main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Savage Opress

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    He sounds like a horse...

2. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    It seems to me like they may have made Savage be Maul's brother to act as a starting point for the character - ie if you already know about Maul then that gives you some information already about what his brother may be like. But it is by no means certain at this point that Savage will just be 'Maul Take Two' because there could be some considerable differences between them. Firstly, it is not certain what their exact relationship is and whether they ever actually lived together as family members. Since Maul must have been in Sith training for a long time, he and Savage may not have been together much. Then it is not known what their relationship was like - were they close, or were they rivals who may have hated each other?

Also, Maul's Force abilities and skills were shaped by his Sith training and his learning to fight Jedi. Savage has not had that yet and so may have different characteristics and a different ethos as a warrior. So Dooku may try and turn him into a new Maul, but it is unknown how he will turn out. He may turn against that if he realises that he does not want to be on that side.

If he's evil and want to be evil then he may well turn out to be another Maul - although I would say that he could still be quite different. As an apprentice he will probably be used in a different way to Maul. Maul was a single apprentice used by Sidious as a weapon against the Jedi. Savage though is going to be an apprentice to an apprentice - Dooku - and is going to be a part of the game that Sidious is playing against Dooku and Ventress, and seemingly that Ventress is playing against Dooku. Savage may not want to be part of that and if he has honour he may turn against being a 'bad guy' altogether.

I think that essentially, bringing in Savage as Maul's brother is a way of introducing him as a somewhat known quantity. You could say that he could have just been written as any old Zabrak warrior, but I feel that having him as Maul's brother raises more expectation that he will indeed actually be like Maul.

However, I think that even if he is like Maul, the demands of the story will throw up differences. Maul had a role simply as a killer who would fight the Jedi. There will likely be more story involving Savage as a character in TCW though and so they may not end up seeming too similar. You could look at Ventress and say that she was conceived as being quite Maul-like as an apprentice, so why didn't they try and come up with a new type of character as a villain? However, the more Ventress is involved, the more she can be her own character. She was introduced a certain way so the viewer would know what to expect from such a warrior, and then she did more later on. And that could be the same as Savage. He will be introduced as Maul's brother, and be quite like like him probably, yet as he is involved in more of the story he may become different.

Of course, such things depend on the content of the stories and the role Savage plays in them, but I think he may have more in depth stuff to do than Maul, and so may end up being his own character, away from his simplistic origin as 'Maul's brother'. That's just a starting point, designed to draw people in - and provoke discussion as we see here.

So I'm thinking "Maul's brother turns out to be just like Maul" doesn't sound too likely as a story - especially as there's is also Grievous as a Jedi-killer. More likely would be "Maul's brother starts off like Maul and then some other stuff happens". But we shall have to wait and see what that stuff is.

Sudooku likes this.
  3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Love the Sister's robes in that video. A little Carnage-esque, if you ask me.

Nice that they used the Emperor's theme or whatever it's called, can't wait to hear some actual JW action in the score.

4. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I have a feeling that he'll be a one-story-arc character. The witch thing sounds awesome to me frankly. They don't use the force, right? But they have some sort of power...

5. melkor834

Oct 24, 2009
    Yeah according to Lucas they don't really use the force. However, in the EU they do. What I think GL is saying is that they don't use the force in the way Jedi/Sith due but use it to gain diffrent sets of powers.

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    To be honest, that doesn't make any sense. The Force is the Force. Nightsisters are Force-sensitive beings that use the Force, but saying "they don't use it the same way the Jedi or the Sith do" is strange. Nightsisters support the dark side of the Force, much like the Sith and other dark side organizations. If they said, the nightsisters use the dark side, but don't use it the same way the Sith does, in terms of powers and dealing with emotions, ect, then that would make sense. Otherwise, it's confusing.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Seconded.

8. melkor834

Oct 24, 2009
    What doesn't make any sense? My explanation or what they said? If the latter I agree. If the former, what I meant to say is that I think Filoni was trying to say that they don't use the dark side in the same way the Sith do. For example, they won't be using the force to shoot lightning if choke people but instead use it in diffrent ways such as turning invisible.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No. :oops:
    In CV, from my understanding what the were trying to say, they said the nightsisters don't use the Force the same way as the Jedi or Sith, which is what I have said above. So neither they use the light or dark side is what they are trying to tell me, they're just Force-sensitives.

10. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I am hoping that Savage doesn't take to serving Dooku and the Night Sisters and betrays them both. Sort of becomes a man of his own... His race is oppressed (I know,I know) by the Night Sisters if what Lucas said is true.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I've never seen a Sith weave a spell with the Force. There, that's how they're different.

12. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yossarian, I always appreciate your positive-thinking posts. You may be right, and I hope you're right, that Randy Savage may end up an interesting character, not just a Maul-carbon copy. It doesn't look this way... but it's possible. However, I do like to get all the criticism and bile out there as early as possible. This way I have time to get used to whatever lame thing might be coming my way, and I increase my chances of being pleasanlty surprised that the thing didn't turn out to be as bad as I feared. It was like that with the Zillo Beast. When I first heard "Star Wars Godzilla", I went :oops:, and criticized the hell out of it. However the episodes turned out ok and Zillo was an interesting addition. Not that I ended up loving it or anything, and the design still irks me, but at least I was able to enjoy the whole thing a lot more than if it had caught me by surprise or if I had had high expectations regarding it.

Regarding the Nightsisters' powers. What's established in the EU is that they do use the Force, though in a very different way than the Jedi. They use it like witchcraft, which is what I think George was referring to. They don't tap into this energy like the Jedi and Sith do, through meditation and such, but through the chanting of spells. Dathomir Magic, as it's called, is just an alternate route to manipulate the Force. We can see in the trailer how it works differently, with that group of witches supposedly healing Ventress. She's floating in the air, blue energy flying around. If it were a Jedi doing that, you wouldn't get quite that spectacle. The Jedi would probably just kneel beside the injured person, touching his forehad and concentrating.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, I think the point is going to be that other races in the galaxy probably have certain abilities, magical or otherwise, that in reality use the Force, though they wouldn't think of it like that.

14. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Where is it confirmed that Savage Oppress is Darth Maul's brother? The witch says "what if I can get you another of his (Maul's) kind". (paraphrasing the quote from the trailer).

15. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    George Lucas stated it flat out during his panel in C5. You can find the clip floating on youtube.

16. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    The word "brother" can have different connotations. Like the show: "Band of Brothers" or Obi-Wan yelling, "You were my brother, Anakin!"

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I know, and until I saw the clip I was holding out hope that the brother thing only meant "Maul-like". But after you see the clip there can be no doubt that Randy is Maul's biological brother (or at least that's what George thinks or wants you to think).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fniKm9hy7U&feature=related
    5 minutes in

18. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    The Force runs strong in the Maul family. He had it. His brother has it...and his brother has it...and his...

Sudooku likes this.
  19. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Cousin twice removed, with zebra coloured Sith tattooes has it

20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm fighting it BIGtime.
    Don't.click.the.link....

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I think I'm forever going to think of him as "Steeler Dude", as his coloration was based on the Steeler's. :oops:

Well, it could have been worse :p

22. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    What? He's Darth Goldie?!!

...I can't believe he was given the same paint scheme as Stubby. This character just keeps getting better and better....

23. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep. Black and gold so that kids can easily distinguish him from Maul's black and red.

The bit about it being based off the Steeler's colors is direct from the mouth of Dave Filoni (twice, actually, that I heard it, and probably a couple more times in panels I wasn't at)

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, same as Anakin's traitor droid.

That's it, for me he's Darth Goldie from now on.

25. WinterSnowblind

WinterSnowblind Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2010
    I was quite skeptical at first, but his reveal in the new trailer was done pretty well. He seems quite imposing, and almost the direct opposite of Ventress. I like the idea of Dooku having a lot of different apprentices like this.. Though I could see Oppress not being a jedi at all.

It'll be nice to see some more of Ventress' story as well, that was something I was hoping for, but it'd be a shame if they outright kill her off.

Sudooku likes this.