main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sands of Arrakis: The Works of Frank Herbert

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I just bought my Hunters of Dune copy and it was one of the 10,000 randomly signed (by KJA and BH) and distributed copies. I'm so happy[face_dancing]

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Lucky you!! Did you know that before you bought it or did you find out when you started to read it?

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Just got a copy of Hunter's but I need to reread Heretics and Chapterhouse or at least skim through them before I tackle Hunters.

4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I had just seen it after reading the introduction. It was on the 2nd or 3rd blank page. I then went to dune website and read about it.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't intend at all to ever pick up a Brian Herbert/KJA Dune novel.

I've heard they massacre the original stories with such blatant disregard for continuity that it seems like they never even read the originals.

For instance, I recall hearing that in the BH/KJA novels, Paul is born on a world other than Caladan--when in the original Dune, the prologue clearly states that Paul is born on Caladan.

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I've heard they massacre the original stories with such blatant disregard for continuity that it seems like they never even read the originals

Interesting how you let others make up your opinions for you. Let them do your thinking.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Since the majority opinion is that the BH/KJA novels suck, I'm going to just stay away from spending money on a book I'll hate.

I already dislike KJA's writing style, and if Brian Herbert is as unimaginitive in his writing as the multitude of reviews I've read suggests, then I'm fine acting as though Dune's continuity ends with Chapterhouse.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Interesting how you've never in your life asked or wondered what any other person's opinion on anything was, let alone took it into consideration, since you feel so free to castigate Valyn for doing so.

9. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    A lot of people seem to hate the KJA/BH novels...
    I can't say I hate them, or that I'm overly fond. But I don't think they've massacred the Dune "franchise" in anyway.
    I think a little of the background knowledge is nice, even if there are a few continuity errors here and there, but then again, there is in Star Wars as well...

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Without getting into a continuity debate, I'll just say that the major reason why I stay away from the BH/KJA novels is because of what I've heard concerning the banal writing style.

I don't have to pick up one of these books to already know that KJA has a horrible style of writing.

I forced myself to get through his JAT simply because I was interested in Kyp Durron's background before NJO. The JAT was torture for me. KJA couldn't even make Luke Skywalker shine, let alone his precious Kyp Durron or Exar Kun.

My opinion is that if KJA couldn't do a good Star Wars book, then how the heck would he be able to do an adequate Dune novel--which have typically been written with greater quality and depth than the average SW book.

Of Brian Herbert, I've heard that he's an unimaginative writer at best.

I don't mean to insult anyone who likes these books, but I've learned to just stay away from books that have a 9/10 ratio of harsh criticism from reviewers.

I hate bland, banal writing styles.

11. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    The writing style isn't superb, and the action scenes....
    Well I skipped them.
    But I still ploughed on regardless, as I ended up feeling sorry for Rhombur...
    And even felt a smidgeon of sympathy for the Baron.
    Although I've always had a siding with the "bad guys"...
    :p

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    That's pretty much my issue when it comes to reading. The story doesn't have to be entirely original or innovative, but the writing style must be creative for me to enjoy it.

This is the problem I run into often when trying to read SW novels. For instance, Destiny's Way was a horrible read. The story could've been good, but all I kept thinking while forcing my way through it was how much I wanted to burn this book just to watch the fire unleash its wrath upon the blasphemy it represented against the art of writing.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

Classic...

Valyn's opinion is made from hearsay. When I take other's opinions into consideration about a novel, I also read it. Valyn hasn't read it and has an opinion based on waht others say. I'm castigating him on that.

Way to go, Jabba.=D=

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I haven't read Brian Herbert's writing before, but I have read KJA's stuff.

Anyway, when 99/100 reviews are filled with negative, hostile criticism about a writer's abilities, I don't think I need to investigate the matter too thoroughly in order to gather an understanding as to what I should expect in regards to that writer's quality--or lack thereof.

Furthermore, when that single review out of a hundred that doesn't berate Brian Herbert/KJA's writing simply because the reviewer "expected it to be lame anyway," I strongly don't see the need to look too closely at these books.

I'm fairly confident that such popular rebuke is clear enough indication as to what sort of quality I should expect from these two.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Furthermore, when that single review out of a hundred that doesn't berate Brian Herbert/KJA's writing simply because the reviewer "expected it to be lame anyway," I strongly don't see the need to look too closely at these books.

I'm fairly confident that such popular rebuke is clear enough indication as to what sort of quality I should expect from these two.

where's that missing the point.gif sign?

That's called letting others think for you. There have been many things that have had horrible reviews that I've ended up liking.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    No, it's not called "letting others think for you."

It's called secondary research. kthxl8rbi

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    anyway, here's a DUNE CHARACTER QUIZ

I got Duncan Idaho

[image=http://images.quizilla.com/W/WindexFinger/1048561197_DuneDuncan.jpg]

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Agree to disagree and end the discussion.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I also got Duncan Idaho

20. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Christmas came early for me today. I got one of these:
    http://www.dunenovels.com/dune7blog/page92.html

One of the managers at my bookstore found a few - they saved one for me. I teared up when I got it.
    Really.
    It was even on sale and I got an extra 10% with a member card.

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I finished reading Hunters last night and I must say that I really enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would.

22. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    I have done that as well and all I can say is the best ones were written by the Master mind himself and I have gotten some of my favorite quotes from things he has written. If you look in my bio you will see all of the Litany against Fear (I believe that is what it is called it has been a while since I last read the originals again) which happens to be my favorite quote of all time.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I also like that quote. It sums up how one should face the unknown.

24. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    Yes it really does, I have gotten a lot of comment about that quote. Interestingly people often look at that quote and ask what Jedi has said it, and IMO it does sounds rather like something a Jedi might say.

What is every one's favorite Dune book?

25. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Here's mine:

[image=http://images.quizilla.com/W/WindexFinger/1048561310_esDuneLeto.jpg]
    ...Shocking, I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.