main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sands of Arrakis: The Works of Frank Herbert

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh yeah I've read Chapterhouse! It is the turning point in the Dune saga.

By the way I just saw the cover for Sandworms. Man I really, really like that cover for some reason!! I think it is the blue. Catches the eye I guess.

2. Paladin307

Paladin307 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I really really did not like the 7th book. It did not feel like a Dune book at all...more like fanfiction.

3. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    What does everyone think that the Sardaukar looked like? I didn't like their portrayal in either the Dune movie or the two miniseries. They look way too cartoonish to be the badasses they are.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Can someone explain the prequel books to me? I know there are a few but I don't know the chronological order of them. Are there any books after Chapterhouse: Dune?

5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are writing books after Chapterhouse, the latest one being called Hunters of Dune.

The prequels are two separate series: One being set 40 or so years and on before the start of Dune. The order is: House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino.

The other set of prequels is set during the Butlerian Jihad several thousand years before Dune. I don't know the order, as I haven't read them.

6. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I picked up my copy of Sandworms of Dune today - They sent out a batch of autographed ones again. I didn't buy one this time, one's enough! need to save my pennies....

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's out already????

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I had no idea it was out either.

9. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    alright, i read sandworms yesterday. took me from about 6pm to 2am with some breaks here and there. talk about your nice and tidy red bow... i now understand why herbert/anderson put out all of the battle of books. and i am glad i read them. esp now that i have made peace with his son writing the series to its conclusion for us. frank herbert was a true genius and while it saddens me that he could not write those books he did write the notes for those books. thank you brian and kevin. i apologize for any bad thoughts i had about you. it was foolish to compare you to him. if you are ever around little rock and want a delicious home cooked meal, just call. i owe you at least that.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I had no clue that this novel was out already. I'll have to pick it up when I have some cash to spare..

11. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I knew it was out, They even had a book signing with Kevin and Brian at a bookstore not far from my house. I was bummed though that I could not go to it becasue I didn't find out about it until AFTER I had scheduled surgery for that day.
    So- right now I am over halfway through with Chapterhouse Dune (Yes- those who noticed my earlier posts- it is taking me awhile to read it, but only because I had to take a few breaks to read other things). So is Hunters of Dune the next book I should read? Or should I go back and read some of the prequels written by Kevin and Brian first? I have a copy of the Butlerian Jihad sitting on my bookshelf just waiting to be picked up

12. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    I liked the original Dune book but didn't really like the sequels as much.

13. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    dont get me wrong. the sequels dont stand up to the originals. they couldnt. but after chapterhouse i wanted an answer a conclusion that i knew was in frank's head. through his notes, brian and kevin finished it for us. to understand the last two books you need to read the machine crusade and any others that have to do with the thinking machines and serena butler. i cant remember what they are all about.

14. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Jul 4, 2003
    Thanks Jill.
    I just finished Chapterhouse- what a weird ending. I wonder how much the face dancer couple come into play in The Hunters of Dune and The Sandworms of Dune?

15. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    hmmm. i cant tell you without compromising the security of the spoiler. I cant do the black out thing. it doesnt show up. you want me to tell you, pm me. i will tell you anything.

its like watching a show that's a mystery. afterwards, you watch it again and see all the signs that were there but you couldnt make it out. the old couple totally confused me until sandworms.

16. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Jul 4, 2003
    thanks jill, I want stay spoiler free for now though. It's good to know we will get an explanation for them :)

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I bought the novel today and will start on it sometime tonight..

18. Paladin307

Paladin307 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Sandworms of Dune was quite possible the worst book I have ever read. It was horribly written in almost every way imaginable with the ending being the most ridiculous development I have ever come across in a book. The authors are hacks.

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    They mutilated it that bad??????

20. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    Hacks who will sell enough copies to warrant more Dune books.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    In Paladin's opinion, yes

I'll make up mine when I actually read it.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I admit I thought they did a good job with Hunters of Dune.

I expect the same from Sandworms.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Agreed. I enjoyed Hunters. I'm hoping the same for Sandworms.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I thought Hunters was okay. Realizing that they are clearly inferior to his father, and accepting them for what it was, I don't think it was that bad of an effort. Sandworms, on the other hand. . .I found myself a bit disappointed. What did the rest of you think?

25. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    here is the irony. i wanted a fulfilling ending. wrap up all of the plot lines. which sandworms did do but it was so perfect that it felt very saccarine like. but just knowing they did it from frank's notes is its saving grace at least to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.