main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sands of Arrakis: The Works of Frank Herbert

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've read all twelve "Dune" novels

I didn't really like "God Emperor though, to vague, it was truly a dark time for the imperium

2. Jedi_Allegra

Jedi_Allegra Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 10, 2003
    Currently, I'm in the process of reading Dune I even started reading it out loud to the foreign exchange student because she wanted to hear a sci-fi book in English. She understood it pretty well, but it was still confusing. Yet, what I've read thus far is highly interesting in my oppinion. I think Frank Herbert is a genious! :-B

3. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    First time I read Dune was when I was 12. It took me a while to finish it, which put me off from the other Dune books. But when I was 20 or so I started reading them again and was captivated by the universe. Although I still don't understand some of the concepts that Frank tried to describe.

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I have recently been reading Dune as well. I saw the movie Dune first before I read any of the books, and I was turned off for awhile.

Eventually I came back to Dune, and haven't been dissapointed. I am almost done with Dune Messiah now, and I particularly like it, even better than Dune.

The mainstream Dune fan seems to really enjoy the Science Fictiony action aspect of the story, which I find to be the least part of it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first part of the Dune novel. All the Atreides were just such goody two shoes I couldn't stand it. They all seemed like a family of Mary Sues, and I was grateful when they all died quite honestly. The Harkonnens are much more interesting.

The idea of Paul Muad'dib as a reluctant Messiah, and what his powers mean, and what the future of humanity is, and the surpassingly epic scope of it all is quite fascinating, to say the least.

Epic is a word which belongs more rightly with the Dune series than with Lord of the Rings.

5. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Hello there,

I've been a fan of the Dune books since high-school, which was a long time ago, in a galaxy far-far away.
    I reread the first 4 books so many times I can't even count. I love the way they inspire me to think, they were a huge eye-opener to me at the time that there was a wide world out there where people lived and loved and suffered - compared to the "sheltered" life of school. I'm reading the fifth book now, rereading actually, as it was hard to finish the first time around.

My favourites are Dune and Children of Dune. Dune, I think, is one of the most beautifully written books. I have an older print and it's not in a good condition, I tell you. [face_blush] I used to love God Emperor, but I just finished rereading it after a long time and somehow doesn't appeal to me that much but it's a great read still.
    My favourite characters are Paul, Leto II, Stilgar, Leto and Gurney.

Leto II often states in this that his father saw the Golden Path but was scared of it. He also says that he wanted a universe that's full of surprises. I love this concept so much. IMO it was a countermeasure to the Bene Gesserit and the Guild, the way they controlled humans and were able to detect near future. Leto II really had a long-term vision. I'm looking forward to what's gonna happen in Heretics. I just arrived at the point where Herbert reveals that the Tleilaxu have been lying dormant for a few thousand years. Please no spoilers on it!

6. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    A new Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson Dune novel is set for release in mid-August. It will be titled The Hunters of Dune and takes place after Chapterhouse Dune. It seems to be based on a manuscript that Frank herbert placed in a safe deposit box that also included the material published recently in Road to Dune.
    The story line involves a ship of refugees that leaves Arrakis and journeys into unknown regions of space looking for someplace new settle. It also seems to have the dholas of Jessica and Paul as characters.

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I really don't like the sound of this.

I knew they were looking at finishing off the Dune books as Frank did have a plan to tie it all up and bring a true resolution to the series.

A Paul and Jessica Ghola?????

Come on I really can see Frank having that in his planning notes.

8. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Weird. What I gathered from Chapter House was that nobody ever wanted a Kwisatz Haderach any longer. Having a ghola of Paul would make no sense at all... Actually, it would if they wanted to write a few more books after that one.
    Paul's too much of a character for one book, imo. If this was it I'll call it character assasination.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know if you have heard or not, but Hunters of Dune is coming out in August and Sandworms of Dune will be coming out later on.

They are the sequel to Chapterhouse Dune and are based on the outline written by Frank Herbert before he died.

linkie

10. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i remember finding this series in college and falling deeply in love with it only to discover that herbert had died just months before. man i was crushed.

does anyone see the similiarity between luke/jacen and paul/leto? luke and paul both know what has to be done to ensure peace and stability in the universe but are unable to do it. their son/nephew comes along and takes the path.

while i couldnt wait for the first book from son/anderson in the dune series i was so disappointed. it was not on any level near the original but i read them because frank's vision was at least somewhat visible. i knew they were working on the next one after chapterhouse but i am with you vivec. could frank have really wanted to bring back jessica and paul as gholas? what would be the point? a do over?

11. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    I LOVE Dune. It's quite simply the second most authentic universe ever created (Middle-Earth still ranks above it I think). It simply breaks all the rules and inverts everything, where the first book is really the most epic and the focus sort of shrinks afterward.

Even more astonishing is the fact that, as you read, VERY LITTLE action takes place "on-screen". Dune would actually probably be better adapted as a play than a movie: the movie keeps needing to expand on things Herbert described, but most of what happens is really conversations between characters. The great battles are not described from the POV of somone in the conflict. Raids are not immersed in. There's little in the way of active explosions, and more in the way of, when it comes to it, only one person killing another in private battle or assassination. The only theatrical sequence would really be Feyd's battle in the arena on Geidi Prime.

Unfortunately, after reading such writers as Harlan Ellison and even Alan Moore in comics, I've come to see some of the weaknesses of Herbert. He can't write characters very well: they all feel very similar. They're ALL cunning, resourceful, political beings. It's facinating to drive the plot, but after a while it gets old. It no longer feels special when every character is a cunning plotter the understands the subtleties of galactic politics. The only person that seems to be wanting is Rabban, and the contrast there seems clumsy.

12. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    We got Hunters of Dune at my store yesterday - but we can't sell it until next week - got to check it out a little though - looking forward to it!
    Was tempted to post the inside dust jacket synopsis....

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Was tempted to post the inside dust jacket synopsis....

Do it! Do it now! Hurry!

14. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    Can't now, how's Friday? - I'll run by work and make a copy of it.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

Yay!!!!!!!!

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Just be sure to black it out, because it's a spoiler.

17. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    *SPOILER*

From the dust jacket of Hunters of Dune - on sale Tuesday.

Hunters of Dune and the concluding volume, Sandworms of Dune, bring together the great story lines and beloved characters in Frank Herberts classic Dune universe, ranging from the time of the Butlerian Jihad to the original Dune series and beyond. Based directly on Frank Herbert's final outline, which lay hidden in safe deposit boxes for a decade, these two volumes will finally answer the urgent questions Dune fans have been debating for two decades. At the end of Chapterhouse:Dune, Frank Herbet's final novel, a ship carrying the ghola of Duncan Idaho, Sheena ( ayoung woman who can control the sandworms), and a crew of various refugees escapes into the uncharted galaxy, fleeing the monstrous Honored Matres, dark counterparts to the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood. The nearly invincible Honored Matres have swarmed into the known universe, driven from their home by a terrifiying, mysterious Enemy. As designed by the creative genius of Frank Herbert, the primary story of Hunters and Sandworms is the exotic odyssey of Duncans no-ship as it is forced to elude the diabolical traps set by the ferocious, unknown enemy. To strenghten their forces, the fugitives have used gentic technology from Scytale, the last Tleilaxu Master, to revive key figures from Dune's past, including Paul Maud'Dib and his beloved Chani, Lady Jessica,Stilgar,Thufir Hawat ans even Dr. Wellington Yueh. Each of these characters will use their special talents to meet the chalanges thrown at them. Failure is unthinkable-not only is their survival at stake, but they hold the fate of the entire human race in their hands. This breathtaking new novel in Frank Herbert's Dune series has enough surprises, characters, and plot twists to please even the most demanding reader.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Thank you!!:)

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Wow, that sounds interesting. I need to read The Battle of Corrin and re read Heretics and Chapterhouse before I jump to that one.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

You've got five days. Good luck!

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't plan on doing it right away, but if i had the money to buy the new novel, and had my dune novels with me, five days wouldn't be a much of a problem. I can read freakishly fast.

All of my funds are going towards tution, parking permit for my university, and insanely expensive books for my classes.

22. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    Bummer - I can't think of anything more sad than leaving your books behind!
    :(

23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Rumours

The main threat is to be the rise of the thinking machine

Omnius is to return (this was in Franks notes) as at the end of the Omnius releases a load (1000's) of the overmind into the far reaches of the galaxy in an attempt to ensure his continuation and it looks like at least one has managed to survive and expand itself.

Rumours are that it's the Omnius overmind that caused the Honoured Matres to return from the scattering and it's the overmind that Duncan et al are going to find.

As i say though these are just rumours.

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I haven't gotten around to buying a bookshelf for my apartment big enough to hold all my books. Everytime I go the my parents house I take some books home and grab some more off of my book shelves in my room there. I'll pick up my dune novels on the next trip home.:)

interesting rumours...

25. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah - very interesting rumors!
    Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.