main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hamp Saying hi

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by SpiceSmuggler, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Ok... for the web site. I finally got with Andy a few days ago. After I finish up the foot. I will make time to set down with him and work od the site. It will be coming soon? Better late than never....lol

As for the name.....

My vote with be NOT to change it. If that means not being about to be a non-profit, will? We'll have to go from there. It makes NO sence to me to be a Star wars Fan Club and NOT have a Star Wars name. I've been tring to get with some other group around the broads and see howthey do it but I have olny heard back from one. They do all the stuff just like we were doing and are not a non-profit. They just go out to show and have raffle like we do is all. But I'm still chekcing in to it.

But again ... my vote is NO on the name change.

later,
    TK

2. Jeedai_Veila

Jeedai_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    You can still donate money and hold charity events even if you are not a non-profit, right?

3. Capt_Brandon_Berry

Capt_Brandon_Berry Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2008
    yes we can. they will take any thing they can get their hands big or little that how they make things happen for the the kids

4. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    Yeah, and one group that really needs help is the NH Food Bank. We might want to look at holding a food drive sometime or us as members donate some non perishable food items to them.

5. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    The food bank sounds good. The 501st just did that one at Granit Con. We did pretty good with collecting food that day. I think we picked up just about a cart full of food.

Later,
    TK

6. SpiceSmuggler

SpiceSmuggler Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2009
    You should do a food drive. Hook up with the local radio shows. That's what we have done in the past to help out during the holidays. And they like doing that stuff too, it makes them look good too.

7. SpiceSmuggler

Jun 22, 2009
    Food drive are Awesome! You should hook up with the radio. That's what we have done in the past for the holidays. They love to do stuff like that, its good for them and you too.

8. SpiceSmuggler

Jun 22, 2009
    Sorry for the kind of double post, I though I lost the 1st one.

9. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    No prob. Last year I was hoping we could have hooked up with the Buzz with their Lend a Helping Can telethon, but it didn't work out... not enough lead time. Maybe this year though!

10. jediscar

jediscar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Yes, we can make donations and participate at events if we aren't a non-profit. However, we cannot legally raise public funds or accept donations from the public, nor can we technically host a public event, without incorporating as a non-profit. It is a huge personal liability for each of us should something happen at an event we hosted (Clone Wars last summer) and a personal financial liability if we were not able to account for 100% of funds collected in public events, which would be viewed as doing something as an organization for-profit, thereby subject to state and federal taxes.

ALong the lines of money talk, can someone please pass along the funds collected at FCBD and the extra change I had provided from account to start the cash box? I need to update the books. I will gladly write Ralph a check if we decide to add to his Make A Wish contribution. It was 2 1/2 months ago and the treasurer still has not been able to account for the funds from that day....

My vote is that if we aren't going to change the name and incorporate as a non-profit, then we dissolve our current bank account and all future participation at events will have to come from individual member's wallets, the way we did it before the Clone Wars event. We can still raise money for MakeAWish, but it would be limited to MakeAWish events or an event where we were both present and we turned a collection jar over to them at the end of the event. We could not sell anything directly. Several of us have personal businesses and cannot risk getting wrapped up in state or federal audits if our participation in illegal transactions was questioned.

11. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    Just a reminder to everyone, this month's meeting is this Sunday on the 19th! Is TK hosting? Hope to see everyone there! THe meeting should start around noonish and I'll be there around 1:30. Later!

12. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    Shoot, I can't make it this sunday. Are you guys still getting together on Thursday? I really want to start working on and eventually finish my costume before I have to leave.

13. Capt_Brandon_Berry

Capt_Brandon_Berry Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2008

[/quote]
    As for the name.....

My vote with be NOT to change it. If that means not being about to be a non-profit, will? We'll have to go from there. It makes NO sence to me to be a Star wars Fan Club and NOT have a Star Wars name. I've been tring to get with some other group around the broads and see howthey do it but I have olny heard back from one. They do all the stuff just like we were doing and are not a non-profit. They just go out to show and have raffle like we do is all. But I'm still chekcing in to it.

