main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saving the Star Wars Galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ackbar_Van_Gungan, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    The way I see it, the Star Wars galaxy is heading into territory that will cause more uproar than Palpatine and the Vong combined. I am speaking about the return of the "Sith", the true nature of the Vong, and the prophecy of the Chosen One. Many people think that the return of the Sith will invalidate Anakin's sacrifice or feel that the portrayal of the Yuuzhan Vong some how cheapens the whole threat of Palpatine and his Sith Empire. However, I think that with two revelations everything can be made to fit without hurting anything.

1) The Vong are part of the "Other Sith", the "True Sith", or whatever you call the group that Revan feared.

This group is as powerful as ever in the Unknown Regions and the Vong were their principal shock troops, mutated Kun-style and cut off from the force in order to both hold advantages against Bane's Sith and be less likely to turn on their masters. The Vong seem to appear whenever there is a powerful Sith presence in the galaxy (both when Revan was fighting for power) and (Palpatine was beginning to control the galaxy). The Vong were sent by the OutSith when they learned that Palpatine had taken over and had not arrived until the Jedi had already taken care of their work for them. Vergere was an OutSith. This fixes the Vong by suggesting that only as part of the OutSith are the Vong the great threat they are being made out to be. The Chiss also fear the OutSith, not just the Vong.

2) The Chosen One did bring balance to the Force according to both Sith prophecy and Jedi prophecy.

The prophecy apparently states that the Sith will bring balance to the Force. Now most people feel that Anakin Skywalker was meant to destroy the Sith and eradicate it from the galaxy. They feel that Dark Empire and any other mention of Sith post ROTJ invalidates Anakin's Sacrifice. HOWEVER, Sith prophecy should be revealed to state that the Chosen One would end the Sith schism between the InSith and the OutSith. Palpatine needed Anakin to lead his battle against the OutSith. Ironically, Anakin destroyed the InSith and brought balance to the Force by leaving two opposite groups (OutSith vs. Jedi). This way the both prophecies could be fulfilled. The upcoming Bane novel could easily expose this prophecy. Bane could have known his order was under threat from the OutSith and they needed to stay hidden until the InSith were powerful enough to fight the OutSith or the chosen one was found. Both occured in the PT. While the InSith and the OutSith both existed the Jedi could not hope for ultimate victory.

If these two things come to pass I think that there will be a lot more unity in the Star Wars continuity without having to discredit anyone. The Skywalker Legacy should be that the Jedi are not peacekeepers of the galaxy but instead a military order devoted to fighting the darkside throughout eternity.

-The Rebel Gungan

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It makes sense.

I'm all fine with the Sith coming back, just as long as the story told in the movies (Anakin Skywalker's life) remains the highlight and the turning point for the Star Wars galaxy.

The EU could create an army of Skywalker clones led by the evil ressurected Anakin Solo and I would be fine with it. Just as long as the events in the movies stay at the center of all things, just as long as they stay as the most important events for the galaxy, then I'm fine with it. Just don't let the stories in the movies become less important and pushed to the side as just another piece of galactic history.

This doesn't do that, so I'm happy with it. :D

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Anakin's Prophecy was about defeating Palpatine.

Palpatine was to the Sith as to the Anti-Christ is to evil rulers.

4. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    I don't see how Legacy hurts anything, and I don't think we need crackpot theories to solve problems that don't exist.

5. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    So if the Vong are simply the principal troops of the OutSith in the Unknown regions then why do they have their own culture, hierarchy, and religion that is not related to the teachings of the Sith? Both teachings reside in the dark side (Yes, there is one) but the Vong's culture is distinctly different than that of the Sith. Also, wouldnt the Vong have had Sith overlords with them during the NJO if they were only the troops? Onimi was the Supreme Overlord and controlled the Vong through Shimra, so are you saying that a Sith somewhere controlled him? And didn't the Vong discover the existence of the Sith in one of the NJO books? (Dark Tide maybe?) I don't recall which, but they wondered if there were any Sith left in the galaxy. Wouldn't they already know the fate of the Sith if they were the Sith's servants? I don't see why Revan's true Sith have to be related to the Vong. They are similar, but only in the fact that they apparently come from the unknown regions and threatened the Republic. It seems that we may have to wait for KOTOR3 for the true answer.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would be pretty upset if such a retcon came to pass. It really isn't needed, and creates far more trouble than it solves. Why can't the Vong just be Vong? Why do all evildoers have to be Sith?

7. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think the prophecy is something that will cause a mess in the future. I think it would be cool to bring in "Outsith" again as was mentioned, but I think no matter what is does diminish Anakin's role in the whole saga. Although we are not privvy to all the information in the prophecy, Obi-Wan does shout "It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them." I think that by saying that Obi-Wan was not just coming to his own conclusion about the prophecy, it would appear to me that the prophecy said that the Chosen One would destroy the Sith AND bring balance to the force. The bringing balance to the force is pretty ambiguous. Destroying the Sith is not. If any type of Sith reemerge (Although I don't see how it is possible that they eventually will not) it makes the prophecy false.

Carnage

8. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I agree with Carnage. Anakin was meant to destroy the Sith, which would be the equivalent to pure evil in the GFFA. The only problem is that without evil, where do our stories come from? I think that as long as the return of the Sith is handled well, then I can deal with it. In the back of my mind though it will always cheapen the movies. But then again, when I stop and think that Palpatine only formed the Empire and created the Death Star in preparation for the Vong rather than the fact that he is the most evil being to ever live well....Keeping that fact in mind I can handle the Sith returning a lot better.

9. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    Seems like most people are against this theory but I was just trying to retcon the fact that the Sith are coming back and that does not exactly bode well for the prophecy. Hopefully we will see the prophecy's text or the vision it was based on. As for Obi-Wan's quote is this the text of the prophecy or just his interpretation? I agree that Palpatine was pure evil or very close to it but that doesn't work too well for the whole slowly emerging retconn that everything done was to prepare for the threat that the Vong faced. If Palpatine knew he was going to war with the OutSith and knew he needed a Fleet and a Champion that would fit in my mind a lot better.

And why can't Supreme Overlord Onimi be the Sith leader of the Yuuhzhan Vong. He was the only Yuuzhan Vong that can touch the force. In addition we have the apparent Vong Sith in Legacy and another maruading Vong Force user out in the unknown reasons and I dont see why they couldn't be Sith creations. Their beliefs in biotech seem strangely similar to the work of Exar Kun and it many of the gods could be Sith monsters as well.

And how are the hints throughout the KOTOR games going to fit in with current SW history as we know it? We have gotten hints about the Vong and a greater threat, I believe something about True Sith...

Havac: How does this create far more trouble than it solves? It seems like that with the prophecy there can be no more Sith...Yet it appears we are getting more Sith[face_whistling]

Carnage: The Prophecy will bring cause a mess and it seems like with all of the continuity repairs we have been seeing lately that Lucas & Co. aren't just going to let this discrepancy just hang around;)

JS: I know that if we said the Sith were destroyed we wouldn't have anymore Baddies besides the alien invaders (SSi-Ruuk, Yvetha, Yuuzhan Vong), Imperial Warlords (Thrawn, Grand Admirals, etc.) or Dark Side wannabees (Kyp Durron, Brakiss, Darksisters) but those have all been done. Thats what is so great about the KOTOR games and earlier comics (and books thanks to DB:pOD:ANOTOR), we get some seriously evil guys. Besides Palpatine and Vader, Exar Kun is the best bad guy in Star Wars(or Maybe Thrawn). Lomi Plo was just testing the waters for the coming storm...[face_mischief]

Cyris: You don't see how bringing back the Sith will cause a problem with current G-canon?:eek:

Charlemagne19: I agree that Palpatine was incredibly bad but if anything recent events are making him less and less crazy. Every time it appears that Palpatine was trying to whip the galaxy into shape to fight the Vong, it hurts his image a little bit. If you argue that the ends justify the means than Palpatine is practically a good guy. Dark Empire Palpatine is seen as the darkest Palpatine yet. So either Palpatine isn't the anti-christ of the Star Wars universe or Anakin didn't kill Palpatine, Solo did. (Or Dark Empire was a dream Luke had one night...) [face_thinking]

Darth_Ghost: I think that the movies should be paramount too, don't get me wrong. I agree in theory. I don't mind the Sith coming back, I even look forward to having some seriously powerful seriously evil people. I just want everything to fit together. It's no fun having a mythos where things contradict. I guess we don't need to see them in Luke's era necessarily but we might see them in Cade's era... I don't think that an army of Skywalker clones led by resurrected Anakin Solo is the best idea though. [face_worried]

