main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hamp Saying hi

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by SpiceSmuggler, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiceSmuggler

SpiceSmuggler Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2009
    Sorry to say your group will never get the ok from Lucas films for charity work. Do to conflict for interest. There is no way they will let you use name or likeness for t-shirts, unless you pay the licensing fees. Witch I don't think your club has that kind of funds for, and have to be approved for. There are ways around it. T-shirts can be made as fans, and can be sold as long as people know its not approved Lucas films. look at all the unlicensed sport stuff out there. If you guys want to be a no-pro. group go join a charity group that is all ready out there. You should not combine with a fan club group with a non-pro, to different things. But you can raise money for your group and charity group as long as people know were the money go to. Look at all the cans at gas stations to help people out, you think that is claimed? NO! I think you guys are going OVERBOARD for a fan club.

2. jediscar

jediscar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Yes, having a collection jar on a table would be fine. However, holding raffles or selling items to simultaneously fund-raise for ourselves and for charity, are not acceptible. I've come across another option, similar to what SpiceSuggler has suggested, that may work for us and make everyone happy. I'll fill you all in at the meeting. It's called an unorganized non-profit. We would not form our own corporation, but would have to be affiliated with another corporation who would contractually accept any liability for finances, accountability, and otherwise. Details at the meeting. It would have it's plusses and minuses, of course.

3. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    I've spent some time thinking about this and I think we need to determine what we want to be. Are we just a fan club getting together and enjoy sharing our love of Star Wars or are we aspiring to be something more? If we stay just a fan club then we do just that, no fund raising but we can still show up at events and promote the group. If we are going to collect money, then we do it legally. Because all it takes is one busybody to stick their nose where it doesn't belong and cause problems for us. But that' just my opinion.

So it comes down to this: this weekend we once and for all make a decision on what we are doing and stick to it. Though I think SpiceSmuggler has a great idea though. Why not see if we can be covered by Make A Wish if we do fundraising for them? Maybe TK or Steve can contact Jason at Make a Wish and see if that can happen, and if there is anything that we have to do to be covered by them.

If not, and the consensus is that we do not want to become a non-profit then we stop collecting money and just show up as a group and have fun. It just seems that either way, being a non profit or not, is going to be a headache that none of us wants to deal with.

4. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    Sounds great!

5. jediscar

jediscar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2007

yes, once and for all -- PLEASE! This will be the third time we discuss this, November and March being the other 2 times, with March having an "official" vote on the matter. As I posted before, I'm good with a re-vote, but we need to address the consequences of the outcome of that vote ahead of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.