main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson saturday 8/4 minis/planning meeting/armor build

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by firstsonofsolo, Aug 4, 2007.

1. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Hey all people will start arriving in the afternoon as early as 1:00pm. Come whenever you feel like!

The howl o ween planning meeting will start at 3:00pm.

Minis are planned to start around 4:30pm

Armor building will begin around 12 and run through out the evening.

my address is
    6723 S Placita Segovia
    Tucson, AZ 85757

home and cell #s
    322-6277
    664-8409

2. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Is it a smart idea to post that stuff on a public forum?

3. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Seeing as how I am the CR and I also have the home # posted on myspace of all places.......

4. padumavati

padumavati Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2007
    Holy crap, you're out in TriCo territory? Craziness.

So are is Minis play starting at 4:30, or is that when the general Minis confusion starts? :p So in other words, should I actually get there at 5:30?

Also, is there going to be some kind of dinner arrangement? Should I bring something?

5. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Hope you guys get alot done, and have fun..while I'm stuck at work.... :mad:

6. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    5:30 is fine Lauren.....you can bring snacks or drinks if you want but we will prob do a collection for pizza.

7. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    All I can say is Boba kicks some serious butt!!!!!!!

8. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    Anything that can take out 7 STORMTROOPERS IN ONE HIT can't be too bad...

and I just realized that my Ewok squad would be completely useless against you.

So now my life's goal is to get that ultimate Thrawn squad.

9. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Thank you Chris and Amber for hosting all of us

10. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Just dont let Boba get line of sight on Thrawn or Mas Ameeda or hes a goner!

Ewoks have lots of fur the catch on fire easily!

11. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    It was fun seeing you all again, hopefully I can show up to more things (when I am in town)

12. padumavati

May 30, 2007
    I had fun once we started playing minis. :p Luckily I downed enough Cherry Pepsi to keep me going 'til midnight when I finally got home. I usually go to bed at 9.

I think we should start discussing the makeup of our squads, and when we want to do crazy deadly melees or more strategy games. I usually do squads that are middle of the road... characters are usually medium powered or weak but there are a lot of them... using over-powered characters like some of the Fetts and Vaders can take away from the fun if there's pretty much no way to beat them. I like strategy-based games more, but if you guys want to play power characters, rather than a more strategic game, I can start making beefier squads I guess... I just think it's more fun to be more evenly matched. I also think WotC have been exacerbating the problem by offering high-power characters (whether unique or not) with low point costs as rares and very rares to be able to include more of them in the sets. Bad WotC, bad!

So are we going to play again soon? I might be able to get Zachary to come if it's earlier in the afternoon. We could do H&V on a Sunday afternoon, or do the Saturday thing again if someone wants to host (if I have air conditioning in my whole house someday, I promise I'll host! Until then I'll just have to bring foodstuffs). I can't do this Saturday 'cause we're having a birthday/going away party for a couple of my coworkers, but the weekend after should be good.

13. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Yep you should have seen what 4LOM did to Vader after you guys left!

I personally would like to see a beefy squad from you Lauren as you are experienced in this game and know tactics.

I really want to build a Mandolorian squad which could field alot of characters or a stormtrooper squad.

Much like when I played Magic I want several "decks/squads" some for gruesome battle some for fun and some for big multiplayer games. I will admit the downside to myself is I play to win and am very aggresive when playing games but in the same hand I am NOT a sore loser I just restrategize and go again! LOL

14. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    Even though we should have learned our lesson by now and should be taking your advice, but I actually do think that there can still be immense strategy in having just a couple good figures. I mean, when it's Boba Fett against a bunch of 10 or 20 HP minis, that's one thing, but when it's Vader and Palps versus 20 clone troopers, it can still go either way. That's why the system works: Even if it WAS just Boba vs. 10 Stormtroopers, Boba can still light 'em all on fire, but the Stormtroopers that survive all get to gang up on one figure.

And the points system, in most cases, unless you have a strategy that can cheat the system, which none of us do (i'm still trying though [face_devil]), it DOES make things fairly even, and the best player usually wins, because assuming 'there is no such thing as luck', it depends solely on how you use your figures.

If there were some amazing figure that merely having could guarantee you victory, or some combination of characters that made losing impossible, everyone would just have one of those, or be saving their money to do so.

Granted, Boba wiped the floor with all of us, but I still know that there must be some way to beat him. And THAT is where the strategy comes in. You may be at a disadvantage, but hey, the Ewoks pulled it off, right?

But in the end it all comes down to the roll of the die. I wish it were possible to make your won luck, but the thing is, the randomness is essential. It makes it so that even a new player can pull off a victory against all odds. The unfairness makes it more fair. (Think about THAT ONE for a while! :confused:)

However, I think most of us agree that Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter should be worth at least 100 points. And NOBODY let Chris get his hands on a Dengar. [face_worried]

Wow. I just realized how much I like this game. And I haven't even ever won before.

And there are squads for every occasion. Sometimes swarm squads are the most effective way to take down an All-Powerful figure, but in other cases (*cough*BOBA*cough*), maybe you need your own Power-Packing Posse. It's for this reason that it is a good thing to have a few options when picking your squad. Me, the only thing I can really do is choose which of the expensive figures I want to base my army around. That's my weakness. Take out my key figure, and I can't win. STRATEGY!!!

BTW Laurenn, I'm not trying to undermine your concerns, only present my thoughts on the subject. Hopefully I did as much in the 500 freakin' words it took to say all this.

15. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    _Anakin_Vader_: I just realized how much I like this game. And I haven't even ever won before.

Win or loose it's fun to play and be a part of.

16. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    UMMM Mike I already have Dengar an was using him. I need......

Bossk
    IG-88
    Zuckuss

17. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    Oops I meant to say Bossk. He also has flamethrower.

18. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    so does Jango...........

19. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    Fair enough... I don't really know what I meant by that when I said it. Disregard.

20. padumavati

May 30, 2007
    There is always strategy, but there are certain squads that will have nil chance of winning based on their makeup and who they're up against.

But if WotC keeps offering overpowered characters for low point costs so they can make them rare, it kind of defeats the point system. Also, Boba Fett costs less than General Windu... figure that one out. :confused:

There are characters like that. More than half of tournament play squads are based around Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter and Grand Admiral Thrawn. Check out the WotC message boards and look for "broken figures."

All I'm saying is... if I have to play against Boba Fett every time, I'm going to start bringing the Basilisk War Droid. :p

I'm just kidding, I actually hate the Mandalorians. I think they're way, way overpowered and neither fun to play with or against. I guess I should recognize that people like to play to win... and although winning is fun, I don't care about it so much as long as I know I had the chance.

For reals though, prepare for Team Shatterpoint. [face_devil]

21. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    good Jangos son has been looking for some revenge.........

22. _Anakin_Vader_

Mar 8, 2005
    Revenge for winning?

When can we do another one? School is starting soon (week from today) for me and that plus work will pretty much take up all of my time. I don't really know when I can though just cuz I'm busy every night this week until Monday, but I can't do that either cuz I gotta get ready for school the next day.

But you guys can obviously still have one w/o me. I will allow you to do as much. My pawns. BWA HA HA HA. er whatever. nvm.

23. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Do we ahve an idea as to when the next one will be? maybe after the next meeting (if time permits)?