main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 - YARD HOUSE PASADENA, 5 PM

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Those do look tasty! Funny how they list everything BUT their choice of beers -- but they DO serve a "blue tarantula!"[face_mischief] And my padawan will be happy because they actually care enough to offer a salad amongst the choice of sides on the kid's menu. [face_dancing]

2. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I just saw the menu also, the drinks are looking pretty good. That pepper jack burger sounds delicious also. What movie thearters are around there? I remember only an indie thearter I went to one time with this girl. The movie was good, but she was boring.

3. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    There's a Pacific Theater complex right there at Paseo Colorado. Here is the link if you want to see what is playing tomorrow: Pacific Theaters

4. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Not that it matters too much, but I won't be around for a movie afterward. What would anyone want to see anyway?

5. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    HAVE FUN and let me know if DW shows up!
    (Still in Las Vegas...)

6. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Please remember to bring something to write with as I didn't think to get anything like that.

7. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Padawans are not coming -- still waiting for confirmation on our SW guests (forgot to remind them until an hour ago [face_blush]). I will have a pen or two that I won't need! If I remember, I'll grab more...

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Great evening, guys! So nice to meet folks from the IE FF!

Wonderful trivia contest (thanks, SR), too. Thanks to everyone that came out -- it was a very fun evening!

9. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Just got home from a really fun time. Thanks for making us part of the family.

SR, you did a great job on the quiz! It was quite a surprise. Wasn't expecting anything like that. Had a lot of fun trying to figure it all out.

Whoever thought of the Cold Stone idea, thank you! That was really yummy!

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    in general concurrance, SR, that quiz was great

and a fun time, too

11. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Thank you for putting up with us. It was great meeting lots of new people. :)

12. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    The DH familia had a wonderful time last night. What a quiz! That was definitely a brain twister compared to the ones we have had in the past. Thanks SR! And then there was an embarrassment of wealth when it came to prizes. SR is da man! [face_cowboy]

It was great to see so many familiar faces and to meet new ones also. I should have gotten screen names to associate to the "real ones". That will come in time. I hope to see all of you again real soon.

Thanks VK for organizing it! It was another successful function. YEAH LAFF! [face_dancing]

13. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Hello LAFF!

Here is the official run down of events.

Attendees:
    ValedaKor
    NaboosPrincess plus guest who I didn't get to meet
    Jundland Jay
    JediRacer plus guest
    Darth Haskett plus two
    JediBith plus one
    Lowbacca
    Sol_Jedi
    Anneke
    and me Skyryder

Plus five members of the Inland Empire Fan Force
    Sorry I don't know your screen names all but JediFan77

We arrived at the Yard House at five and were seated at two large booths. It made talking to your neighbor at the other table difficult but I do hope everyone got to mingle a bit.

Everyone will have to fill in what was talked about if there was anything really important to note. I mainly talked about relationships.

The food was delicious. I could have just survived on the appitizers though. So many to choose from and all so good. I know it's a place for beer so I tried the Bottington's on JBs suggestion. It wasn't good at first as I really don't like that sort of drink, but it got better with time. I loved the tower of onion rings and the egg rolls were good too, though they really didn't taste like any egg roll I had ever eaten before. The other table must have pre tipped their waiter because they were finished eating their main coarse before we were even served our appitizers.

After dinner, it was time for the Quiz. Now, I didn't mean for it to be hard. Really I didn't. In fact if you read Star Wars.com you would have found most of the questions as I got them from there plus a few added in of my own. I just changed the wording. Here is the quiz for those who missed the event and would like to play at home.

Star Wars Quiz

Then and Now

1. Multiplying Dewbacks: In 1977 while the Sandtroopers were searching the Tatooine Desert for the two droids there was only one Dewback on the horizon. How many are there now?

2. What new creature appears tossing off a Jawa in the city of Mos Eisley in the 2004 DVD but who does not appear in the 1977 movie?

3. In 1977 Star Wars was the number one movie of the year in ticket sales, what movie so far this year holds that title? (According to Box Office Mojo.com)

4. What Rod Stewart hit was the number one song of 1977? (According to Billboard.com)
    a. Tonight?s the Night
    b. Maggie May
    c. Da Ya Think I?m Sexy
    d. Downtown Train

5. Who was the President of the United States when Star Wars opened in 1977?

6. What popular children?s TV show staring Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno ended its six year run in April of 1977? Hey You Guys this one?s easy.

7. Don?t hold a grudge against this actress born April 14th was just a few days old when Star Wars opened; she soon found her way to the fictional town of Sunnydale.

8. This king?s death in August of 1977 was a national media event.

9. This popular video game console made its debut in October of 1977.

10. Two days before Star Wars opened in 1977 scientist reported using bacteria to make this hormone that regulates carbohydrate metabolism in the body.

11. The character Ketwol replaced this ?Hyena-Man? character in the 2004 version of Star Wars. What was the replaced Shistavanen?s name?