But again ... my vote is NO on the name change.

later,
    TK[/quote]

I have to agree with TK. there is no need to be a non-profit. when was the last time we had a meeting? the last 2 were canceled. no one shows up to events. only had one big event that we ever put on our self a year a go. a lot of wasted time and money to go into non-profit when we dont do things as a group. NOT MAKING THE FAN CLUB FUN! to much like a business. what happen to people hanging out, having fun going to shows like we use to, back when it was fun and we did STAR WARS STUFF!

14. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    I was hoping to make it Thursday but I might have to be moving stuff over the next few days. The shed is basically done so now my father in law wants me to take our stuff out of his shed. Can't say I blame him! lol

15. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    Movie night was also a meeting and it seemed pretty fun to me. We talked very little business, as there was very little business to discuss.

As for becoming a non-profit, we took a vote that included all active members at the time and it passed. If someone wishes to call for a re-vote, that's fine. But, we should be prepared for what happens next if we decide to go non-profit or not. For example, dealing with the name issue if we do it, what happens to current funds and guidelines we adopted if not. Speaking of the articles we adopted, elected officials have not been fulfilling all of our duties -- advance reminders and logistical organization of meeting dates and time, putting out a brief business agenda for the "non-fun" part of the meeting, tracking attendance to establish voting priviledges, etc.

As for the "everyone else is doing it" argument, that doesn't make it legal or right. They will suffer the consequences if something unfortunate happens. Becoming a non-profit legitimizes our fundraising for charity and will also ensure that more members are comfortable participating at those events. Has everyone cosidered that maybe some members don't go events where we have a table because it does not seem ligitimate?

As for the level of particpation at events, James and I did the table at the Portsmouth comic show alone, TK and Brandon did FCBD together. That's just about all of our active members partipating at the last 2 events we had a table. That's a pretty good turnout if you ask me.

16. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    As for the meeting on Sunday, I'm happy to host. It's been a while since I've had everyone over. Mr. Archivist, or Madame Secretary, (whichever you prefer), could you please confirm at your earliest convenience if I will be hosting or not? Thanks.

17. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    Seriously, I'm going to slap the midichlorians right out of you. [face_beatup] lol

If you're willing to host, go to it. If anyone needs directions to his place, please PM Steve. Can't wait to get together with everyone again, it seems like it's been forever!

18. Darth_Cobern

Darth_Cobern Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2008
    Regrettably, I probably won't be able to make it on Sunday (unless it is at Steve's house, then I can just pop over for a few).

If you guys want to turn into a costuming group that gets together for that and to watch movies, that's fine. When you want to put our "fandom" and enthusiasm to some more adult purpose, then we should become a non-profit, whatever the name, so that we can be legally covered, collectively and individually. There is still nothing wrong with movie night and costume making sessions as part of the group activities. We just won't collect any money. At all. And I vote that any and all money accounted or unaccounted for should be donated and we should get a receipt.

We did all vote to become a non-profit with only one person voting against it. There were no stipulations in that vote that we would have to keep our name. The fact that other groups try to do things under the table only makes them more vulnerable and less organized. Look at the Clone Wars dinner we did last year - that was not the work of an amateur club. We could do more stuff like that and raise money for our expenses and for Make-A-Wish. So what if we can't be called the Mandalorians when we do public events? It does not prevent us from being who we are and dressing up for fun and for charity.

19. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    I'm pretty sure you can collect money when you are not a non-profit. Hell, my juggling club collected over a hundred bucks this last year by volunteering and we used the funds for club purposes. No police are knocking on my door...

20. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    A few quotes and the link from the NH Department of Justice guidelines for charitable organizations:

http://doj.nh.gov/publications/pdf/nhfc_guidebook.pdf
    ? The board must make certain that fundraising is done honestly and with integrity. Contracts with
    professional fundraisers, who are empowered to solicit charitable donations from the public in the
    charity?s name, should be read carefully and the board should inquire into the fundraiser?s track
    record. The board should make sure that any contract with an outside professional fundraiser is
    fair and reasonable, and that the fundraiser?s performance is monitored.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    1. What is a charity?
    Under New Hampshire law, charities include private foundations, public charities, town trusts, library
    trusts, cemetery trusts, and any other entity soliciting funds for a charitable purpose, whether or not they
    are a 501( c)(3) organization. Charitable purposes are very broadly defined and include, but are not limited
    to, relief of poverty, advancement of education or religion, promotion of health, science, sports and other
    purposes beneficial to the community. Charitable entities may receive special privileges in recognition of
    the public benefits that they provide. Religious organizations are not required to register with either the
    Internal Revenue Service or the New Hampshire Attorney General?s Office.

21. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    I'll say again, just because other clubs or groups do it, does not make it right or legal. I've asked 2 lawyer friends about our groups situation and they continue to say that by incorporating you remove liabilty for accidents, etc, and fiscal liability from any one individual in the group (unless found guilty of fraudulent criminal activity), and places that liability on the corporation itself.

22. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Feb 9, 2003
    And I suppose you can look at the smackdown the coppers put on those people at the Derry flea market. After all, the government is looking at ways of closing their deficit... Then again it all could be fear mongering on my part... lol

23. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    This from nonprofit.about.com:

Question: How Does a Nonprofit Differ From a Business?

Answer: Here are some of the differences between a business and a nonprofit:

When you start a business, it is for the financial benefit of its owners and/or shareholders. Profit is the goal and the business pays taxes on that profit.

A nonprofit entity has a mission that benefits the "greater good" of the community, society, or the world. It does not pay taxes, but it also cannot use its funds for anything other than the mission for which it was formed.

Nonprofit organizations can and do make a profit, but it must be used solely for the operation of the organization or, in the case of a foundation, granted to other nonprofit organizations.

When a for-profit organization goes out of business, its assets can be liquidated and the proceeds distributed to the owners or the shareholders. When a nonprofit goes out of business, its remaining assets must be given to another nonprofit.

24. jediscar

Apr 22, 2007
    From nonprofitlaw.com:

Record-keeping and reporting.

To comply with federal tax rules and maintain tax-exempt status, organizations need to establish some basic record-keeping and reporting procedures and make informative disclosures to their members and donors. To comply with IRS reporting requirements, records should be kept on:

The total amount of contributions, gifts and grants received;

the names and amounts given by large contributors (individuals whose total contributions during the most recent four years are greater than or equal to 2 percent of the organization?s total contributions over that same period); however, because even a small contributor may become a ?large? contributor it is a good idea to keep track of all individual contributors to your organization; and,

how the funds raised are spent, including separating program, administration and fundraising expenditures.

25. Darth_Cobern

Darth_Cobern Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2008
    Today I sent another email to my Lucasfilm Ltd. contact, with whom I had corresponded before. I reiterated that we did want to become incorporated, be an official non-profit, and perhaps make and sell t-shirts with SW-related images on them in order to raise money for our group and charities. I also let her know that we were very attached to the Mandalorian name and asked her for suggestions on a name that would be acceptable to LFL.

I will let y'all know when I get a response.

I'm sure that we can come up with a few choices of alternate names, since we are all smart and creative. It would not be the worst thing to branch out to try to include sci-fi and fantasy fans with broader interests:

a) it would probably boost membership
    b) we could participate in more events that were not (gasp!) Star Wars related
    c) we could appeal to a demographic who may be too young to appreciate Star Wars the way we do - let's face it, most of our group is pushing forty, with family and kids who have other time committments. New young (18+) blood with weekends free could increase the number of members that could represent, go dress up and sit at a table to collect money for the group
    d) just think of how much more animated our meetings would be if we had the kind of witty Star Wars vs. Star Trek repartee like they had in "Fanboys"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.