main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Satanism

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Cobranaconda, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien666

Damien666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2004
    Satan is the father of lies. He was always evil and always will be. The reason we have these human flaws in the first place is because of Satan. I used to worship Lucifer. Now I worship God and it feels much better. All I'm saying is that it's better being in the presense of the creator than the destroyer.

2. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Last year I had someone from the Watchtower Society (Jehovah's Wtnesses) come to my door, and I was incredibly bored so I had a little chat with him.

He told me that Satan's biggest beef with God was that Satan wanted to be Jesus, but God wouldn't let him, so Satan threw a temper-tantrum about it.

It's interesting hearing the different backstories of the mythology of Satan from each religion or religious sect.

3. GrandDesigner

GrandDesigner Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2003
    First, I'll note that I dont know much about Satanism. I dont know much about Christianity either, but I'm just gonna jot down some responses to things, which make sense to me.

<< Most religions that I know of however, say that the Devil was an angel until he got annoyed with god or Allah, and then he got kicked out of heaven and shoved into hell.>>

Just because some religions possibly believe thats what happened doesn't mean thats what happened. Lets face facts. Whatever went "down" between G-D and Lucifer, Luce (pronounced loose, not lose) to those who know Him, is their issue. And if Luce did do something to torque off big G, then thats Luce's problem, not mine.

<<Satan truly doesn't believe he's done anything wrong, but that God acted unfairly towards him.>>

Noone can do wrong. Not even Satan(Luce).

<<If Satan asked God for forgiveness, it would be granted, but Satan won't do that because he believes God is the one owing the apology. >>

Lucifer wont do that because He knows forgiveness is not what He wants. And He knows G-D wont forgive anyone, including Luce, for something they dont need forgiveness for.

<<They give themselves over to earthly pleasures and forsake the spirit.>>

<< But people always think Satanists want to kill people and burn churches. Mainly (excluding the Norwegians and Glen Benton) all they do is have fun. And eat, get drunk, and smoke their heads off.>>

I would offer that there are members of any religion/faith who do such things. Even some Jedi. All humans here, you know?

<<I'm more of an atheist.. But I understand satanists... As well as christians and other beleivers of any religion..>>

You mean you realize that 'Satanists' and 'Christians' and 'Catholics' and 'Jews' and 'Muslims' are all humans? Good :) It's good when people can understand even an ounce of how others see things.

<<There's no substantial proof that says: God exists.. >>

[wave] and what sort of display would show you G-D exists? [/wave]

It's not like Luce is popping out of Jack-in-the-boxes or something or that the atheist Guy, whoever that is, shows Himself everyday. Even if G-D walked on water or woke up after death, and billions of people believed in Him, that's still not enough for anyone else to say their expectation has been satisfied. Would a better display be in doing the opposite? Have only 1 person believe in G-D as opposed to the multitudes who do? I'll consider that....sounds rather amusing actually :)

<<IIRC an agnostic only believes what he has seen or experinced himself.
    Most people these days are agnostic, that's the effect of science.>>

Most humans, when it comes down to it, dont know exactly what they believe even though they do believe something.

<< Satan is the father of lies. He was always evil and always will be. The reason we have these human flaws in the first place is because of Satan.>>

This is more of how some people would 'assume' Lucifer is. That doesn't mean Lucifer is that way. I will point out here, in Lucifers defense, that humans have a blatant tendency to decide how this G-D or that One is or what they have done to warrant this judgement or that. The ole 'did G-D create us in our image or did we, amazing humans, create G-D in our image' line isn't normally brought up inserting Lucifers name where G-D's is but it's just as silly as saying Lucifer is this or that. Next thing you know, you're putting horns on the guys head and saying he resides in a burning volcano or something.

G-D

4. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    But people always think Satanists want to kill people and burn churches. Mainly (excluding the Norwegians and Glen Benton) all they do is have fun. And eat, get drunk, and smoke their heads off.

Seems their not living up their predescecors. If that's all they do, it's most likely they only use the Satanism title as a mean of making people scared of them. Or maybe they just want to be different because it's the cool thing to do. Who knows, I have no pity for anyone who worships (no matter how little) Satan.

5. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I know. But they call themselves Satanists because they follow what he wants them to do. Like I said, they forsake the spirit in favor of fleeting earthly pleasures. Just because they don't worship him doesn't mean they're not doing exactly what he wants them to do.

No, you're missing my point. True satanism has nothing to do with the biblical "Satan".

BTW alistiar crowley, while he may be slightly touched, is not a satanist

Thank you.

I had always assumed purely based on the name that satanism was, in fact, the worship of Satan. If it's not; if it is, in fact, the following of one's natural desires -- what is the difference between satanism and hedonism?

And, thank you.

Sa·tan·ism (stn-zm)
    n.
    The worship of Satan characterized by a travesty of the Christian rites.
    satanism Profound wickedness.

[face_plain]

Seems their not living up their predescecors. If that's all they do, it's most likely they only use the Satanism title as a mean of making people scared of them. Or maybe they just want to be different because it's the cool thing to do. Who knows, I have no pity for anyone who worships (no matter how little) Satan.

Thats the whole point, there. If someone wants to bow down to the biblical "Satan", well...good for them. But that person is not a true "Satanist". A satanist does not worship false gods and devils. Its like a rebellion over what religion is all about.

