main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SBS = LOTR: FOTR

Discussion in 'Literature' started by scorepeein, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorepeein

scorepeein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    In FOTH a group of characters go into the enemies camp to save middle earth. A key character (Gandalf) is killed saving the rest. The group is split when the story promptly ends. Later in the series Gandalf returns.

In SBS a group of characters go into the enemies camp to save the universe. A key character (Anakin) is killed saving the rest. The group is split when the story promptly ends.

Hmmmmm, maybe Anakin will reappear. Either way I thought it was interesting.

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    More died in SBS :)

3. scorepeein

scorepeein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    More died in SBS on the suicide mission but they were not main characters. In FOTR Boromir died but he was not a main character either.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    In Blackhawk down a team of Elites goes into enemy territory to perform a mission that would save countless lives.

BHD = SBS too :)

5. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I considered Boromir a main character. The Fellowship of the Ring. He was apart of the Fellowship, and a major player in Frodo's fate.

6. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I agree. All of those that were counted as part of the Fellowship are main characters. He played a very important part. Just because a character isn't in the whole movie doesn't mean they aren't a main character.

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    And someone who was being taken over by "ring-lust". Still, It's kinda hard for me to agree that Boromir(spelling please) was that major a character. Mind you, I'm reading LoTR for the first time now, though thanks to my dad I already had a strong grasp on what was going on in the story before I even saw the movie. But despite all that, what I get from the book is a feeling that Boromir isn't as important as say Gimli or Pippin. Naturally the most important character is Frodo. But Boromir's importance seems to be in the fact that he is being taken over by "ring-lust". He believes that the ring should be used to defeat Sauron(spellig please), and in Lothloreian he basically mutters under his breath that if things went his way, they'd head for Minas Tirath and do just that. And it is because of this "ring-lust" that he actually causes Frodo to leave the rest of the company and set out on his own. Though Frodo can't be on his own as long as Sam has any say in the matter.

However, is SbS the same as LoTR:FoTR? No, I don't think so. Frodo would have prefered it if the ring had never come to him. And during the Council of Elrond, he seems to timidly volunteer to take the mission, wishing that maybe someone else could do it. Anakin actually brings up the mission, and pretty much makes it clear that this is his baby, that he must be a part of it. Noth only that, but the death count of the Jedi was much greater. Sure, there were more Jedi involved in the mission than there were members of the fellowship. But the Jedi mission lost a number that would be about the majority of the size of the fellowship.

8. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Boromir is a tragic figure. He's a human and falls prey to his "darker side". He wants the ring out of a desire to do good (much like Gandalf). Yet the ring's power proves too much for him to handle and his desires get the better of him. He then sacrifices himself to save Merry and Pipin, slaying about fifty orcs in the process.

The only thing he has in common with Anakin is that the both die.

9. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    You could say the same thing about Gollum. You don't see him that much but he is a very important character. Thus he is a main character.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't think that importance yields main character.

Take Star Wars, for example. Palpatine was an important character in the original trilogy, but was he a main character? Not in my opinion. Heck, before I got more into Star Wars, I didn't even know the guy's name. I just thought he was some sick-looking reptile that happened to control Darth Vader.
    I'm sure lots of other movie viewers felt that way, too.

Palpatine played an important part in the Star Wars story, but I don't consider him to be a main character.

I think there are some writer's guidelines (I forgot where I got this from, there are various sources and I just can pinpoint the exact one at the moment) that a main character should be developed as the story progresses. The main character must end the story as a changed individual from when it began.

Palpatine died, and that was a change, granted, but c'mon...
    Change refers to development, I'm sure. Luke developed; he's a main character. Han developed; he's a main character. Leia developed; she's a main character. Vader developed; he's a main character.

Palpatine? He died. Not a main character, in my opinion.

Edit:

I'm going to elaborate because I realized that I failed to convey myself as clearly as I would have liked.

Palpatine was used for plot purposes, that was it. Main characters, in a sense, are the story. Palpatine was merely an item used to tell the story with. His role was important to the plot, but he, as an individual, was not that important at all to the viewers.

Okay, I'm sorry. I can't make my points translucent enough, I'm afraid. I just tried studying for an Accounting test and my mind's fried. Sorry. I'll try again later maybe. *weary smile*

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    You may have a point there Valyn. Mauth was was an important character to Shadow Hunter, but despite the full title of the book, he really didn't seem to be a main character.

12. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    i would say that boromir is still a main character b/c not only is he important but he is also a character, somebody very human and tragic who has many differant dimensions.

13. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    True. I still see all important players in the movie as main characters. Minor characters are the extras. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.