main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Satan: Good or Evil?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heavy Isotope, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Again, though what does that mean? Muhammad retconned Jesus into a human prophet. Bahai retconned Muhammad into one of many messengers, when his whole point was to be the final revelation. They are different religions. Why shouldn't they have different ideas?

As for your instance with David, I'd say that's actually highly consistent with how God dealt with bad people. For instance, read the commentaries on the Babylonians. God condemns them as barbarous violent, wicked conquerers, and then has them do this to Israel. He punishes them for their war-mongering while also providing outlets for it. Just because a figure does something that assists God's objectives does not at all means he likes or approves of them. If people insist on being awful, that's pretty functional for instances when awful things need to happen.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The Judeo/Christian conception of Satan evolved over the millennia, much like the conceptions of God, heaven, and hell. I don't deny that at all. But even if there was no concept of the modern Devil in Biblical times (and I think that's debatable), that still doesn't change the Devil's role in mainstream Christian belief. (After all, we still talk about "The Trinity," even though that's not in the Bible at all.)

Anyway, I don't think the OP was asking questions about every figure in the Bible who is described in Hebrew as an "adversary." (There are lots.) Rather, I suspect she meant "Satan" as the term is used in modern times. That conception of Satan is of a definitionally evil being.

Heavy Isotope likes this.
  3. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Yes, but I also appreciate the side commentary. Thanks everyone for your input. :) Please feel free to continue!