main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Say it Aint Sosa

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi76, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    I know that I am not from Chicago but I would like to hear your reactions about what happend with Sammy Sosa last night. Personally if he uses a corcked bat for BP thats his business but its the batboys fault for not getting rid of it before the game I am not saying that its right to use a corcked bat. In a game where you can take steorids beat the crap out of your wife and gamble on the game and your still in the hall of fame its BS that Sosa's image may be tarnished forever, he did everything he can for baseball that now will be in the crapper and now the fans may turn on him. I just hope everything will work out for him and the Cubbies next to the Twins the Cubs are my favorite team and I would like to see them win a title with there bad luck latley.

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I love the Cubs.

If Sox fans can get past the whole "Black Sox" World Series thing, I'm sure Cub fans can get past this.

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Sad to say, I am really not too much of a baseball fan....

but I do have one question for you all who are.......

How many of you believe his story that the cork bat was his practice bat and he wasn't aware that he was using it...raise your hands...

hmmmmmmmmm......don't see any hands raised....

:)

4. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Even if it was a mistake and it's his practice bat, why use that bat at all? It may be a bit too coincidental that he uses this bat at a time he's in a slump.

Well, when all is said and done........

GO SOX!!!!!! :)

5. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    Sammy Sosa- We're All Human, We All Make Mistakes'

GO SOX!!!!!!

I'm with you on that ;)

6. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I am a Sox fan and thus am biased, but hey, Sammy was once one of ours. Anyway, here is my opinion on the matter:

1) Sammy is a LIAR! (pt.1)

He is full of crap when he says that he only uses a bat to put on a show at batting practice. Sammy takes BP for about 10-15 minutes way, way, way before the game. Usually there are less than 100 fans in the park for at this time. That is not the behavior of someone who wants to "put on a show for the fans."

2) Sammy is a LIAR! (pt.2)

Talk to any baseball player, or any serious athlete for that matter, and ask them how they feel/treat their equipment. It might as well be the Holy Grail. Any major leaguer can tell instantly if he has picked up a 33oz. bat or a 34oz. bat. They know EXACTLY which bats they use for BP and which they use for games, because they use the crappy ones for BP and their best for the games. These tools are how these men make their living. They are everything to them. Sammy saying that he made an innocent mistake is a big fat lie. He knew exactly which bat he was bringing up. Lastly on this point, if you watched his press conference right after the game, you saw a typical Chicago media free pass. No one asked any tough questions and Sammy was hitting them out of the park looking sympathetic and believable. At the end of the softball, easy questions, someone finally asked Sammy a "good journalist question." Rick Telander of the Sun-Times asked Sammy if he could tell the difference between a corked bat and a regular bat. Sammy, clearly angered, replied that he had said he picked up the wrong bat. He didn't answer the question and he got ticked. 1 question later the interview was over. He's a liar.

3) Sammy took steroids.

Look folks, I don't want to believe this put it looks really bad. First of all, a year ago Sammy used to be a lot bigger. He also used to have a lot of acne. He is slimmer now and has a clear complexion. He also used to hit 1 homer for every 10 at-bats. Since Aug 19th of last year he is hitting 1 homer for every 20. A year or two ago, when the steroid scandal was really hitting baseball, Sammy said that he would take a test any time, any where. Rick Reilly of Sports Illustrated took him up on it. Sammy got really PO'ed at the guy and told him to buzz off. Look, we know he cheated and LIED about corking the bat, it makes perfect sense that he would cheat with his body and lie about it.

I know it sounds like I have something against Sammy. I don't from all reports he is a really good guy, a good human being. Especially compared to some of the jerks and wife-beaters that are playing the game today. I didn't want to believe that Sammy was cheating, but I feel that it is the inevitable conclusion.

Sorry

7. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I remembe the first time I saw the Cubs play. It was 1978 and my father had just been murdered by a clown. I was at the police station with my mother and my uncle took me to see the Cubs (during it's series with the Tigers)to get my mind off of having found the body butchered in the basement.
    I didn't really understand everything that was going on in the game because I was just 7 years old, plus they tell me I would start screaming hysterically from time to time and they'd have to take me outside till I calmed down.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Bosh, the Cubs didn't play the Tigers in 1978. That was way before interleague play. ;) :p

And yeah, I'm sure that was the first time that Sammy ever mistakenly took an illegal bat up to the plate in a game...

9. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    maybe now they'll finally tear down wrigley and fix the parking situation in that neighborhood!

10. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    well this corked bat is going to effect Sammy Sosa's baseball career. Lets just hope that he doesn't get kicked out, because as he said, everyone does make some big mistakes...once in a while.

11. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    One word:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Like we all didn't know he corked his bat or used steroids! 8 games. See ya later, cheater. Folks, look at the simple facts of the case, also known as the career stats of Mr. Sammy "all I care about is myself/Struck Out Swinging Again" Sosa:

