main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sandy Collora looking to direct real superhero movie

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Warning, links to AICN, which does not censor bad language

Nice to see fan film directors getting some recognition. This rumor (rumor, mind you) says Sandy Collora might direct the Shazam movie. Or at least he's setting his sights on it.

And my God, a script by William Goldman? I'm impressed...

In other news, famed and respected fan film director Adam Bertocci is still waiting for Hollywood to offer him a job mopping the floor. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    William Goldman is incapable of poor writing. This should be good.

3. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Good heavens! Not that Shaquille O'Neal movie!

Oh wait, Shazam. :p

4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    William Goldman is incapable of poor writing.

Oh yeah? You happen to catch "Hearts in Atlantis"?

M. Scott

5. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    It says that Sandy wants to direct it. I want to direct the freaking movie too! Where is my press conference!

6. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Shazaam? WOAH! That's not big news. That's like HUGE! That's bigger than HUGE. It's like JAHONKIN!

Captain Marvel in a modern live action movie. I hope they don't screw him up, or I'll be very upset.

I always loved that particular harowing sequence where everyone yells "SHAZAAM!" and the power is unleashed.

Awesome news.

I didn't particularly care for Hearts in Atlantis, but I always really hate movies that involve rape. I knew a girl who was a victim of it once, and she was pretty suicidal at times. I was barely able to get past Gladiator and The Shawshank Redemption. But that's me.

Without Anthony Hopkins HiA would have been a suckfest. I disliked the idea of only using a portion of the book too. Bad move.

But have we ever seen a Steven King book with a %100 accurate adaption? I think not. For one, they'd have to rate it NC-17, for two, it would be WAY too long.

Imagine movies on the Dark Tower series. It would be like a never ending series, like 007.

-Matt

7. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    But have we ever seen a Steven King book with a %100 accurate adaption? I think not.

*buzzer* The correct answer is, "The Green Mile."

Imagine movies on the Dark Tower series. It would be like a never ending series, like 007.

They're on my to-do list. You'll enjoy them.

That reminds me, isn't Wolves of the Calla due out any day now?

M. Scott

8. The-Matt-Man

Feb 19, 2002
    I believe you can already download the e-book. But yes, it's due out later this month, unless I'm crazy. I don't have time to read a book though, so I'm passing for now.

The Green Mile...why didn't I think of that. It was maybe somewhere around %90 to %99, but I never finished the book, so I wouldn't really know :D

-Matt

9. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    lol @ WD

me too!

10. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    *buzzer* The correct answer is, "The Green Mile."

[Oracle #1]Bingo.

I personally would like to see a director tackle 'Geralds Game.' I'd really be interested in how the screenplay was worked out. Now that I type about it, I have some ideas.

11. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Stephen King's best stories are his non-horror attempts, IMO

12. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    He's gotta be a really cool guy in person. VERY intelligent, very funny in a dry way...and, from what I've heard, witty and quick to hit the joke.

I'm talking about Mr. King, in case you were wondering.

13. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    The Shawshank Redemption was VERY close to teh book (some very necessary changes for the film, some unncessary that worked out extremely well, but over all, it really captured the story). BEST. STEPHEN KING MOVIE. EVER. PERIOD. Heck, it's one of my absolute favorite movies of all time, stephen king or not.

14. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    "Stand by Me " and "The Apt Pupil",were pretty much spot on to the books,strange how both plus Shawshank Redemption were all from the same collection of short stories "Different Seasons" though i can never remember the 4th story in the book. :)

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    "The Breathing Method." I don't remember what it's about, though.

M. Scott

16. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I don't know when Stephen King hijacked this thread... But, since it happened...

I have read more King than of any other author. I even read Dragon's Eye. The book he wrote for his 13 year old daughter. Excellent story, actually.

I stopped reading right in the middle of The Tommyknockers. It suddenly occured to me how bloated his stories can be. Also, I wasn't looking forward to the way King always ends his long stories; he writes for 1200 pages or so, and suddenly says, "okay, that's enough" and ends it.

It's truly amazing how many of his books and shorts have been made into movies.

Here is a short list of my reviews that I can think of offhand.

Thinner: Great book, good movie
    Pet Cemetary: Awesome book. Pretty good movie.
    The Stand: Awesome book. Decent movie.
    Shawshank: Never read. Great movie.
    The Green Mile: Never read. Great movie.
    Silver Bullet: Great story. Decent movie.
    The Langoleers(?sp): Never read. Pure crap movie.
    It: Incredible book. Terrible movie.
    Cujo: Never read. Great movie.
    Carrie: Never read. Good movie.
    The Shining: Awesome book. Awesome movie even though it was a lot different. Steven Weber adaptation closer to the book, but not
    as good as the Nicholson version.
    Stand By Me: Never read. Great movie.

17. The-Matt-Man

Feb 19, 2002
    I have yet to see Dream Catcher.

Langoliers...I can't remember how I found myself watching that. It was pretty frickin' bad.

Didn't he write 'The Cats Eye' which was made into a movie about 20 years ago (when Drew Barrymore was a kid)?

Storm of the Century was pretty freaky, but I didn't think the ending was planned out well, especially for a King movie. [Edited for poor choice of words, pointed out by Dorkman Law]

Then there's Micheal Crighton, and his movies get 'darn near close' to the books, but not quite. I passed on the for TV version on 'Disclosure'. I wasn't particularly interested after I read the book.

Hopefully Timeline will be good though.

Anyway. Back to the original point.

Shazaam. I can't wait to see what kind of costuming they come up with for this one. That'll be awesome to see.

-Matt

18. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Storm of the Century was pretty freaky, but I didn't think the ending was planned out well, especially in the movie.

It was only the movie. The published book was the teleplay itself. Not really an adaptation.

Dreamcatcher was bad. Entertaining, but so, so bad. Half the book was changed, and it wasn't his best to begin with.

M. Scott

19. Sleezy

Sleezy Jedi Master star 3

Nov 18, 2002
    Dreamcatcher was bad. Entertaining, but so, so bad. Half the book was changed, and it wasn't his best to begin with.

Yes, yes! To DMS you listen! :p

Oh, and I happen to agree about Hearts in Atlantis. For a so-so adaptation of "The Regulators", it should have been much better. I think it was salvaged due to the work of Sir Anthony Hopkins, but even he couldn't make it brilliant.

20. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    For a so-so adaptation of "The Regulators", it should have been much better.

Wh...what?

Hearts in Atlantis was a so-so adaptation of Hearts in Atlantis. Neither Desperation nor The Regulators has yet been adapted (although I'd LOVE to see Desperation).

M. Scott

21. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I, for one, liked Dreamcatcher. Although I think I'm the only one.

-Gregory

22. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Stephen King is in a rock band with Dave Barry, making him cool. :p

Back on target...yeah, cool rumor about Collora. Wonder if it's true and all.

23. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Supposedly Collora was very much full of himself at this meeting he had with New Line so New Line won't let him near the project now.

24. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    I didn't think Batman Dead End was all that good. The film quality was good. The look was all there. The story lacked. A lot. The filming was good, but he needs to get a better writer.

25. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    :::Nods with Bane:::

Yup. Bingo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.