Satan Worship in Prison?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SaberGiiett7, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    Alright is this right or not?
    I was watching Hannity and Colmes like a 4 days ago and they debated whether or not Prisoners should have the right to hold service's in their own guarded room.What do you think?Should they by Constitutional Law have a right to do this?Or is this endangering the stability of the Prison by allowing these people to worship many times the same influence's that got them there?
  2. Maveric Force Ghost

star 4
    Under the First Amendment, if they are allowed to worship the more socially "acceptable" religions, the exclusion of this one could be found in violation of their freedom of religion rights.
  3. Darth_SnowDog Jedi Master

star 4
    Maveric is absolutely correct.

If the state prohibits one individual from practicing their specific religion, for whatever reason, they are abridging the First Amendment.

It is imperative that we protect the rights of all indivudals to practice whatever religion they deem fit. Lest we forget why pilgrims came to America in the first place... some day it could be you being persecuted for your beliefs...
  4. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It depends on exactly how they plan on worshiping.

Obviously requests for human sacrifices are out of bounds and, considering the prison enviroment, so would many other requests they could probably make. But just worshiping satan, as distasteful, as it is to me, isn't illegal.
  5. Waning Drill Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Prisoners should be allowed to "worship" freely. But if a ceremony is required that includes extraneous materials, it should first be taken into account just what the nature of those materials are. No blood sacrifices allowed. ;)
  6. Darth Geist Force Ghost

star 5
    It's worth mentioning that there's no evidence of widely organized religious sacrifices done by any church of Satan; when it does happen, it's always some lone nut.

There are people out there (Jack T. Chick comes to mind) who'll tell you that Satanism is a worldwide secret society that sacrifices 20,000 Americans a year, but there's nothing to back that up.

So, if some random inmate wants to prance around in an inverted pentagram and chant in fake Latin for an hour or two at a time, hey, whatever floats your boat.
  7. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    *shrugs*I don't agree with it.I mean they can ban little children praying in school to themselves but they let this stuff happen.*shrugs again*
  8. Darth Geist Force Ghost

star 5
    "I mean they can ban little children praying in school to themselves but they let this stuff happen."

I'm all for prayer in school--on a personal level at least, as long as the faculty doesn't mandate or regulate it. The way I see it, as long as you're not hurting anyone, your religion is your business.
  9. Maveric Force Ghost

star 4
    *shrugs*I don't agree with it.I mean they can ban little children praying in school to themselves but they let this stuff happen.*shrugs again*

But there is a difference here. One, is that in school, it is publicly lead prayer. The second, is prayer in a private confined space, the prisoner's cell. A person praying or worshiping in silence does not run the risk of making someone who does not share their faith uncomfortable as it would if they were one amongst dozens who did not pray aloud.

The USSC has drawn the line very conservatively and has said that no prayer is allowed in schools. By saying no to ALL prayer, they do not have to allow prayer to some of the more "odd" religions that exist.
  10. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    In California, Muslims were allowed to exit class and pray in the school. They were even given a special room to do it in and I'm sure every person in the school was aware that they were being given this special treatment. I believe that the school is now being sued, but I think I've made my point.

I believe that letting prisoners worship Satan in prison would be utter stupidity (no offense intended). Allowing them to do just violates common sense.
  11. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    What was your point?

Muslim parents should take their students out of public schools or else they wont be able to pray as directed by their religion?
  12. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    My point is, some religions are excluded from public schools while others are not. If Muslim parents want their kids to pray as their religions states, then they can take their kids out of public school. What happened to no prayer, no exceptions?
  13. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In California, Muslims were allowed to exit class and pray in the school. They were even given a special room to do it in and I'm sure every person in the school was aware that they were being given this special treatment. I believe that the school is now being sued, but I think I've made my point.

They shouldn't be given this special treatment. If they need to pray alone or only with other Muslims, they should do so at home or at their temple (I'm not sure what the word is or how to spell it). They shouldn't expect special treatment. If they are given this treatment, then everyone should be allowed to leave class, and go to a room, to pray, or if they don't pray, think about whatever.
  14. Darth Geist Force Ghost

star 5
    The problem with that is that Muslims are required to pray five times a day, at very specific times.
  15. Maveric Force Ghost

star 4
    I did not get the point either.

How is this different than allowing Christians who do not believe in evolution to leave the class during lecture on that subject?

Until someone sues, people/schools can get away with it.

In Sante Fe Texas, the site in which the most recent seperation of church and state case originated, a prayer was still said prior to the game, although it violated the USSC's ruling. There is no branch of the government that enforces the high court's rulings, and it is only when someone sues that the institution in question catches some heat.
  16. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Rebecca I'll assume you're unaware the second pillar of Islam obligates muslims to pray five times a day at set times.

Surely you aren't suggesting that they should be forced to violate their religion to get a public education?
  17. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Surely you aren't suggesting that they should be forced to violate their religion to get a public education?

If they are allowed to leave class, and miss lessons, then everyone should be able to.

Regardless of what their religion states, it is giving them special treatment.
  18. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Maveric: When was a Christian ever allowed to leave the class when evolution was discussed? My parents took me out of public school for that very reason.

EDIT: Exactly, Rebecca. :)
  19. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No, it's giving them equal treatment.

There is no requirement I know of that Christians have to pray before football games or anythign else. This is free exercise of religion.
  20. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    That would depend on how you define 'requirement'. 8-} The Bible states we should pray to God constantly and always give glory to Him.

And it is unequal treatment. Prayer is prayer, religion is religion. If they are given an exception, then others should be given one as well.
  21. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No, it's giving them equal treatment.

It's not giving them equal treatment. It's allowing them, and no one else, to leave in the middle of lessons.

If I started a religion that says I must pray on the hour, for ten minutes, while eating bananas, should I be allowed to leave class every hour for 10 minutes to do my prayer-and-banana-eating? NO! Not unless everyone else in the class is allowed to leave at the same time, and do whatever prayer, or if they are non-religious, thinking about life, that they want, at the same time.
  22. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I don't know where you went to school, but where I went students were allowed to go to the bathroom.

I can't imagine this would be any more dusruptive then that.

Besides, it's not like at 12:01 exactly they have to pray, they is a window of time and they can choose the moment to leave class if neccesary. I don't see how slipping out for a few minutes during an activity would throw the education system into chaos.
  23. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    It isn't a matter of being disruptive; its a matter of being fair.
  24. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't know where you went to school, but where I went students were allowed to go to the bathroom.

We're talking apples and oranges here. Needing to use the bathroom is a natural bodily function there is no way to avoid. It has nothing to do with being fair.
  25. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Is anyone saying you can't pray before a test? I know I did and they never slapped me with a suspension.

The requirements for their prayer are much more specific then anything I know of in Christiandom. Certianly christians aren't required to prostrate themselves while facing Bethlehem .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.