiction.

We strongly encourage teams representing different local fan groups to compete and have fun in this adventure.

What does a crew need?

Each crew needs a reliable vehicle for the race, with at least one licensed driver (pilot). The vehicle must have a seat belt for each crewmate. Each crew also needs at least one mobile phone to contact the team if necessary. There will be a mandatory break for lunch so bring some cash for food.

It might be handy to bring water, snacks, maps, spare change, mascot, camera, comfy walking or running footwear, or a spare compression coil or warp injector.

How challenging will it be?

Some of the puzzles might range in difficulty, but once solved, they should give you a clear idea of where to go next. Because there are so many fields and franchises in science fiction, the trivia will most likely be at a basic level. There won't be any physically demanding activities like climbing, swimming or eating gross things. If you need help, you are always welcome to ask a stranger, talk to another team or phone a friend.

If your crew gets stumped, you can call in to the race organizers for help, but it might cost you a time penalty.

How do I register?

Send an email to sdrocketrace@gmail.com with the following info:

Team Name
    Team Captain's Name with phone and email
    Other teammate's names (with optional email)
    If you are looking for a team to race with, or would like to invite other fans to be on your team, please so indicate.

We will send out confirmation of registration, as well as updates about the game.
    The race fee of $5 per team member is due on race day prior to the beginning of the Rocket Race.
    -----

If you have any questions, i can answer them here or in the related thread on the san diego boards.

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks for the heads-up, jawajames!

I've already got a commitment that day (engagement party to attend for a family member), but it sounds like a lot of fun!

3. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I think I have something going on, but I may be able to get out of it. If anyone else wants to do this let me know.

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i'm sure if you were the only one interested from Ventura, you could join a team from another FF chapter...

i've also posted the event with the San Diego, LA, OC and IE fanforces...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.