main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Saturday April 5th 2008 - Yuri's Night @ the Ontario Science Centre [all ages]

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by pyrotix, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrotix

pyrotix Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2008
    http://www.yurisnight.ca

Hey guys - Yuri's Night is the annual celebration of the first spaceflight, taken by cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin in 1961. We thought you would be into it :) Also, we are seeking sci-fi vendors for the "convention" room - if you know anybody who might be interested, send them to our site.

[image=http://www.yurisnight.ca/flyerBack.jpg]

Yuri's Night is a global celebration of the first human spaceflight taken by cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin in April 1961. There are over 100 Yuri's Night events planned for this year's!

+ Keynote speech by Dr. Robert Richards, founder of the Google Lunar X PRIZE team "Odyssey Moon"

+ Musical Performances by JELO, OS/2, The Phat Conductor, Vaneska

+ Hosted by Guy Michael (aka MC Gobstoppa)

+ Art Installations by Newmindspace and BurnON

+ Space Themed Exhibits and Projections

+ Access to Science Centre Exhibits (Including Space Hall, Sport Hall, Hot Zone, Weston Family Innovation Centre +more)

+ Convention booths for sci-fi, space, green technology

+ Appropriate for All Ages

Tickets:

$15 early bird (until March 16)
    $20 advance
    More at the door

Ticket info TBA

http://www.yurisnight.ca
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=9558459002
    http://www.newmindspace.com

2. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    I'm not sure this would be considered approprate... i'm not seeing the Star Wars connection... or the FanForce relation... seems more like spam... I personally love Newmindspace... but that's not the point here...

3. pyrotix

pyrotix Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2008
    Yuri's Night events in other parts of the world are usually huge magnets for Star Wars fans, anime addicts, Trekkies, sci-fi readers, and many other social groups whose universes revolve around space.

This would be a perfect place to bring a lightsaber or a remote-controlled R2, for example.

Also we were hoping you guys might know some potential vendors so there WOULD be some Star Wars-specific vendors at the event.

Hope to see you there :)

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    The same could be said for a variety of other events or locations that could cater to Star Wars fans but since this doesn't directly relate to Star Wars, or Fan Force it seems to fit better into the SPAM category.

5. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    These are the same guys who organized the light saber battle by the ROM

6. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    I get that... and I donated money to have another one of those nights! but this is not even remotely like that... it doesn't seem right to just pimp every event regardless of relavence...

I'd be more accepting if this were a member of our group going, and inviting us to join them... at least then it'd be tied in to the group and not some randome posting of something happening in our area...

7. Lord_Robert

Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2005
    Your both right.

The post as is is spam.
    You should have some loyalties to other groups that want you group involved with events. However, they did not ask you to join them or help them. They're just spamming an event. They should at lest let you in for free if you wear a costume.

8. AKalel

AKalel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    Now I know some might say I am out of turn with this reply but in someways I do not see any harm in a post like this. A little while ago I posted a message re a group I am involved with and was warned (for lack of a better term) not to. I think posts re things or events that are science fiction or fantasy related should be allowed as long as they meet a set of guidelines such as not forcing any interested parties having to choose between being a member here and not there, forcing them to do something they are not comfortable with or some other guidelines that are mentioned/posted. I know when it comes to my group if a person is looking for people or something that I cannot help them with if I can I refer it to them after all it is my thought ultimately a) we are trying to help fandom and b) if a person has more then one source or group that satisfies what they need why not. In early stages here I did do what some people equated to spamming because I posted it everywhere including multiple times in same area/website but for me I did not do that as spamming but in case a person visited one area and not another area. Since then I have posted replies to non fandom things and have tried to provide information that some might find helpful/useful it is my hope that people would do if things were reversed.

9. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    There is a world of difference between pimping a related topic here and only being here to pimp said topic. Say I came along to suggest such an event. I am a member who participates, who helps out and is involved in this group. As such its not really spam, its me trying to raise awareness of something that people of this group might be interested in.

However, when someone joins the board system and the first thing they do is advertise such an event without having a relationship with the group or previously been an active member, there purpose appears to be solely to advertise the group. If they have no interest in doing anything but talk about another activity then it becomes spam.

I have no issue with someone talking about another group. God knows there is lots of mention of 501st or Rebel Legion activity here. But the talk generally comes from people involved in this group.

Bottomline this is a fanforce board. If your purpose here is to do anything other than participate in fanforce than this is not the place for you. Idle chat from members is cool, but when you're posting history is dominated by pimping another group it would seem that your interest here isn't fanforce but advertising.

I understand the enthusiasm about trying to get the word out there about something you are involved in, but you don't see me using this board system to pimp my movies or other unrelated events.

At least that's my $0.02.

10. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Spiderfan tagged it for me...

11. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    In any event... is anyone going?... I have friends that'll be there... I just can't myself... though I would have liked to...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.