main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin Valley: What is Your Favorite Star Wars Film, and Why??

Discussion in 'Archive: Fresno, CA' started by Jirin_Raman, Jul 19, 2002.

?

San Joaquin Valley: What is Your Favorite Star Wars Film, and Why??

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. A New Hope

8.3%
  2. The Empire Strikes Back

33.3%
  3. Return of the Jedi

8.3%
  4. The Phantom Menace

8.3%
  5. Attack of the Clones

41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
  2. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I know these sorts of topics get covered over at the JC Community and Census quite often, but I wanted to see what my fellow San Joaquin Valley folks think about the great "Which one's best?" debate. Fire away, everyone!!

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Right now I'm looking at AotC with 100% by it ;)
    Anyway, AotC is my fav. For lot's of reasons really. I relate to it the best (Anakin Skywalker particularly), Hayden and Ewan give the best performances in a SW film. Fantastic SFX (with a handful of shoddy ones which every film has). Terriffic action sequences. Good score with a strong main theme as a backbone. Solid story with lot's of twist and turns instead of one big one. Has my favorite scenes in it (Tatooine scenes). Fun and cool characters throughout. This, along with TPM shows us how anyone can fall and not just those bad from birth. Good witty humor. Has a certain 'feel' to it unique to a Star Wars movie. It's fun, but not too fun, takes itself seriously but not too seriously. Good guys where white (Obi-Wan and Yoda) bad guys where black (Dooku, Sidious)clasic form of storytelling while adding in a mix with Anakin (Good guys whear what now? What side is Anakin anyway?). A fresh love story (even if it wasn't backed by stellar dialogue). To this I'd like to add that Anakin never once used a pick-up line so my mind is completely lost how so many people see those lines as that.
    My only main gripe with this is the duels weren't long enough. I didn't need them excessively strung out, but just longer. As a stand alone experience, they're not nearly long enough.
    Before AotC, it was RotJ. Best storyline. The crux of the saga.

4. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    AOTC, for sure, it resembles the TOTJ series the most!! All the Jedi and Sabres=Too Sweet!!! The scene where Anakin slaughters the Tuskin Raiders is very moving!!! Also we get our first look on screen, of the Coruscant night life, very cool!!

5. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    its difficult really, for me to pick a favorite, i like them all equally.

6. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i also like them all equally.....its hard to choose just one.....

7. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Hmm ESB hasn't got one vote. . .
    Bless you all!
    I dunno. Nothing bugs me more than when people consider it the Holy Untouchable Cow of the saga. Personaly my listing goes like this:

AotC
    RotJ
    TPM
    ESB
    ANH

It's hard to list since I love them all equally (except ofr AotC which I easily love the most).

8. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I dunno. Nothing bugs me more than when people consider it the Holy Untouchable Cow of the saga.

Sorry to disappoint you, That_Wascally_Droid, but ESB now has 1 vote!! I wanted to really think about where AOTC "fit in" in my heart, but couldn't justify bumping it ahead of ESB. I have always liked ESB the best, due to many things. The most prevalent thing that comes to mind is that ESB was and is the most clear-cut "pro-Empire/pro-Darkside" movie of them all. Some examples of this are:

--The Rebels are defeated at Hoth
    --Han Solo is captured and frozen in carbonite
    --Luke's encounter at the Dagobah cave

Of course, most notable for me in ESB is the Luke/Vader duel at Cloud City. Vader defeats Luke, and reveals his relation to him. The revelation of Vader really being Anakin Skywalker, and Luke's father, is one that was shocking. The dominance the Empire showed in ESB was more than enough to make up for way they were debacalized in ANH. AOTC was very similar to ESB in terms of tone and certain events, although I felt AOTC had more subtle events that hinted at the Empire, whereas ESB was more straight-forward, "punch you in the face" with its pro-Empire events. For the SW fan who has seen the OT and TPM, AOTC (Man, what a ton of abbreviations!!) is very easy to enjoy and pick up on, since many of the lines and events are subtle nods to the movies before it. For the SW fan who may not have watched the OT (Blasphemy!!) or understood it as well, then AOTC seems a mere "good guy" Republic vs "bad guy" Separatists. AOTC comes in a narrow 2nd place!! :)

9. Sparticus

Sparticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    My fave is ROTJ, second has to be ESB just because it's in the middle of the origonal trilogy which means there's still more stoy. :) I AOTC is up there too for the same reason, plus that speederchase on Coruscant was AWESOME. THey TOTALY flew through that part of the city in the Rogue Squadron series!!!

10. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Ohhh it can be yer fav :p
    Just so long as you don't think it's a Holy Cow ;)

11. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I'm not a big fan of cows, personally! [face_mischief]

12. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    im noy a big fan of cows either.....only when they're on my plate with some A-1 sauce.....

13. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    You know what?
    All of you can just get off their backs! :mad:

:p

14. ID4382

ID4382 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    My Favorite would have to be AOTC...Only because of the times and the story and character development was awesome and it is nice to finally see where Darth came from. Plus the battle at the end just blows the others away!!

15. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Who picked TPM?? Why haven't they given their review of why they liked it the most?

I wonder, after 2005, how many of us will be singing the praises of the final installment of the saga...........

16. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I'm just glad that after two decades, there's another SW movie that at least gives ESB competition (fan-wise).
    E3's gotta be huge! =D

17. jedi71

jedi71 Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2002
    It looks like I am the only person who thinks ANH. is the best movie, but then again I am probably the only person to have seen it during its original release (8 time at that). ANH has much better character development then any of the other movies the story could have stood a lone unlike any of the sequels or prequels there was no real need for the other movie but for box office success the other films would not have been made. Don't get me wrong I like the other movies but it was like nothing I had ever seen before, (I was only 6years old) yes the F/X are out of date by today's standers but they were state of the art for the time.

18. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    like i said, its hard for me to choose just one as a favorite because i love them all!

19. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    My choice of movie had nothing to do with F/X. Hell, I chose ESB, and it wasn't that advanced, at least compared to TPM or AOTC.

20. jedi71

jedi71 Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2002
    I am not only talking about the F/X in the movie but the movie as a whole, sci-fi movies of this type where very corny before ANH but like I said I was only 6 years old how could it have not have mad a big impression on me. I am not surprised that some of the younger people like the newer movies movies are very different then what they where. Sciencfiction movies seem to be all the same now not much originality in them.

21. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    ^ ^ ^

For our newer members---

Post your thoughts here. I'd be interested to hear what all of you have to say about YOUR favorite SW film, and why it is your fav!

22. Obi1kenny

Obi1kenny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Empire.
    Empire had a better ending....all Jedi had was a bunch of muppets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.