main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Say no to facebook, say Yes to our Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    As we lose more and users to facebook and the boards sink. I would like to ask everyone questions.

Have you gotten more friends thru facebook or the boards?

Have you been on more adventures from the boards or facebook?

Most importantly, Do you get a sense of community on facebook or these boards?

I have always believed in these boards. Even though I might use facebook to communicate with family, the friendships and adventures I have had have come thru these boards. This place I believe is a community. Facebook instead of creating a community has restricted it to your own private castle with only your allowed friends in. Yet at the same time these boards are offer ideas and views from around the world. And not just about Star Wars but about how we live our lives and what influences us. I would not have traveled to six hours to Canada for a parade if not for Fanforce. If not for the JCC I would not have met my South Australian friends and moved there for a time period. What I saying is this place is a world wide community that offers the different viewpoints that make life wonderful and adds color. And lets not forget all the families that have started because of the boards. We are like the neighborhood bodega or corner store where you see all your neighbors and you get to know them. Its the shared randomness of ideas and information posted here that gives rise to our community.

Yet Facebook creates enclosed relationships not open to new ideas. Its like High School with cliques that only certain people are allowed into. Yet ask yourself, are you creating these cliques because Facebook makes it so easy? Does facebook offer you to join other groups or discuss things you have never heard or little interest in?

This community offers everything that facebook isn't. New ideas and new adventures. And all you have to do is join in. You don't have to worry about your info going to a third party or be bombarded with spam about frontierville. It is community in every sense of the word. It asks nothing and gives everything in return.

So maybe to save these boards we can rise up against the giant and use the tools and the power we have to defeat it. The power of Community, the same power that gave voice to civil rights, the voice to freedom, and to the voice of new ideas.

LAJ Edit - I think we've finished here.

tom and Zapdos like this.
  2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    What?

Seriously, what? Is this actually an issue and, assuming it is, other than equating it to the civil rights struggle, what is your solution?

Amazing.

3. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Plain and simple, Facebook isn't the downfall of the boards. There's a certain amount of interaction there, but nothing along the lines of what we have here. There's really no reason to put out some kind of rally cry. The boards are slower and less people are coming in but I'd say that's pretty natural for any messageboard that's been around this long. With no major events happening, there just isn't going to be the kind of traffic here that there was ten years ago.

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

...[face_thinking]

Wait, is there a real issue here? I'm only on my third scotch...

Edit: Seriously, these boards are driven by STAR WARS events, and without films; and with only books, games
    and the television series to promote it...

Oh, what the ****...

"Ph'nglui...

(fourth scotch)

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    ... Did you seriously just equate the JCF with the civil rights movement?o_O

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Are you ****ing serious, dude? Can you permanently leave this place already?

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Everyone knows that I can pontificate with ease so the following response should be noted strongly:

[face_talk_hand]

8. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Careful now, no need to tread the flaming line.

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    how many of your friends are jcc friends, why because they were vetted here. You don't vet strangers on facebook. You exclude them from your groups of friends. Yet thru these boards you make friends you would never have met thru facebook. facebook narrows your view on the world. The boards expand them.

10. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    beez, your point in terms of meeting people on a message board versus meeting strangers on Facebook is valid. But that has nothing to do with the boards and their expansion/recession. You've brought up a topic that is a general discussion, not a thread that we can possibly solve through Comms.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    [image=http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0912/implied-facepalm-implied-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1259858393.jpg]

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    So you're advertising the boards to...a bunch of people who already use the boards. I'm sold?

Facebook is evil/not as good/sucks I guess is a valid thread, but not a valid Comms thread.

And I gotta ask beezel, you've made numerous threads about how this community is super important, our mods are half divine, and we must protect our children from pictures of girls in full length dresses.

There's users that post here 24/7, yet you post only every other week or so. We're fine, we're all fine here.

Who appointed you as our bannerman?

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i am like what.

beezel, have you ever tried reading one of your rambling posts before you click the post button. or perhaps even after, during the ninety minutes or whatever it is you have to edit a comms post. maybe try reading it aloud and ask yourself if you shouldn't perhaps take another shot at forming a coherent sentence.

then i don't know, maybe try reading what some other people are saying. try some of this interacting that you're advocating so strongly for. you might find people are kinda weirded out by you. it's like you're in your own world man.

Zapdos likes this.
  15. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Or, how about making real life friends.
    Inerenet friends are like being tight with pinocchio

Tevase2 likes this.
  16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  17. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
    Beezel, put the pipe down and get off the internet.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I like the TF.N Facebook group because the TOS have no power over me over there and I can troll whenever I want. Bwa ha ha.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    DAVE, YOU'RE TEARING US APART.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hold on, I'm going to reply on Facebook.

Tevase2 likes this.
  21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    1. Are the boards "sinking?" I was only looking at the posts in YJCC the other day and thinking how active it was. The movie forums (particularly PT and Saga) seem to be seeing a slight upswing in visitors as well.

2. Even if the boards are "sinking" it has nothing at all to do with Facebook. It is simply down to the fact that Uncle George has stopped making Star Wars movies and people are moving on to other things in their life.

3. Why the hell am I even bothering to respond to this thread?[face_not_talking]

22. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    The lions tremble in your shadow.

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    One thing the boards and Facebook have in common are that both contain people whose opinions I disagree with. The difference between the two is that I can remove them from my life on Facebook, whereas I can't do so here.

Just my two cents. [face_peace]

24. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Facebook has a "block user" feature and a "hide" button. *reads OP* Facebook wins.

Also, people who complain about cliques past the age of 18 are really just saying they don't have any friends.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    <Likes>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.