main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sands of Arrakis: The Works of Frank Herbert

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ::pokes head in::

Hey, guys. Not sure how many of you ever make it over to the Roleplaying Forum, but a couple of us are over there trying to plan a large scale Dune RPG. We could always use more minds!

::absconds::

2. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    *bump*

I found these videos on YouTube. They should be watched in order. They're rather pointed, though weird at first. Interesting.

First
    Second
    Third

**drumroll**

The last.

3. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I actually prefer Herbert's stand-alone works to the Dune series. The Santaroga Barrier's the best, I think.

4. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I have to say that I've never read past the first book, but I love it dearly.

Just my two cents: If a decent Dune movie was ever to be made, I want John Rhys-Davies to play Baron Harkonnen. That's all I ask for.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Since you loved the first one,, do you plan to read more?

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I do. I just have a huge collection of books already that I haven't started reading. A lot of Asimov and King Arthur books come to mind, s. So I WILL get to them eventually. It's just a matter of finishing all the books I already have.:p

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, gotcha :)

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm a huge Dune fan. To me the Dune Chronicles (1-6) is the second best series of books ever published (Lord of the Rings being first).

Out of the first six, God Emperor is my favorite. That book along with the original should be required reading in political and philosophical theory classes. The themes in those books are just as relevant now as they were the day they were published.

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I am all about Heretics of Dune. Miles Teg is the man.

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Miles Teg is a killer character. I love the fact he's essentially another Kwisatz Haderach. His mother was BG and his innate talents were opened up by an Ixian T-probe. It's pretty funny when they bring him back and use BG sexual tactics to bring back his memories. His response to the BG doing that to him was priceless when he regained his former life memories.

11. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I finished the ones by Frank Herbert, then tried to read the ones by Brian/Anderson. They just didn't hit the spot like Frank's did. :(

Evil.

12. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    You're not alone in that sentiment. Frank was the master and it's too bad he wasn't able to write more, especially Dune 7.

13. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    So, fans of Dune/Frank Herbert, anyone saw 'Avatar' yet?

Foreigner learns the ways of religous natives on resource rich planet, falls in love with chief's daughter, masters the ways of riding native animal, becomes messianic leader, unites the clans and leads battle against military/capitalist power who want the planet's resource...

Familiar?

[face_thinking]

Bonus: the air vehicle looked like a damn good design for ornithopter (sp?). Ah, for a Dune movie designed by WETA...

=P~

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've seen it.

15. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Not surprising Cameron would reference Dune.

16. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Anybody else think "Chapterhouse Dune" worked really well as the end of the series? Duncan finally free, Bene Gesserit and Honored Matres become one, two huge battles at the end etc..

Sure there was a powerful force out there of evolved Face Dancers, but to me they didn?t seam like they were an "Evil Dark Lord" type of threat. To me it seamed like another way of showing how the human race was no longer something that could be contained or controlled.

17. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I think Chapterhouse would've worked well had we not had the old couple at the very end.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah. It's a really, really, really familiar trope. Dune wasn't the first nor the last.

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    It's one of the best though.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Absolutely, but Avatar[//i] is hackneyed without any connection to Dune whatsoever.

21. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I agree. Personally I think Avatar is overrated.

22. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah, I said it when I saw it--I liked Avatar better when it was Dune. :p

It was great eye candy, and a great technology demo--but the story has already been told many times before, and many times better.

As for the KJA/BH books, I'm pretending they don't exist. I read them, mostly... I think I lost interest a few chapters into Sandworms. It would have been fine for fan fiction or whatever. I never really thought about it before, but the end of Chapterhouse does leave a pretty open-ended world and is a good place to stop.

Frank Herbert was brilliant. I wish he was still with us. :(

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Not really. Those aircraft are basically updated helicopters. I want a true thopter with wings like flap like a bird or a dragonfly.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Huh, I'm surprised I didn't up this thread when I read Dune a few months ago (or whenever it was exactly).

For some reason, I really didn't care for the last two Dune books by Frank Herbert, but the first four were pretty good. Could never get into the characters in the last two, though.

I've been reading some of the Brian Herbert/KJA additions, though, and have been pleasantly surprised so far. Most of what I'd heard was that they were a cut or three below the originals, and I don't have a high opinion of KJA to start with. Yet the ones I've read (Paul of Dune and the three Dune: House books) have been quite good. I've got Winds of Dune on my shelf now too, and I'll read it sometime in October, probably.

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    You still going to pick the last two up on discount Hunters/Sandworms that actually finish what Frank had outlined to be Dune 7 to wrap up the saga?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.