main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saving Threads

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Son of the Suns, Sep 25, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I remember a thread about this (I think it was posted by jasman), but since it is now in JC Purgatory, I decided to repost the topic.

Lately, there have been some prunings in the forums, the most controversial of those was the deletion of the slacker threads yesterday. So I decided to bring to attention the matter of saving old threads. As you may know, I bring old threads on a regular basis to save them from deletion and to continue the discussion. And sometimes I save threads on my hard drive, to view them even after they have been deleted. But it seems that few people actually do this, and when the time comes for an Admin (or the server) to delete old threads, there are many unhappy faces.

The bottom line is, if you like a thread, please bring it up or save it, so that incidents like yesterday's can be prevented.

If this makes absolutely no sense, please forgive me, for I have not slept in a long time.

EDIT (Mr. P): I did this so that it would actually get some attention.

EDIT (SotS): Changing it back, now that it's in the header.

2. Thar Wynn

Thar Wynn Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 1998
    Aye, it makes sense. Do all threads just get deleted if they haven't been added to after a certain amount of time?

3. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Modal+Nodes+Freak Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 27, 1999
    weeeeeeeeeee gotcha

4. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    Boy, if ONLY you'd told Creepio!!

5. Twi'lek Babe

Twi'lek Babe Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 1999
    Hi SotS, nice to know I'm not the only one here watching the tumbleweeds blow thru in the wee hours. What you said makes sense, in terms of being able to dredge up old threads that have sunk to the bottom, but how could it help a deleted thread?

I've got a hunch that if I had been able to preserve one of the slacker threads and slapped it up here right now, it'd be promptly blasted into oblivion.

6. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Aug 27, 1999
    could be the case...seeing as its up for each member to decide whether they were deleted as a pruning of old threads or a deliberate crack down on the slackers...we'll neve know will we....oh well...its over now...

7. Boba Jr

Dec 1, 1998
    The truth is out there...

8. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Aug 27, 1999
    trust noone! and NEVER EVER trust Sparticus!!!!!!!!

9. Thar Wynn

Thar Wynn Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 1998
    Aye, and NEVER EVER trust the Guardian Protector of Scotland.

10. Modal+Nodes+Freak

Aug 27, 1999
    AYE! beware beware jim!

Of the one legged man?

AYE! but also beware running with scissors or any othe pointy object cause its all in good fun till somone loses a eyeeeeeeeeee*dies*

He died?!?! and this was supposed 2 be a kids movie!

We are standing in a room with a dead guy! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

11. Thar Wynn

Thar Wynn Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 1998
    Whoosh!! That one just went way over my head.

12. Twi'lek Babe

Aug 26, 1999
    Boba Jr is right, and I found it. I formally recant my opinion that the thread would be blasted into oblivion. Quite the opposite, I think a celebration would be at hand if one was salvaged. I would offer to bring the champagne!

13. Boba Jr

Dec 1, 1998
    Well, looks like jasman has finally done it. There is now an official thread archive... cool!

14. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Sure thingSon of the Sons.

15. Twi'lek Babe

Aug 26, 1999
    Hopefully Creepio will start another thread that will have the opportunity toutilize this new feature....

BTW, this is as good a place as any to ask..how the heck do you get into the blank threads? I've tried everything, which means it's probably something obvious that I'm missing!

16. Paul

Paul Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2000
    Twi'lek Babe: Look at the bottom of my post off to the right of the screen. There's are two links that say "next newest topic" and "next oldest topic". Just click on a link that's either above or below the blank thread and click on the applicable link.

17. Severian

Severian Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 1999
    Bringing up old threads is fun, but sometimes I get a bit annoyed when someone goes on a jag, and brings up a dozen all within a few minutes. I say, try to limit yourself to one or two a day at the most.

18. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Whatever do you mean? *cough*gundark*cough*

19. Darth Chip

Darth Chip Jedi Grand Master

Aug 7, 1999
    Paul, part of the fun of getting into the blank thread is you have to figure it out yourself. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving away the secret. And you call yourself an admin.

[This message has been edited by Darth Chip (edited 09-25-1999).]

20. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Wow, nobody hasn't figured out the blank thread. Hmm.

21. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I'm glad that my post made sense. I had a paranoid feeling that this would be ignored and/or misunderstood. Anyways, when I bring up a lot of threads, I try to use one or a couple of my aliases (and I have a lot of them), so as to not look like I'm just upping my post count. Also, I try to not bring too many threads by the same person (I hope no one goes uppers happy and brings all of my threads up on my birthday).

BTW, I noticed how weird the timing of this thread was. I made this, went to sleep and woke up seeing an Archive and a lot of old threads back up. Strange, but cool.

22. Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    I saved my different proof inside threads, now that they've all been deleted and can't be brought back, would it be ok if I reposted them?

Same thing with Creepio's poetry thread, I have that saved too.

Any help would be hot.

23. Grand Moff Jerjerrod

Grand Moff Jerjerrod Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 1999
    Do you just do a "save link as" on the main thread title to save the whole thing? I just want to make sure I do it right because I have a few I want to save.

GMJ

24. tabhwd

tabhwd Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 1999
    hey, Paul, you forgot to mention the fact that you also have to sacrifice a goat, and drink a fifth of Castor Oil to get into the blank threads...

25. Jabba the Hutt

Jabba the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 1998
    Tis a very noble act indeed SOTS...

it was through your heroic deeds that many pre Newbie threads were saved..

those that were before the dark times...before the N.E.W.B.I.Es

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.