main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Savage Opress

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Just be sure to black out the spoliers for us spoiler-free squares. ;)

2. TheFiffis

TheFiffis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2010
    Please. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to be spoiler-free, but I would rather have the choice than just be bombarded with spoilers.

Would it have killed them to do a showing of the episode in Orlando? Seriously. They can have a SW ride in Orlando. They can have SW weekends in Orlando. They can have Celebration V in Orlando. But they can't show a single friggin' episode of Clone Wars in Orlando? What's up with that?

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Don't worry. If it's 3-4 episodes, it really will take forever for them to air these, so I'll try not to ruin everybody's experience...

Of course, as I noted earlier, the LA event starts in a mere 2 hours. Someone may beat me to it.

4. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Just got back from the LA screening wow they went all out for us! Filoni was there as was Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter, James Arnold Taylor, Ashely Eckstein, Catherine Taber, Nika Futterman, Ian Abercrombie, the guy who voices Savage (sorry forgot his name) and the writer Katie Lucas! I'm not going to spoil storywise but seeing what they can do now with the lightsaber battles, the way the characters move, walk and run, and in practically their EP3 costumes, it was awesome!

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    How long was the event? Do you have any idea about how many "episodes" they were estimated to show?

Can't wait to see it.

6. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    There were 3 episodes maybe 4. I think three with some extended time. It felt like it was 80 minutes long.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    And Savage was not Ventress isn't that so?o_O

Hilarious misunderstanding that was[face_laugh]

8. TheFiffis

TheFiffis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2010
    Oh that wacky speculation.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well even for those who want to be spoilerfree these pics should tell something: Savage screening one of them shows Ventress and Savage aparto_O .... i try to avoid big spoilers but i already saw that -ok check the other thread if you need to know- i was spoiled- so -who were right about voptress theory?[face_whistling]

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hey y'all... I figure I should probably place a big angry premeditated warning in here that ALL SAVAGE-RELATED SPOILERS FROM THE RECENT THEATRICAL SCREENING BELONG IN THIS DESIGNATED THREAD.

Or there will be tears and we will have to move your posts and stuff. We've got the spoiler post moving van all set up. Beware. It will be used without mercy.

This rule will probably be in place for the next few weeks.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well ok... but this thread is "spoilers allowed"-thread and i still used black box to be careful but i'm not going to tell that .... you checked this didn't you :p anymore in this thread:D

12. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    We are altering the rules. Pray we don't alter them any further. [face_devil]

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I hope they don't kill off Opress after three episodes. It'll be another waste like Maul.

14. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    They won't. It ends with Savage on a quest. It would be really weird to say "oh no, he just died, never mind." So I wouldn't worry. I still think he'll turn back to the good side but probably at the expense of his life.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The reason we altered the rules for the Randy Savage screenings is because it's unprecedented in TCW history that a select few people would be able to see 3 entire episodes before anyone else.

It's great that you're using the black highlight system in general though.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Maul Quest" would make a great 90s game title.

17. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    That's cool someone is considerate of others enough to hide the spoilers.

Thank you. :cool:

18. Fat_Rancor_Keeper

Fat_Rancor_Keeper Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2010
    whoa....so I just finished viewing the savage trilogy. Awesome stuff. I am impressed with the level of depth the writers gave the character. Initially he seemed to be a simple cash-in on Darth maul's popularity, but to me he's a lot more than that. Although that's not to say GL wont be able to sell a ton of Savage Opress toys, statues, t-shirts...etc...;)

19. powerforce135

powerforce135 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2011
    Savage Opress is a good character and for the fans of Darth Maul it will make sence using another one of his species so people would get a feel for what Maul could do.

20. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Not sure if this is just me, but with all the hype and last week's kickoff of the Maul arc, I've become increasingly aware of just how much I'm starting to hate Savage Opress. I used to love the character, but I now realize that any positive feelings I ever had for this character were merely a manifestation of how much I wished it were Darth Maul in the show, instead. IMO, it feels rather like Savage was just a placeholder for Darth Maul, like Dave was thinking, "Hey guys, we're all fanboys who love Darth Maul, but Maul is dead... So let's put in a guy who looks like him, uses a saber staff just like him, and call him Maul's brother, just so we can feel some sort of connection to our favorite old red-tattooed Sith Lord."

...And then, after they began writing the episodes with Savage, then George says he wants to have Maul HIMSELF come back, via the show. So Dave and co. just figure out a way to have both characters, so their work on Savage wasn't a waste. That's just my personal theory as to how things went down, but it really bugs the heck out of me. I realize now that I only ever liked Savage, because he was my "Clone Wars" version of Maul... Now that there IS a Clone Wars Maul, I find myself wishing I could just discard Savage and that whole plot from Season 3. I realize I may be in a minority here, as I know many of you loathe Maul's return, but I just can't help but feel that, regardless of how/why Maul came back... At least he's actually MAUL. Savage is just a little-trained brute who IMO doesn't deserve to be the brother of such a great Sith Lord. Just my two cents.

P.S. If I were Maul, I'd be super upset to find my inexperienced brother wielding a double-bladed saber, and then handing me only HALF of one... Savage's lightsaber would do much better in Maul's experienced hands, especially in a climactic rematch against a Jedi Master, after Maul has been out of practice for so many years!

21. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    No, it's not just you. They even admitted as much when they introduced the character. 'People loved Maul. It's a shame he died.', etc.

He became a total clone the moment they gave him the double-bladed. :rolleyes: How can people say he's a 'good character'?

See, this is what I hate about Opress/Maul etc. It's just garbage. A total sell-out. Shameless catering to the fanboys. Pathetic and embarrassing. [face_frustrated]

22. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Badass Zabrak is badass. :cool:

23. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Badass Zabrak is lamest clone ever.

24. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I absolutely hated the idea of Savage from the get-go. There's no doubt he was created as a replacement for Darth Maul, since they couldn't possibly bring him back from that definite death in Ep1. Giving him a double-bladed lightsaber was total overkill.

And yet, somehow, I quite enjoyed him in the Nightsisters arc. Apart from the ridiculous "instant Sith Lord" gimmick they used, he actually turned out to be an interesting character, with a tragic story. There was a lot of pathos to his tale of manipulation from the Nightsisters, abuse by Dooku and finally him breaking his shackles (somehow). So, in spite of SEVERE problems with the character's conception, it seemed that they had managed to actually come up with something worthwhile there...

And then they decided to bring back Maul.

And from what we saw in Brothers, the character of Savage went down the drain. He's now a spoiled, whiny brat whose only purpose is to bring forth the second coming of the mighty Maul. I sincerely hope they handle him better in Revenge, but I'm not counting on it.

25. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    It would seem that way, but don't forget that Maul appeared for the first time at the end of Opress' introduction arc. That's where Talzin sends him on a quest to go find his brother. So it looks like the plan to revive Maul was there from the get-go.

You could also say they left it kind of ambiguous at first. Or maybe they tacked that last scene on later in the production process, as an after-thought. Who knows?

If they did plan on bringing Maul back right from the start, then why did they create Opress like a yellow clone? Could it really be that they simply thought:

"What's more awesome than a dead Darth Maul? TWO Darth Mauls"?