main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Savage Opress

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I know this is a little off-topic but anyone else find it stupid in the last part of the arc when Obi Wan says

"Dathomir the planet of the witches? Begging your pardon master but I was under the impression that Maul's homeworld was Iridonia?"
    "Dathomir was where Maul was raised Irodionia is where the rest of the spieces dwell"

Thank you for clearing that matter up in some expositionary dialogue......what about how the Jedi know Maul's name?

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    No idea. They'd probably explain it that maybe Kenobi is assuming since he was a Zabrak he must've came from Iridonia. How they figured he was from Dathomir or his name is where it gets mucky. I guess red, yellow & orange skinned Zabrak only come from Dathomir while tan or brown skinned ones come from Iridonia. Seems ones like Eeth Koth, Agen Kolar and Sugi all look related to the same race or sub-species while Maul and his kin do not, not sure how accurate that is but thats whats left on TCW/films, impression wise to me. I know Marvel some Zabrak slaves appeared more akin to Dathomir types.

Even if they learned it from the Neimoidians, it does not explain how Darth Sidious' name would've been omitted or such a surprise by the time of it being divulged which apparently only came by Count Dooku to Kenobi - was as if the Nemoidian leader ran off & surrender directly to Dooku right after the Naboo debacle and not to Padme or Naboo or the Jedi/Republic. The Jedi's dialogue is weird as always, why Yoda would hold back Windu and agree with Kenobi who was defeated even after attempting to use the Dark Side for added strength, he almost got killed in whether or not he used the Dark Side or not. Unlike Rey or Luke, tapping into the Dark Side did not stop Maul like it did Kylo or Vader. Maul defeated and killed Jinn who was like the best of the best of the Jedi rivaling even Yoda - they had no idea what Maul was doing for 11-12 years either. He could've been active for these 11-12 years creating the war or for all they knew he could've been the Sith Master like they questioned at the end of the TPM. Yoda somehow senses that Ventress would see the bounty and somehow she tracks him to that planet. All this coincides with Maul's direct line to the Jedi Temple transmission to challenge Kenobi to a duel. Its also odd that Yoda senses Maul's return from the dead even before Sidious.

One of the shortcomings of the TCW, was that it negated a large chuck of SW history set between TPM and AOTC. Maul ending up fending for his life on Lotho Minor which is a story within itself even, he had no access to the Infiltrator, that ship apparently was auto piloted off Naboo as soon as Maul fell in battle, which is strange for a few reasons even if Sidious is of course a rotten scumbag . While Vader benefited from Sidious not wanting to repeat the mistake he made abandoning a wounded or near dead Apprentice because of Maul - I think Maul's story makes him even more compelling & stronger character even in a survival of the fittest narrative & setting. As he had to survive all on his own with apparently no provisions or aid of any kind .He literally survived & cheated death not just the initial wound but the aftermath, the horror and survivalist life on Lotho Minor which was literately a hostile hell & inferno. Maul apparently bandaged himself as you see bandages of some kind, so we know he worked on his wounds before he went Insane which had to occur over time not immediately. He used the Force to build a spider-like walking apparatus to cope with the terrain he lived on, plus he I think he took that form to scare and intimidate the locals. Plus that Dark Side insanity might just have saved his life in another manner, because it put him in a survivalist and animalistic feral state of being . He adapted to his environment which is natural selection.

Our only real insight into what Maul would've been is really looking at the pre-transformed Savage Opress. Maul breaks from the Sith way, in genuiny caring for his brother which is similar to Savage and Feral. The freshly resurrected Maul and freshly transformed Savage both strike out at their brothers in basically the same manner, full of hate, full of the Dark Side. But its reversed, Maul starts off hating, to loving his brother, while Savage started off loving his brother to hating.

Going back to the Nightbrothers, all their names or nicknames and warrior culture, all paint a picture of Maul, the traits and characteristics he embodies and that includes a certain type of warrior honor. I would like to know Maul's real name, he does have one but they never publicly released it. Dathomir seems interesting, even as a Dark Side planet. All the Sith-like names used by the Nightbrothers are rather interesting. Did Sidious even name Maul like he did Vader. We simply do not know yet. Or even what was Darth Plagueis' relationship to Talzin, if any. Sidious choosing an aged old Dathomirian Witch as apparently his first apprentice or partner, is not quite clear, but apparently both of them traded eachother's disciplines and knowledge to both gain further power.