YR / TM / G / AB / R / H / 2B / 3B / HR / RBI / BB / SO / SB / CS / AVG
    89 / CWS / 33 / 99 / 19 / 27 / 5 / 0 / 3 / 10 / 11 / 27 / 7 / 3 / .273
    89 / Tex / 25 / 84 / 8 / 20 / 3 / 0 / 1 / 3 / 0 / 20 / 0 / 2 / .238
    89 / -- / 58 / 183 / 27 / 47 / 8 / 0 / 4 / 13 / 11 / 47 / 7 / 5 / .257
    90 / CWS / 153 / 532 / 72 / 124 / 26 / 10 / 15 / 70 / 33 / 150 / 32 / 16 / .233
    91 / CWS / 116 / 316 / 39 / 64 / 10 / 1 / 10 / 33 / 14 / 98 / 13 6 / .203
    92 / ChC / 67 / 262 / 41 / 68 / 7 / 2 / 8 / 25 / 19 / 63 / 15 / 7 / .260
    93 / ChC / 159 / 598 / 92 / 156 / 25 / 5 / 33 / 93 / 38 / 135 / 36 / 11 / .261
    94 / ChC / 105 / 426 / 59 / 128 / 17 / 6 / 25 / 70 / 25 / 92 / 22 / 13 / .300
    95 / ChC / 144 / 564 / 89 / 151 / 17 / 3 / 36 / 119 / 58 / 134 / 34 / 7 / .268
    96 / ChC / 124 / 498 / 84 / 136 / 21 / 2 / 40 / 100 / 34 / 134 / 18 / 5 / .273
    97 / ChC / 162 / 642 / 90 / 161 / 31 / 4 / 36 / 119 / 45 / 174 / 22 / 12 / .251
    98 / ChC / 159 / 643 / 134 / 198 / 20 / 0 / 66 / 158 / 73 / 171 / 18 / 9 / .308
    99 / ChC / 162 / 625 / 114 / 180 / 24 / 2 / 63 / 141 / 78 / 171 / 7 / 8 / .288
    00 / ChC / 156 / 604 / 106 / 193 / 38 / 1 / 50 / 138 / 91 / 168 / 7 / 4 / .320
    01 / ChC / 160 / 577 / 146 / 189 / 34 / 5 / 64 / 160 / 116 / 153 / 0 / 2 / .328
    02 / ChC / 150 / 556 / 122 / 160 / 19 / 2 / 49 / 108 / 103 / 144 / 2 / 0 / .288
    03 / ChC / 41 / 146 / 29 / 41 / 12 / 0 / 6 / 25 / 28 / 50 / 0 / 1 / .281
    Total / -- / 1916 / 7172 / 1244 / 1996 / 309 / 43 / 505 / 1372 / 766 / 1884 / 233 / 106 / .278

Note how in one offseason, he almost doubled his HRs, in a meer one more official at bat. Say what you want, but no conditioning program will help that without a little medicinal or top of a wine bottle help. This from a guy that loves the game, claims to not do anything illegal, yet fights the steroid testing and needs a corked bat for "batting practice". Yeah.....riiiiiiiiiiiight. Grab some bench, loser.

It's all here.

12. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    Nice stats JediJeff!

13. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    So smaller parks, expansion, the watering down of pitching talent, the "juicing" of the ball (Like I believe MLB when they say no they didn't) had nothing to do with this either.

Steroid use?
    Innocent until proven guilty.

Correlation does not mean causation.

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Correlation?

You mean if someone weighs the same as a duck, then...

15. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I have a hard time believing any baseball player who spends his life being supersticous about everything, like most players are, didn't know instantly the moment he picked up a lighter bat that it wasn't his normal piece of lumber. I'm sure any hitter of any merit could pick up their regular bat from a pile blindfolded.

16. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    ..they are made of wood, and therefore...

Oh, I would agree that it is highly unlikely that Sosa didn't know what bat was in his hands when he walked up to the plate.

17. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    he had to know! anyone that has played ball even as a kid can tell when the equipment has changed. it throws everything into a different light. he totally knew what he was doing and should be fried for it.

18. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I totally think he knew he had a corked bat and should be punished for it.

The whole steroid thing I'll argue tho', cuz it hasn't been proven, implied yes, proven no.

19. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    It is true that we can't prove that Sosa took roids. However, look at his face and physique and the changes they have undergone since he has been in the league very suspicious. Then there was the whole way he handled the Rick Reilly challenge from SI . . .

if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . .

but like you said we can't know for sure.

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    ...and therefore, a witch!

Burn 'em!

21. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    Sammy turned me into a newt!....Well I got better.

22. ProfessorMurder

ProfessorMurder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    From today's Sun-Times:
    -----

Questions probably not asked Sammy Sosa during his meeting with MLB officials Tuesday in Baltimore regarding a corked bat that found its way into his hands and splintered when he used it June 3 against the Devil Rays:

*Did you ever use a corked bat in a game before?

*If you can't tell the difference between a corked bat and one that is legitimate, how would you know if you didn't?

*How did the corked bat happen to be in your possession? What anti-Sammy sort of person would do that to you? Do you think that person was racially motivated?

*Do you think a satanic cult was involved in setting you up?

*Any idea who might have drilled and filled your corked bat? And why?

*Any idea if there are--or were before June 3--any other corked bats in the Cubs clubhouse? Or other big-league clubhouses?

*Do you actually expect people--other than Sammy lemmings (not to be confused with football recruiting guy Tom Lemming)--to find your excuses credible?

*When you first gave an excuse, why didn't you say you just used a corked bat this one time after being hit in the head, coming back from your toenail problem and struggling at the plate?

*Wouldn't that have silenced those jackals in the media and established a time frame that would not have cast into doubt any of your accomplishments?

*Where is Mark Grace? Didn't he say he would appear here as a character witness for you? Or was that some sort of joke?

*If MLB decides to cut the number of games you have to sit out, can we have your autograph?
    -----

-Professor Murder
    "I ain't that good"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.