Amph Sands of Arrakis: The Works of Frank Herbert

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I got Chani interestingly enough :p

[image=http://images.quizilla.com/W/WindexFinger/1048561159_sDuneChani.jpg=
  2. Cliodna_ben_Lhee Force Ghost

star 4
    My Dune character is
    [image=http://images.quizilla.com/W/WindexFinger/1048561310_esDuneLeto.jpg]http://images.quizilla.com/W/WindexFinger/1048561310_esDuneLeto.jpg]
    You're Leto Atreides II.

I have never read any of the KJA/Brian Herbert novels. I Do have two of them though. They were both attending a signing of multiple authors at the Science Fiction Weekend held in Seattle at the SFM/EMP in June (in conjunction with the Hall of Fame awards ceremony and the Locus magazine award ceremonies) so I picked up The Bultlerian Jihad to have them sign for me. I also have Dune: House Atreides that someone gave me to read since then.
    I am going to read them someday, before I make up my mind about whether or not they are good. But many people (myself included) have only a small percentage of their free time to read, so if they have heard or read through many reviews that a certain book or a certain writer is no good, and they decide not to give up any of that precious time to see for themselves, I certainly do not blame them.

Now on to what brought me to this thread today. Last weekend, I attended a book auction and I won a signed copy of Children of Dune. I of course already have a copy of my own that has been read many times, but how could I pass up a copy signed by Frank Herbert himself? I could not believe no one else bid on the book, I mean, it?s not like one could see the master himself in person to get him to sign a book for them now. I won it for the opening bid of $35 dollars.
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Wow!! Very nice :) And very surprising that no one else bid.
  4. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I got Paul. w00t

Edit:

The Herbert/Anderson prequels aren't bad at all. By that, I mean the Houses series: House Harkonnen was thoroughly enjoyable, and I've skimmed over Corrino and Atreides.

The problem is that they don't really get Frank Herbert's work, and so have an awkward view of the Duniverse.

I just made up that word.:D
  5. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OH I agree they are not bad books, just not as good as the Dune books by Frank Herbert himself
  6. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Very cool - I got 'em too!
  7. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I picked up Hunters of Dune and The Road to Dune yesterday
  8. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I got Muad'Dib on the quiz.:D
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I had to try it :D I got Chani.

Chani
  10. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thats what I got :p
  11. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I finished Hunters last week. I thought it was good, but a little too simplistic for a novel with Dune in the title.
  12. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ah I see, I need to pick that one up
  13. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Took the Character Quiz.

My name is a killing word.
  14. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Awesome.
  15. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Who is your favorite Dune character?

I have to say mine is probably Duncan Idaho
  16. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
  17. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7

Ditto
  18. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Paul, Duncan, and Miles Teg are my favorite.
  19. ewok_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh yes Miles Teg was great to!

What about your favorite Dune book?
  20. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Dune is my overall favorite of the series, with Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune not far behind it.
  21. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I always favored Stilgar, actually.

To those who have read "Hunters" is it worthy of the Dune legacy? And this thing was supposed to be what, exactly, anyway? The continuation of Chapterhouse? Was this thing supposed to be Dune 7?
  22. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    As far as what Hunters is supposed to be, it is a continuation from Chapterhouse, but on another level, it feels more like a sequel to the Machine Crusade that happens to mention to highlights of the original series. That's how I see it.
  23. Cliodna_ben_Lhee Force Ghost

star 4
    My favorite character in the books so far is Paul?s second son Leto, but after he becomes the God Emperor.

I finally picked up my copy of Heretics of Dune and started reading it again. I started on it a couple of years ago, but had to put it on the shelf for awhile because I was going to college at night while working full time and had no time for recreational reading :( . I also found the beginning of the story sluggish and the plots cumbersome and hard to follow. But now I am about a third of the way through and the pace is picking up. I still have a hard time following some of the arcs within the story, but not as much as when I first started it. I am really getting into it now.
  24. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    My fav character is Duncan Idaho, and I'm quite sure he will remain that way.
  25. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    I got Idaho! :D

[image=http://images.quizilla.com/W/WindexFinger/1048561197_DuneDuncan.jpg]

Although one of my favourite characters in Dune is Kynes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.