-The Rebel Gungan

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Charlemagne19: I agree that Palpatine was incredibly bad but if anything recent events are making him less and less crazy. Every time it appears that Palpatine was trying to whip the galaxy into shape to fight the Vong, it hurts his image a little bit. If you argue that the ends justify the means than Palpatine is practically a good guy. Dark Empire Palpatine is seen as the darkest Palpatine yet. So either Palpatine isn't the anti-christ of the Star Wars universe or Anakin didn't kill Palpatine, Solo did. (Or Dark Empire was a dream Luke had one night...)

Meh, Palpatine didn't care one bit.

If he saved a baby from the Vong, its only so he could break its neck. Of course Palpatine knew about the Vong, he was Dark Lord of the Sith. He knew about the Vong so he could probably lead them into the galaxy to maraud and slaughter until he turned the people against them or enslaved the Vong.

The moment they were defeated, he'd probably cut off Thrawn's head and then laugh at the Chiss for being fools to trust him.

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It's like one of my theories - but believable... :p

I could definately see Vong = Sith stuff making an appearance in Legacy of the Force, now that they're allowed to talk about the Sith again... :) :cool: [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

12. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    Charlemagne: I am not saying that Palpatine was a good guy for doing this. He was most certainly evil. However, with the recent plethora of Vong related retcons (I assume you agree that these are certainly happening) it appears that he was spurred into taking over the galaxy by the Vong. If the Vong aren't coming, Palpatine remains in hiding and the most evil being in SW history passes his knowledge on to his apprentice and is eventually killed. (I am not saying that is the case but if his reason for accelerating the takeover of the galaxy was to kill the Vong it seems logical).

Why wouldn't Palpatine let the Vong take over and then kill them? Because they were OutSith warriors, genetically mutated to resist the Force except for their leader and Palpatine needed a massive conventional force to take them on.

There have been so many questions about the Vong raised during NJO and not one of them explained. While the potentium debate still rages, the Jedi don't seem to care that the Vong are outside the known force but inside a larger entity (Vongsense, etc.) It seems like there should be a lot more questions. If anything, seeking Vong answers would definetly open the doors into a multitude of options.

McEwok: My theories are always believable, this one coincides with Palpatine building the Death Star to fight Zonoma Sekot. I'm just waiting until the Death Star novel when we get inside Palpatine's head and it is nothing more than "The Vong and coming!, The Vong are coming!" (Hopefully not!)

This is just an attempt to make the threat of the Vong and Palpatine's apparent fear of them much more rational as well as clarify how Anakin's Chosen One status is unaffected by the Sith that we know are coming in Legacy comics if not sooner.

-The Rebel Gungan

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It creates more problems than it solves because it creates a third layer of intrigue and leadership, invents a shadow threat that's been marauding for 5000 years and is somehow never heard of, takes resolution of the True Sith away from KOTOR III, and unnecessarily complicates the Prophecy and the galactic situation when another, simpler explanation could do it just as well.

14. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    A) Whats wrong with a third layer of intrigue and leadership? We have never really seen things from Palps point of view or any of the Sith Masters...
    B) Bane's order knew about them and would explain why they were hiding for so long. What kind of supremely evil beings just kinda sit around and talk for a millenium
    C) How does it create more problems then it solves. It solves the problem of the prophecy and legitimizes Palpatine's fear of the Vong and besides the fact that the OutSith haven't really been seen for a couple of millenia it doesn't really pose to many problems. The OutSith could just be colonizing planets or have went to another galaxy. If Villips (as Sith sorcery) can instantly transmit data similar to the Ansibles of the Enderverse why couldn't the OutSith have sent their shock troops to invade the galaxy. They are just really far away... and on their way back.
    D) KOTOR III very well could address all of the issues, they could have everything wrap up nicely. Of they could have the main character discover something beyond any of our imagining, something that the main character gets absorbed into, etc. If Lucas & Co. wants to set something like this up, now is the time to do it.

