main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

save the white figures!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by AnakinMoonwalker, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinMoonwalker

AnakinMoonwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    does anyone know a good way to display white action figures without them turning yellow

2. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I have never had that problem. My best guess would be to keep them out of the sunlight.

3. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    The only time I've had this problem is when they get old. And time is something you have no control over.

4. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    All of my White figures are still white this includes all my Vintage figures I bought when I was a Kid, Sunlight is the key.
    Don't let direct Sunlight hit your figures on a day to day basis.Don't even let strong reflected Sunlight hit your figures regulary.

The only figures of mine that have yellowed where ones given to me secondhand. One Snow trooper I had to remove a layer or 2 of Liquid paper.

5. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    I have not had any problems with my vintage figures but I want them to be safe.

would light from a light bulb hurt them

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Keep them out of a smoke free environment. That's what I read.

7. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    Thats fine with me

8. Akebono

Akebono Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2002
    Florescent lights will cause your stuff to discolor as well.

9. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    So does that include a light bulb?

10. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Yes! Keep them away from all light - especially figures that have cloth in them as light will break down the fibers.

11. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    So I should not display my vintage action figures :(

12. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    Display them if you want. If you're proud of your toys, display them no matter what.

13. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Just keep them in a cool, dark, dry place. :)

14. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    No light bulb? Come on. I need to see things in my room.

15. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    There must be a way to display vintage action figures without them being hurt.

16. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The only way to make sure there was absolutely NO damage to them whatso ever would be to lock them in a dark, air tight, climate controlled room. But really, there's not much fun in that.

Free your figures of their plastic bubble and let them populate your home! It's much for fun and less worrysome. :)

17. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    I guess I will display them with pride...
    as they become old...
    I become old...

18. jedidavid

jedidavid Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 11, 2000
    I am almost positive a friend of mine got rid of the yellow by putting them IN the sun shining in his front window. I think it's got something to do with the type of plastic they used. Notice how on some stormtroopers the arms and legs will yellow but the torso doesn't? That's because they used different types of plastic. I believe some figures even yellow on the card, but don't hold me to that. I thinks playing with them probably doesn't help. I imagine the oils from your skin would have an impact.

Keeping them out of direct sunlight makes sense though. I don't know about white, but I do know colors fade in direct sunlight. Regular incandescant bulbs should be allright. I think light of a high intensity, or dimmer light for a long duration ( like spotlights on 24-7) would be a problem.

19. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    My 8D8 figure that has not been opend has slight yellowing on his arms. So figures can yellow even on card.

20. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    My figs are all in the basement :)

21. Jedi_Steve

Jedi_Steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2001
    I keep all of my vintage loose figures in a wood/glass display cabinet in my bedroom, and an open display shelf with all of my modern loose figures on the wall. I keep the curtains closed and the lights off while I am gone at either school or work, and when I'm home I will open one of the curtains to let light in, or I'll have a couple lights on at night....there hasn't been any sign of further discoloration (other than how they were when I aquired them) yet, but I guess only time will tell. I have all my vintage carded figures in boxes in the closet, and I won't display them until I have a room that will only be used for display, with lights on sparingly. There's only so much you can do to preserve your stuff....the elements will eventually get to them. Might as well enjoy em. The only thing I am worried about what I'll do when I go off to college next year :p

-Steve

22. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    2 things turn them yellow... sunlight and smoke so if your a smoker stay away from the figs!

23. AnakinMoonwalker

Oct 23, 2002
    I think you are right jedidavid. sunlight can help figures get rid of yellowing. I left an old stormtrooper figure that was extreamly yellow in my window for a few days (It was prieviosly in a box in my basement)and it seems to be slowely turning white again. I think figure was damaged by cigarette smoke from its prievios owner. So I think that smoke damaged figures can be healed by sunlight.

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "The only way to make sure there was absolutely NO damage to them whatso ever would be to lock them in a dark, air tight, climate controlled room. But really, there's not much fun in that."

Yes! :D

25. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    They are made initially as toys, so they are not made to last. Hasbro expects them to have a limited life time and therefore doesn't make them collector-grade.
    I think it's lame that they can't UV coat the plastic bubble or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.