12. In 1977, the text on the display panel of the Death Star?s tractor beam was in what language?

13. At the Rebel base on Yavin, Luke has a conversation with Biggs and this character. Name this character? This scene was reinserted for the 1997 Special Edition of the film, but can?t be found on the original version.

14. This sitcom staring Joyce DeWitt and company had its debut on ABC in March of 1977.

15. This space probe was launched by NASA in September 1977 with its mission to observe the planets Jupiter and Saturn it is expected to continue its interstellar missions until 2020.

16. Lake Placid, NY was the site of this winter event in 1980.

17. Who was the President of the United States in 1980 when Empire Strikes Back opened?

18. In 1980, this prime time soap received national attention with its plot centering on the attempted murder of its lead character.

19. On December 8th 1980 John Lennon wa

14. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Great report, SR -- and at least the group shot turned out well! :D

Sorry I didn't get to mingle more with the newer folk -- I think bowling might be more conducive to that. Even with the two booths, due to the football game that place was pretty loud! The food was excellent although I'll be eating on that turkey pot pie for the next week! To be fair, Mr. DH warned me about it ahead of time. I wish I'd seen the 2nd page of the quiz -- I think I actually would have had a decent score this time! Anyway, SR always makes such cool quizzes -- thanks! Can't wait for our next get-together

(and, note to self: wear your LAFF shirt! Those IEFFers looked so cool!)
    If you still need an LAFF shirt...If you order tomorrow, I should have black shirts available -- I just need to edit the art.

15. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I had a blast with you guys as usual! I am amazed at how much JR knows about 80's trivia. And although I did get the Hitchcock answer, I am ashamed that I forgot the Reagan wasn't even elected until November of that year. We still had a few more months of everyone's favorite astrophysicist peanut farmer. All in all, a fantastic quiz by Skyryder! Kudos!

It was great seeing the Evil Empire from the inland as well! Sorry I couldn't get you to know you guys better. Perhaps we'll have more joint events in the future.

Well I suppose with over 40 beers on tap I should have tried something different, but I ended up with my usual Bass and Killian's. Next tim I promise to be more adventurous! I also think the appetizers were great, certainly more intersting than the entrees were. Note to self: firecracker sauce should make me expect something really, really hot! Well, it was a good excuse to down another Killians.

Helen, thanks for arranging such a great event. It was really great to have a normal meeting after so much time.

16. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I had an awesome time at the meeting! Thanks to SR for the awesome prizes. I can't believe I won the awesome trivia contest! I guess my mind is full of awesome useless information (not that useless in some cases). ..and no, I didn't cheat. My wife is from Japan, and is not very familiar with US history or US pop-culture, so she didn't know any of the answers on the quiz. It was nice to be in Pasadena again.

17. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Oh wow, there is no way I would've done well on that quiz! Too much pop culture from before I was around to know about pop culture. :p Anyway, fun meeting, great location, it was great to see everyone again!

18. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Black and dark red shirts are now available! They look amazing; I'm getting one of each! Click on the link in my post above -- and remember these are sold at cost, no profit is being made.

19. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Here is the link to the pix I took last night. Of course, there are a few extra of just the IEFF... and possibily a few that I "borrowed" from you SR.

I think all of us Evil Impire folks had a great time. Thanks for having us.

Jedifan77
    Darth_Haggis
    HanChewie
    Mr. HanChewie
    Delta 1138

20. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    please post answers to Trivia. I would have got like 5 right.

I had to fly out of LAX at 3:30 PM, just missed it. Sounds like a fun time.

Bottingtons- good beer, good call JB.

See you.

21. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    That would be me... ;)

It was nice meeting alot of you guys!

:)

-I_H

22. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Had a good time. Woke up late, but my only gripe was the sales tax issue, as VK and Anneke were also. JJ and JF, loved the conversation, it's always good to talk about things with people you can get good advise from. VK thanks for planning a fun evening. I was surprised to have won something with that trivia.

23. vampireanneke

vampireanneke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2002
    The 'tax' was 10%, and then we had gratuite of 17% on top of that. Yuck! So food was expensive! Then you had to pay atleast $2 if not $4 or $6 to get out of the parking lot. I also didn't particularly like that we couldn't talk to everyone. For the next time, I don't care where we have it but some place cheaper and where we can have a side room to ourselves and hear each other would be nice. Dennys, Cocos and other such resturants, while not the best food, are much nicer in regards to having a 'meeting' at. I also vollenteer to do trivia at the next thing as I have a bunch of SW 'stuff' to get rid of.

-Anneke

24. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm totally miserable that I couldn't make this one! I was really looking forward to it!

So, is the next group dinner going to be on the west side of L.A.? If so, I will do more looking around. I think our best bet for a big group might be an ethnic restaurant. To the best of my recollection, King Fu, El Torito, El Cholo, Jia Jiang and Natalee Thai all have big tables &/or back rooms for large parties. The parking at some of these places is great and at others, not so much.

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    VK2, if you'd have time to do some checking, that would be great! We've got the Oktoberfest coming up next month, but really, nothing is cast in stone. Maybe something later in the month?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.