Do some research on it. And no..."The Satanic Bible" is not research....thats comedy.

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, you're missing my point. True satanism has nothing to do with the biblical "Satan".

No, you're missing MY point.

Whether they worship the Biblical Satan or claim nothing to do with him, to forsake the spirit is to forsake God, and Satan's aim is to get people to forsake God.

Hence, whether they call themselves Satanists and worship Satan, call themselves Satanists and mean hedonists (why exactly do they use the term Satanist if they wish no connection with Satan?), or call themselves Turtlists and practice hedonism, if they do so at the expense of a relationship with God, then from a Biblical perspective, Satan holds sway over their souls, whether they acknowledge it or not.

In spiritual matters, if it is not of God, it is of Satan, and whatever you CALL it, that's how it is.

M. Scott

7. cheese_boy

cheese_boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    I prefer Satan. Much more interesting story.

Lucifer: Heaven's Union Leader.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    In spiritual matters, if it is not of God, it is of Satan, and whatever you CALL it, that's how it is.

God is George Bush? Noooo!! No wonder he sucks.

And no, Satanism is kind of like atheism, but spiritual. Or so I've been told.

9. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Now, I don't believe in any sort of religion, so maybe I shouldn't comment but I get confused over why anyone would worship Satan. If you are going to go down the road of religion, wouldn't you choose the one that promises life eternal and paradise? Why you would worship the bad guy who's going to do nothing but damn you for eternity seems very demented to me.

10. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Because the bad guy is cooler. ;)

11. Damien666

Apr 6, 2004
    I'd like to see you say that when you're burning in the eternal pit of fire. A pain that will never end.

Suppose that a sparrow took a drop of water from the Atlantic Ocean, hopped across the country, put that drop in the Pacific Ocean, then hopped back to the Atlantic Ocean, and repeated the same thing. When that bird had emptied the Atlantic Ocean into the Pacific Ocean, eternity would have just begun. And how tragic to spend that eternity in hell.

12. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Now, I don't believe in any sort of religion, so maybe I shouldn't comment but I get confused over why anyone would worship Satan. If you are going to go down the road of religion, wouldn't you choose the one that promises life eternal and paradise? Why you would worship the bad guy who's going to do nothing but damn you for eternity seems very demented to me.

I've never met one "satanist" that wasn't obviously doing it for the purposes of rebellion, considering there is no true religion of satanism. Satanism wasn't invented by satanists after all, it was invented by the Church around the same time of all the witch burnings in the 1500s.

A lot of times paganism is viewed as satanism, but they're actually two entirely different things. Paganism is a term given by the christian church about mostly polytheistic religions or pretty much any religion that's not buddhist, jew, christian, or muslim. So religions like Wicca get thrown into the Satanism mix, even though it has nothing to do with satanism.

Satanism does not really exist, at least not in the Christian sense.

13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The ocean analogy works better if you don't realize the two oceans are, you know, connected.

I prefer this one, from Joyce, as interpreted by Pratchett and Gaimen.

Edited for coherency.

There's this big mountain, see, a mile high, at the end of the universe, and once every thousand years there's this little bird and every thousand years this bird flies all the way to this mountain and sharpens its beak and then it flies back-And after a thousand years it goes and does it all again. The point is that when the bird has worn the mountain down to nothing, right, then you still won't have finished watching The Sound of Music.

14. Damien666

Apr 6, 2004
    "The ocean analogy works better if you don't realize the two oceans are, you know, connected."

I think that's the point, there is no end to to eternity; it is forever.

You might like this one.

Think of all the leaves on all the trees. Multiply their number by all the grains of sand on every beach. Then multiply that total by all the inches between yourself and the sun. Let the sum total represent centuries, and only then would eternity have begun. Only then would the sinner in hell have a small part of the suffering of that awful place.

15. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The difference between that and your earlier example is the secodn one provides a finite number, which is of course nothing to infinity, the first starts off with infinity and then says it's not even the start of infinity, which is stupid.

Either way the whole thing is silly since the numbers mean nothing to mortal perspective.

16. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    But they're both very poetic.

17. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    I'd like to see you say that when you're burning in the eternal pit of fire. A pain that will never end.

Surely there'll be lunch breaks.

18. Damien666

Apr 6, 2004
    "And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame."

He wanted water but got none. So no, you will not get any lunch.

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name"

And you also won't be getting any breaks.

19. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    What about on birthdays?

20. Damien666

Apr 6, 2004
    I think you get extra punishment on birthdays.

21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002

What if we're hardcore masochists? It's not so much 'punishment' is it?

22. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000

Oh good. Something to look forward to.

23. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    That "same amount of spankings as years" tradition didn't come from nowhere, you know. ;)

24. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    This just keeps getting better. ;)

25. WookieSeeWookieDo

WookieSeeWookieDo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2004
    This is in reply to the original post. Do you know many "Satanists" who complain about being misunderstood or who want to somehow be embraced? Thats not a Satanist, it's a confused "poor me" person who feels they dont fit in so they use "Satanism" as a way to justify certain behavour and as a means to fit in somewhere. If I were a Satanist, I would not want your acceptance, mercy, or understanding. I would consider you below me. ... if i was a Satanist...

Sorry for the typos, its late ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.