main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Save Your Energy" A missing scene from ROTS (spoilers/canon/ Obidala angst)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by QuiGonnJenn, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiGonnJenn

QuiGonnJenn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    Another scene, we should have had in ROTS.

"Save Your Energy"
    Fanfic by Qui Gon Jenn

Obi Wan could not understand why Padme was dying. Her injuries had not been that severe. He had used the force to check her before his duel with Anakin and she seemed to be stable. He could not believe what he was hearing from the medi droid hovering next to him now.

?She has lost the will to live.?

?She?s dying?? he said in disbelief.

Nonsense! He thought. Padme Naberrie, Queen and Senator of Naboo, soon to be mother of twins, wasn?t just going to give up on life. She would not loose the will to live. She loved Anakin. That was painful to admit, but he knew that she was a survivor and a fighter. This was a woman who he?d witnessed nearly beat to death a Nexu armed only with a chain. That was not a person who just gave up on life. He thought back a few hours to when he?d first returned to her ship after killing her husband, lover and father of her children. Even then in that black moment, the smell of Anakin?s burning flesh still fresh in his nostrils, her strength had brought peace to a mind wracked with guilt and self-loathing. There was hope in her eyes when she?d asked him if Anakin was all right. Perhaps his inability to answer her made her loose that hope. He would not fail to answer again. He would not let her die.

Padme?s screams of pain stabbed into Obi Wan as he entered the operating room. He walked to the operating table where she lay and put his arms on her shoulders bringing his face down close to her. He reached out in the force with all the strength he had left to muster and concentrated his will into her brown eyes.

?Save your energy, Padme. Hang on to me. Let me help you.?

?Anakin!? Padme screamed so that the hair on Obi Wan?s forehead blew back. Tears poured steadily from her eyes.

?Anakin is gone, Padme. You cannot help him anymore. I cannot help him anymore. Save yourself. You must try.?

?No!? she cried as if reacting to something unseen that wasn?t there. Obi Wan tried to concentrate. It was difficult to meditate with the woman he loved in his arms, dying, but he knew he had to get control of himself to save her. Obi Wan closed his eyes, and blocked out her sobs, reaching out into the force to see what Padme saw.

What he saw paralyzed him with fear. Anakin appeared as a small child, the way he looked when they all had first met him, standing in the harsh Tattoine sun. His shadow became a large and ominous figure, an enormous black monster. The shadow came to life and the little boy disappeared, evaporating into the desert heat. The monster strode forward, his walk bearing the unmistakable mark of a cyborg, more machine than man. This creature, this abomination, was worse than General Grievous because the eyes of his black helmet reflected only darkness. It was a mask of impenetrable evil.

The vision shifted. Anakin appeared as Obi Wan had last seen him, dismembered and charred and lying in operating table being fitted into a robotic suit, with the same horrible black mask that never let in or out any light. He looked into Obi Wan?s eyes and screamed, ?You did this to me!?

Obi Wan felt his legs buckling underneath him, unable to support the weight of his guilt. He grabbed onto the operating table for support and the feel of the solid object brought him back to reality. Something was wrong here, Obi Wan realized. He could sense the Dark Side surrounding them. The hair on the back of his neck stood up as he realized, the terrible vision was being pushed on them from some external source.

?Padme! Listen to me. Do you hear me? It?s Obi Wan.?

?Is it true? Did you create that monster?? she gasped up at him. The look in her eyes would haunt him forever.

?I destroyed his body. His soul was destroyed by Palpatine,? he replied weakly.

?Anakin!? Padme screamed again.

"Padme!" Obi Wan shouted back, shaking her slightly, and she started. A moment later she appeared lucid. ?Obi Wan??

?Listen to me. You have to fight the

2. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Brilliant

"Even then in that black moment, the smell of Anakin?s burning flesh still fresh in his nostrils, her strength had brought peace to a mind wracked with guilt and self-loathing."

What a line!!

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I love the vision that harkened back to those old teaser posters of Anakin with the Vader shadow behind him. I loved Obi-Wan's reflections on why it was so uncharacteristic of Padme to not fight.

4. QuiGonnJenn

Jun 10, 2002
    Thanks I've spent alot of time searching for a rationalization for Padme loosing her will to live. Even though she loved Anakin, she had so much to live for. It didn't sit right with me and I know I'm not the only one. Also I really wnated to have a confrontation between her and Obi Wan, that somehow ended with her forgiveness, even in an indirect way.

5. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    I would agree. I found it an unsatisfactory scene in film and was hoping for some general explanation. An angry exchange would have been nice and you have conveyed the fact that they have both been through so much and seen the 'death' of a loved one very well. Obi-Wan in the film seems very passive to me in this section of the film but you have brought him to life with a couple of cracking lines.

6. QuiGonnJenn

Jun 10, 2002
    Passive is the word indeed! I just couldn't bear the idea of him standing there watching her die and not trying to do more. I know there was a scene cut, because we hear him say "Save Your energy" in the vision that Anakin has. And that part wasn't in the scene at the end. I really hope it's in the DVD. Till, then I hang onto my little fanfic.

7. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    I believe the cut scene consists of the "save your energy" line and "You have twins Padme...they need you, you must hold on."

Then when she dies he looks at the medallion.

Seems a bit weedy to me!

So yours is ten times better. Cheers!

8. QuiGonnJenn

Jun 10, 2002
    The more I think about it, the more I dislike the title of this. Any suggestions, anyone?

9. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    this story proves my point to why Padme REALLY died, sure Anakin choked her, but Obi Wan knew he was all darkside, and that he would be very over zealous, he could have tracked her and got to Anakin a different way. He knew by standing there on that ship he was putting Padme in danger.

so, my theory remains "IT'S ALL OBI WAN'S FAULT! HE'S JEALOUS!"

now, that my rant is done.

this was nicely done. Very emotional, seemed very real, like a deleted scene from the movie, i applaud this effort very much.

10. QuiGonnJenn

Jun 10, 2002
    I don't such an extreme view of Obi Wan's guilt as you Darksideyespelase. And that was not the intention of my story. I think he FEELS guilt, but that is not the same as being guilty. Yes, he could have gotten to Anakin another way, but partly he followed Padme to protect her, because he KNEW what Anakin was capable of. This is a man who has murdered innocent children just to impress his new master.

His standing there on the ramp of the ship was I think partly motivated by his own very complicated feelings. The way Obi Wan acts in that scene, I think there IS more to it than just protectiveness and his duty to kill Anakin. But it is not all Obi Wan's fault. That is ridiculous.

Had Obi not been there, do you think things would have been hunky dory between Padme and Anakin? No, something else would have set him off and sooner or later his wrath would have turned on her with fatal results.

This perhaps is not the place to discuss this further. If you care to we could continue discussing it in the Obi Wan character thread on the resource board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.