Canada SARS Image Intensive

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by KitFist0, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitFist0 Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/sars_asia030331.jpg] [image=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39035000/jpg/_39035461_nurse203ap.jpg] [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39035000/jpg/_39035737_guard300.jpg] [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39035000/jpg/_39035773_baseball300.jpg] [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39035000/jpg/_39035951_handcream300.jpg] [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39035000/jpg/_39035985_sign203.jpg] [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39035000/jpg/_39035699_monkey203.jpg]

BBC
    Fears mount over deadly bug
    The deadly pneumonia, which is spreading across the world, could be more contagious than previously thought, an expert has warned.

Hong Kong, which has been hit hard, has established quarantine camps in an effort to try to contain the spread of the disease.

The illness, dubbed Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), has so far killed 63 people worldwide, and infected nearly 1,800.

Initially it was thought that the illness could only be spread by close contact.

But Dr Hitoshi O****ani, a World Health Organization expert, told the BBC that this was not necessarily the case.

He said: "In most cases infection occurs by close person-to-person contact, but there are several cases now that we cannot explain by this model of transmission."

He stressed that SARS was more contagious than the deadly Ebola virus.

"Ebola is not highly contagious in terms of human to human transmission. And we know how to prevent that.

"But this is a new disease. We still don't completely understand the means of transmission."

Outbreak grows

HAVE YOUR SAY
    I am essentially in a self-imposed quarantine
    Carsten John, Hong Kong

More cases of SARS have been reported. Hong Kong health chiefs annouced 75 new cases on Tuesday, bringing the total in the territory to 685 cases and 16 deaths.

More than 200 cases have been reported among residents in an apartment block in urban Kowloon.

Health chiefs initially placed the remaining residents of the Amoy Gardens complex in quarantine to try to block further spread of the disease.

But on Tuesday when it became clear this strategy was not working, they began to move residents out to disease quarantine centres set up holiday camps.

Hong Kong Health Secretary Yeoh Eng-kiong said the fact that most of these cases were from the same two apartment units on several floors of the building, raised the possibility that the virus was spreading vertically.

However, a rumour that the entire territory was to be declared an "infected area" has been dismissed as a hoax.

Other developments on Tuesday included:

The first suspected case was reported in Australia, a British tourist who has recovered and returned home. The first three suspected cases were reported in Indonesia. A hospital in Ipoh, Malaysia said it had quarantined several patients suspected of being infected for several days.

SARS hotspots
    China 806 cases (34 deaths)
    Hong Kong 685 (16)
    Singapore 92 (4)
    Vietnam 58 (4)
    Canada 129 (4)

SARS is thought to have originated in southern China, but has spread to many other countries, including Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan and Germany.

Canadian health officials said on Monday they had seen 31 new cases.

French authorities are the latest to advise against travel to Hong Kong or mainland China.

Last week, the United States, Canada, the Republic of Ireland and Australia also issued advice to cancel or "re-consider" trips to the affected regions.

China Airlines, Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific and Dragonair have cancelled or reduced flights.

And stock markets in Asia registered big falls amid fears that the outbreak would damage local economies.

Cold virus

The World Health Organization says that 11 laboratories worldwide are trying to identify the virus responsible for the disease.

The US Centres for Disease Control says SARS is caused by a Corona virus from the same family as that which causes the common cold.

The Past
  2. Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master

star 5
  3. AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i don't care, SARS scares me. [face_plain]
  4. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    30 million people in this country, and only 4 SARS deaths. I'm more worried about being struck by lightning.
  5. TragicLad Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Somewhat agree with Thrawn.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but when I'm awake I'm keeping an eye open. With close to 100 infected and now six deaths in the space of a month, this is one of those things that can quickly get out of hand.

Anyone have any figures as to mortality rate on this thing or is it still too early for anyone to know?
  6. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I have an open cut on my hand from when the knife slipped when I was trimming celery in produce, and so I wear a glove when I'm working cash, to protect against infection from meat. I've had a few customers ask me if the glove is because of SARS.
  7. Rani Veko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This is one of those rare instances where it's hard to see a downside to paranoia...as long as it doesn't evolve into outright panic.

Anyone here remember Steven King's televised mini-series, The Stand? Mind you, that was speculative fiction involving an escaped military-engineered super-flu virus with a 99.9% death rate, but the panic the population went through as it spread was horrifying.

The world may be due for another pandemic like the one during WWI, but we've also come so far in disease control, quarantine methods, and medical treatments to come through something similar to that pandemic with much better results. Sadly, less developed countries might not be so fortunate if it hits them. :(

- Rani
  8. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    The world may be due for another pandemic like the one during WWI

If 1/4 African young people having AIDS isn't a pandemic, I don't know what is.
  9. Rani Veko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You're right, I should have been more clear. :)

From an epidemiology standpoint, we're due for another airborne-spread pandemic, like bubonic plague, swine flu, etc.

And yes, I agree that the spread of AIDS in Africa (and anywhere else, for that matter) is an all-too tragic and alarming situation.

- Rani
  10. DarthBabe Jedi Master

star 7
    The only sort of reported case of SARS here is three hours from me.
  11. Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes, Tara kinda beat me to it. :)

We have a suspected case of SARS here in New Brunswick, in the Mirimachi area. An elementary school principal just returned from a trip to out East, and came back and wasn't feeling very well, but went to school anyways (no one really knew about the disease at this time). Well, they shut the school down and informed the parents. Last I heard a couple of days ago, it was only a suspected case. Nothing conclusive yet. Still a bit scary, though, considering Rani's probably right about us bein due for something like this soon. And here we were vaccinating against smallpox!
  12. im_posessed Jedi Youngling

star 3
    i'm really not all that worried about it...mostly because i don't see the point
    it may sound caloused, but really, all over the world people get sick and die, now it's our turn. it's not that i think we are "due" for an epidemic, but it doesn't surprise me that one is coming...if that's what it is...if it is the virus that causes common colds, that spreads easily anyway, and it doesn't surprise me that it has mutated into something to outlast the drigs people take to get rid of a cold (which is pointless anyways IMHO)
  13. Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Most plagues start off slow...though the numbers are small right now, all this SARS thing needs is a common carrier and it could quickly become a crisis. I don't mean to scare anyone or cause problems but I do have a gut feeling that this is something that should not be ignored.
  14. Cow_Girl Jedi Master

star 5
    I wouldn't start to compare this to a plague just yet, I'm just glad that it was detected earlier rather than later. I think that the people rushing out to buy masks to cover there noses and faces are going just abit to far. The best way to protect yourself, and this applies to any kind of sickness (flu, cold, etc) Is to wash your hands often and well.
  15. Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan

star 4
    in the us the closest case was about 6 hours from me but considering that the us hasn't been infected much that's pretty bad
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.