Savage non-transformed was an interesting character as where the Nightbrothers, but they seemed just there as a plot devise to push Katie's Nightsisters and Ventress, and later some for Maul. I did like the scenes in SOD, when the Nightbrothers hold Dooku until Maul arrived. They knew they had no chance but did their job as warriors and soldiers in holding the Sith Lord long enough for Maul's trap to work. Unfortunately at the end of the comic things are rushed , would've liked to have seen them in action but they would've died like the Nightsisters as they fought with melee weapons primarily and lacked high tech and modernized weaponry. And we never even learn of what happened to Brother Viscus, will he appear in Rebels?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No he doesn't. He was in like, 2 episodes 5 years ago and then he died. Discussion of him can fit in right here. ;)

And yes, it's been explained a few times that the Jedi and probably some members of the Republic government learned Maul's name during the trials against Nute and his cronies. It's also been explained that either they were too scared ****less to mention Sidious, or they mentioned him and no one cared or believed them.

4. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    [​IMG]
    O.k. one s is missing but it is still a valuable fan tribute, I hope. :)

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They probably should've left this in:

4. The recent Star Wars Rebels episode “Twin Suns” was originally 35 minutes long. Showrunners were forced to leave extraneous scenes on the cutting room floor, choosing to pare down the lead up to the final duel between Maul and Obi-wan Kenobi with a tight focus on Ezra’s journey on Tatooine. “I kept as much [Sam] Witwer as I could because Sam will call me,” Filoni joked. That meant some scenes with Kanan and Hera were on the chopping block. The audience groaned. “Not like that, like you want,” Filoni said. “It was about their side of the family. And Zeb was there, too.”

To fit the essentials into 21 minutes, Filoni also ditched plans to include hauntings from Maul’s past on his journey, like a vision of Satine and an apparition of Savage. The Nightbrother even made it to the design phase before Filoni thought better of it. In an already lengthy episode, time couldn’t be spared to explain Savage’s origins and creators couldn’t risk alienating new fans who would be confused by his sudden appearance. “This is going to sound strange, but no one’s going to know who this is,” Filoni said. “If Rebels is all you know…You can’t take for granted that people know what it is.”

“This episode is so stripped down,” Hidalgo said, but by eliminating the nonessentials, it made the core story even stronger.

https://www.starwars.com/news/swco-...s-animated-origins-and-unexpected-fates-panel

Master_Rebado likes this.
  6. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    "By eliminating the nonessentials, it made the core story even stronger."

Yeah, because seeing Ezra and Chopper **** around in the desert for 15 minutes was a better use of that time. All for Obi-Wan to basically tell Ezra he has no business being in this story. (Ezra had no business being in a lot of stories if we're being honest.)

Also they never explained why Maul had pieces of the Sith holocron. Did he really take the time to pick them up during the three second period that everyone was stunned from the holocron explosion?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Sudooku and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    A vision of Savage I could understand, but Satine? If anything, I think it would've been a poignant tribute if Obi-Wan had a vision of Satine. I'd have liked that.

Sudooku likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I liked this arc in TCW quite a bit, but talk about one of the stupidest names in Star Wars. Savage Oppress? Come on. What was the runner up? Evil Domination?

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  9. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Evil Domination wouldn't rhyme with "Asajj Ventress", so I don't think they would have gone with it.

More seriously, I don't understand why they didn't go with the "Savajj" spelling, seeing how it's pronounced and how obviously they wanted it to sound like "Asajj Ventress", probably to hammer in the idea that, yes, she did come from Dathomir and her name is very much one of Nightsisters origin.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    All of the beings from Dathomir didn't have names that sounded like Asajj of course.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    On Earth, everyone’s name rhymes with John Smith. Same thing on Dathomir with Asajj Ventress.

12. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Because Savajj is already the name of the couple of Savage and Asajj for those who ship them.
    LOL! Where is the Sarc-Tag in your post? Yesterday I read a really boring C-3PO/R2 conversation in NJO, which I'll skip definitely when reading this for my children.