They have

A)Death Star novel (Touches on continuity errors and Palpatine's plans to counteract the Vong by destroying Zonoma Sekot and their worldships with the Death Star)
    B)Path of Destruction (Bane realizing that the OutSith have been pulling strings to try and destroy the InSith during the Jedi vs. Sith war and realizing that they need to go into hiding
    C)KOTOR III (Delves into the origins of the OutSith or the threat they present)
    D)LOTF books: Delve into the Vong and their origins as Sith warriors
    E)LOTF comics: Return of the OutSith!!!!!!!!

-The Rebel Gungan

15. cyris8400

Jan 15, 2006
    This whole theory is pure malarky.

We know that the Prophecy of the Chosen One has been interpreted in many different ways along the Jedi themselves, so how do we know which one is the right one? The one that Lucas says is true? Oh, well I guess that's contradictory because for the Legacy comics to exist, Luacs must have approved of them.

Prophecy or no, it wouldn't be *that* hard for a Force-sensitive to become a Sith if they really wanted to, and it wouldn't even require a living Sith Lord to teach them. All they would need is:
    a) a Sith spirit (from Korriban, Ziost, Thule, or whereever else)
    b) a Sith holocron
    c) basic Sith text like books or decipherable hieroglyphics

No damn prophecy is going to make all these sources of Sith knowledge and methods of their return just vanish out of thin air.

The Sith have been thought dead before and have come back, just as the Jedi have. I wouldn't be surprised if the ancient masters thought someone *else* besides Anakin was the Chosen One, like Lord Hoth or something, and then were agasp and "how is this possible? The Prophecy was fulfilled!" when Sidious revealed himself with Maul on Tatooine.

Lastly, in reference to the Vong being somehow related to the "True Sith": the Unknown Regions wasn't always that same chunk of space as we think of it. "Unknown Regions" is just the label for anything unknown, obviously, and in 4000 BBY, they hadn't discovered all they have in OT time, and so, logically, the Unknown Regions were bigger, leaving more places were the "True Sith" could have come from. Considering what we were told of the True Sith by Traya in KotOR 2, their Empire is probably totally outside the "Unknown Regions" we normally think of, as Korriban and Malachor were supposed to be on the fringe of their territory, and since Korriban's location is shown on any good map and shows it being far from the current Unknown Regions, well... Sernpidal or Bonadan are most likely to be the True Sith capital than Csillia or Nirauan.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Why did the old man tell Kenobi the Senate was ruled by Darth Sidious?

17. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not sure Excellence, why don't you just tell us rather than spout riddles?

Cyris8400: Malarky?

Maybe the prophecy isn't about a Chosen One but rather a chosen line. Maybe the Skywalkers were created by the force to eternally wage war against the Sith and the darkside. I like that theory just as much. Either way we need some clarification on the whole Chosen One thing.

-The Rebel Gungan

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I was asking why, you dolt. :p What purpose in Dooku's schemes did it have? I saw no mention of it in the superficially written novel, or elsewhere.

19. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Saving it? It's already dead.
    *Curses at Retcons*
    [face_plain]

20. cyris8400

Jan 15, 2006
    Just to screw with their heads, I'd imagine, and distract them, although the Clone Wars themselves seem to distract the Jedi away from pursuing any knowledge of Sidious, and only a few Jedi thought Dooku was telling the truth about Darth Sidious anyway.

At face value, it seems that he used it and the "Qui-Gon would have joined me, if he were still alive" reasoning to try and turn Obi-Wan over to his side, and Dooku seemed to want Obi-Wan as an apprentice more than anyone else, as we know through the hateful mind of the envious Asajj Ventress.

21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I have no idea as to how people come up with these ideas. It's like they chose two things to link together that are as unconnected as possible. Sort of like Six Degrees of Separation.

22. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    D_H: The Vong always reminded me of the Sith creations by Exar Kun in TOTJ. The prophecy talk is not exactly random either.

-The Rebel Gungan

23. Master_Uxi

Master_Uxi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    I could well see the "Other Sith" of KOTOR leaving their Sith roots and eventually evolving into something else entirely (though I generally don't expect it to be the Vong).

The Sith of Bane to Sidious being the "true Sith" while these others. The Chosen One prophecy being fulfilled with Anakin's redemption. These OtherSith, regardless of whether they claim the heritage or not, are distinct from that prophecy. I could well see plot points going each way (sects/factions claiming and/or desiring the heritage and other sects/factions rejecting). I'm imagining the Catholic/Orthodox split in Christianity and the various Heretic sects and the subsequent purges...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.