main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedimarine, Sep 17, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I suspect this is more a "it's cheaper to keep shows in production then start something new".

I know several people who started with this and have lost all interest already.

If it were 3 years ago...they would not have been this lucky.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The episode from two weeks ago, "The Five", was very good- Tesla as a master vampire? Very cool (though I'm a little dissapointed the black Cabal spec ops solider was vamped). The B plot with "Todd"/Druitt and Ashley was very good as well- really set both of them on newer directions for character development. The C plot with the Sanctuary attacks was the weakest, though it did shed some development on the Henry character (which is good as, really, he's the most expendable of the main 4 characters up till this point- at least there's more to him than comedic relief).

The plot overall does start to shed some light on the direction of the series' arc overall- I imagine we'll be seeing Watson and Griffin in future episodes, as well as maybe more Tesla (assuming he survived Druitt's phase-punch, which is likely given he survived that wall spike earlier).

Also, I gotta wonder- where did the sudden spike in interest in Tesla over the past few years come from? I admit ignorance to not really being that familiar with the man (though I had heard of Tesla coils and such) until The Prestige came out, then a couple years later comes Atomic Robo and some others, now Sanctuary. When did Tesla become the go-to guy for crazy historical super-science genius for fiction?

4. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Einstein - cliche

Edison - cliche

Hawking - media whore

Tesla - unappreciated in his own time, creepy genius, and as you said, there has been a slew of stuff on him lately...my guess is the writers from Sanctuary caught the history channel's Modern Marvels" episode that was all about him and his inventions and his "odd" behavior and went...BINGO...especially given his turn of the century lifetime.

Tesla is trendy right now.

5. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So did anyone watch this through to episode 13?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't watched the season finale yet, but last week's episode (the first part of the two parter) was one of my favorites so far, I think- if only for the scene where Druitt and the neathderthal greet each other at the door (being the same actor and all) and the chat between Druitt/Jack the Ripper and Watson/Holmes.

I think the show has done some pretty solid episodes as of late- I enjoyed the submarine one quite a bit as well as the Cloverfieldesque newscam episode. Though the episode where they put the Shanks-clone in that Hulk musclesuit was thoroughly terrible, at least the effect of it.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I've been debating whether to try it again. I might just load it into the DVR again and skim a couple episodes...Amanda is enough to get me that far. [face_love]

but I seriously doubt this will ever be a "must see"/"must own" program for me.

This fall was the first one in years that I took a shot on several new shows from day one...and I am watching NONE of them now.

wow...maybe deep down, I dislike TV.8-}

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I don't think Sanctuary will ever be a must-watch show, but it's entertaining enough for casually follwoed show, I think.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "What the hell was that about?"
    "The guy who invented radio just dissed Jack the Ripper"

[face_laugh]

The season finale was quite good, making for a pretty solid two-parter. It was great having these characters together- which makes very sad they killed Watson.

::after painfully making his way through a chamber-tunnel unleashing a great amount of electricity into him, Tesla makes in through and recovers his key, takes a couple recovery breaths then starts to walk back down the tunnel- only to find it it is still active::

"Your father really didn't like like me, did he?"

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So it seems Michael Shanks will be guest starring in the 9th episode of the new season (presumably to air sometime in December).

I can only assume he plays the older brother or cooler clone to The Guy Who Just Loooks Like Michael Shanks. ;)

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    He's gonna be a love interest for Magnus...you KNOW it's gonna happen!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, new season is off to a good start- I think they've found their groove. It's still not a top-grade show, but it's gotten good.

"Then get used to sitting more." :cool:

In other news, the season premiere of Sanctuary ? which followed SGU on Friday night ? was up 18 percent in adults 18 to 49 and 7 percent in adults 25 to 54 from its first season average, according to Engler. 1.85 million viewers watched ?End of Nights, Part 1.?

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's a pretty interesting show.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Does anyone remember if they did the split screen effect transition ala 24 last season? It's been effectively used this season but it seems a new part of the show's style now that it's broadened the scope and selection of it's locations ( especially in the season premiere 2-parter where they're basically going all over the world to protect various other Sanctuaries in the network).

15. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    Season 2 started off with a bang but I have since been put off by the death of the "Invisible Woman", I would have thought that would have had more respect for her abnormal-ness as she was technically one of the Five. Also the apparent death of Ashley coupled with the addition of the new mercenary chick makes it hard to get to this show on the day it airs. More Tesla and a bloodthirst Druid is a plus though, hopefully it picks up a bit and I can be better entertained when the season is complete.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That irked me a bit too.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though previously announced to be following SGU on tuesdays, Syfy has bumped up Caprica's return to that slot, so Sanctuary will be staying on fridays for now, it seems.

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I'm pissed that all of these shows aren't together on friday night. Sifi had a hell of a line up when they had SG1,SGA, and BSG all on friday. I wish they still had that.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone think that, post-Bertha, this season has been pretty great? The wider adventure stories, backstory of The Five and Tesla were always the best elements of this series and the larger arc focusing on it this season has helped upped the quality of the show, IMO. The stuff with Jekyl & Hyde the past couple episodes has been really good.

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    This show hasnt been cancelled yet? I just couldnt keep interest after the first season. What is it on now anyway 4?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's currently on Season 3 (which is it's first season to have a full 20 episodes- the first 2 had only 13 episodes), about 2 episodes away from the mid-season finale.

Once the series wraps up and moves beyond the whole Cabal storyline, as well as the daughter, and begins to focus more on adventure multi-parters, solid simple-concept stand-alones and The Five, it raises it's game.

(The Kali arc at the end of Season 2 is almost great, though the Bollywood hallucination dance sequence is silly no matter how you cut it)

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The show has now been renewed for a 4th season- though, oddly enough, only for 13 episodes.

23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Sounds like bad news?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not everyday that a renewal makes you think that, that's for sure.

It's certainly a strange development (especially with no explanation given as to why the reduction in episodes)- this was the first season to expand to 20 episodes, and that seemed to pay off both creatively and in the ratings, so it almost seems like a slap in the face to a degree.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone been following the current season? I'm still about 2 episodes behind, but there have been some really awesome episodes (Magnus meets Die Hard? Yes please!) and some really surprising concepts they've been experimenting with (the musical episode), though the overall post-Praxis storyarc isn't as strong as the Hollow Earth material mega-arc was, there have been some highlights (the time travel, the Sanctuary-goes-independent approach, etc), as well as a lowlights (the Will-centric episodes can be really hit or miss) and stuff inbetween (the Matrix episode worked well overall but the "can't dissconnect" thing has become something of a cliche with cyber stories).

And, of course, as always, Tesla is awesome. :cool: