main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sand People Language

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by vandalove, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vandalove

vandalove Jedi Master

Jul 21, 2014
    I'm sort of new to the EU and believe its important to keep alive. I get some crazy ideas sometimes and think a lot about the SWU and something recently came to mind. Does anyone know if the sand people are capable of speaking Basic? I know in KOTOR, HK-47 was able to translate for Revan, so their language can be understood. Seeing that they are sentient, I'm assuming under the right circumstances, a tusken raider is capable of learning to communicate in Basic. If there is no record of this, would you too consider it possible, or is their vocal capability such that Basic would be impossible to speak?
    I know sand people are intolerant of outsiders, but like i said, under the right circunstances, say, a tusken raider is kidnapped as an infant and raised by a normal human family or something. I mean, theyre human too underneath those wraps and robes, aren't they? They could communicate in a gritty,raspy Basic, right?
    I might be able to get some sleep if anyone can help me find an answer to this. Please, I must know!
    Thanks for your time!:D

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually they're an alien race (and a point is made in Republic comics of how they can't interbreed with humans) - but they do kidnap and induct humans - and kidnapped humans end up learning Turken. So maybe the reverse is possible. I think the Tusken chief in Kenobi manages to speak Basic.

vandalove and General Immodet like this.
  3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Like Iron_lord said, you should check out the comic arc 'Outlander' in the Republic comic series.

vandalove and Iron_lord like this.
  4. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    A'Yark I think her name was could speak Basic somewhat. She had been friends with a human woman who eventually married Sharad Hett. A'Yark was indeed in Kenobi.

vandalove and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    It makes one wonder why any Tusken would bother to learn any language other than their own. I'm pretty sure that's heretical/dishonorable in some way in their culture.

vandalove likes this.
  6. vandalove

vandalove Jedi Master

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks all. I'll check out the Republic series and see what I can dig up about A'Yark and Sharad Hett. I agree Meyerm, that it would be against the rules for sandpeople to do this, however, I was thinking of individuals who are either kidnapped or exiled.

To be honest, I've been getting ideas like this for some time and I just haven't been sure what to do with them. All I know is that Star Wars had a big impact on my life and is something which often comes to mind throughout the day. It looks like I have some more research and reading to do. Again folks, thank you for your time and thank you for the information!

General Immodet and Iron_lord like this.
  7. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I would rather they didn't have the ability to speak Basic to be honest. They're one of those societies that has such an interesting mystery to it.

8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Time for some sociolinguistics...
    It is also possible Sand People can speak Basic, but they deliberately don't because they want to distantiate from human settlers.

Gamiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.