Saving Threads

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Son of the Suns, Sep 25, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    selina, a blank thread is a thread where there is no text in the subject title. Thus, it cannot be "clicked" on to enter the thread, and the most reliable way to enter it is to click on the link prior to it and then press "Tab" repeatedly until you come to the appropriate space.

The present Snowboards software does not allow the creation of "blank" threads, and thus the only ones left are from the UBB era.
  2. HalloweenGirl Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Thank you very much Val for explaing to me what a blank thread is

3. Valkor Jedi Padawan

star 4
    there's no one you can save, that can't be saved. it's easy!
  4. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's really ironic that the "Saving Threads" thread was locked away at the bottom of the YJCC for nearly two years.
  5. Mitt Jedi Knight

star 6
    Has it really been two years since you posted last?
  6. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Not really. I posted sporadically throughout last year and the year before. But until last month, I had not been a frequent poster since November of 2002.
  7. Valiowk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I miss this classic old thread. :)
  8. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  9. Armenian_Jedi Jedi Master

star 7
  10. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    How ironic. :p
  11. jasman Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    I just have to say it:

"Where did you dig up that old fossil?"

Thank you for saving the thread about saving threads. It is ironic, isn't it?

:)
  12. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well, it's time to put this thread to good use...

Could someone please unlock and up the following threads? Thanks.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=2111261&brd=10008]Songs that remind you of the JC[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=6299816&brd=10008]The Moderator Interviews[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=6017881&brd=10008]This is a crisis![/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=4781777&brd=10008]Movies using JC Usernames[/link]
  13. jasman Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    It sure would be nice if one of the current Mods was interested in preserving the old threads. That way, we wouldn't have to ask them to do it, they would just do it as a matter of course. Then again, none of the current Mods were around back then, so they wouldn't have a clue about what needs to be preserved. Maybe YTAP, SOTS, and I need to be made Mods again, so we could take care of it and the new Mods wouldn't have to be bothered with something so insignificant as the preservation of the history of the JC.
  14. FamousAmos VIP

star 6
    LOL. Or, if you care so much about the history of the JC, why can't you just PM the mods of the JCC with what needs to be preserved, and give the JCC mods some help. It's not like they don't have enough to do as it is modding the most active forum on these boards and all.

15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    It sure would be nice if one of the current Mods was interested in preserving the old threads

I bet you have no idea whatsoever. you couldn't, unless you've discussed it with each one of them, or seen posts about it.

Then again, none of the current Mods were around back then, so they wouldn't have a clue about what needs to be preserved

What's "back then"? You weren't around for hardly any of 2003-05, which I consider to be just as interesting, relevant and worthy of keeping records of as the time you were active for.

While you may not have realized it, there are a number of people besides those you listed who are still around after many years, still active and who care about JC history. For my part, I've been around for four and a half years, which is longer than someone from 1998 was around when 2003 rolled around.

You don't need to be a moderator to save threads. All that's required is a browser, which anyone who posts obviously uses.
  16. jasman Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    Knight Writer you are totally correct. The people who have helped preserve the JC threads are many, more than I could mention, and if I left anyone out, I apologize. And yes, all you have to do to preserve a thread is to post to it and bring it back to the top of the list, as many people have done to preserve the old threads, and I thank everyone who has done so!

However, many of the threads that are "save-worthy" are so far down in the list that they have been automatically locked, as many old threads are, and it requires a Mod's intervention to re-open them before they can be "upped" and preserved. This includes threads that were created from 2000 to 2004!

And it is possible that many of the current Mods are not aware of which old threads are "save-worthy" and which are not.
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    Every single JCC thread is preserved by virtue of its mere existence. Perhaps you're under the impression that threads are automatically deleted or otherwise removed. That's no longer the case, and hasn't been in a long time. One caveat to that is the old ROTS forum, which saw the demise of hundreds of threads last year to manual pruning (which I strongly disagreed with).

Aside from that, however, everything is quite safe.
  18. jasman Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    K W, I admit that I was most active during a time when both deliberate and automatic prunings were commonplace, and that is why so many people worked so hard to save threads. If what you say is true, that prunings no longer happen and all of the old threads are safe, then I thank you for the reassurance, and I am very happy that it is no longer an issue! I do notice, however, that all of the old threads, older than 2002, for example, have been automatically locked. It would be necessary to unlock them and bring them up in order to keep them "active."
  19. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    Sots, thanks for giving me a reason to +1 the Admin log.:p

Also like Amos said, feel free to PM the JCC mods with threads that you like unlocked and we will happily do it for you.

20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    I do notice, however, that all of the old threads, older than 2002, for example, have been automatically locked. It would be necessary to unlock them and bring them up in order to keep them "active."

Everything past six months from the present date is automatically locked. Upping old threads is done occasionally, but I know I wouldn't want to see every old thread (no matter how interesting) suddenly upped. Most would soon fall back anyway. It was a different community that made them what they were/are, and the essence of them belongs to a group long since passed and past.
  21. jasman Administrator Emeritus

star 4
    I agree. Maybe the real issue is to make it possible to transfer some of those threads to Archives, rather than make them active. Many of us would like to keep those old threads around for "old time's sake", not necessarily to post to them. I need to find out about the current policy regarding archiving.
  22. Bacon164 Jedi Master

star 7
    The ROTS pruning still makes me angry... most of everything I ever posted in there is gone.
  23. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    I need to find out about the current policy regarding archiving.

there is no policy.

Basically, if you want to archive a thread, you pretty much just have to save it to your hard drive.
  24. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  25. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    A few more:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/4996396/p1/?51]JCC Vegetarian Thread[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=1251777&brd=10008]Well <blank> That (It's a game, sickos!)[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/5811341/p22]Who do you think will the next chosen to be a mod/admin?[/link] (fun to see how many old predictions eventually ended up coming true)

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=771639&brd=10008]Is your 'online' personality different from your 'real life' one?[/link]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.