main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scenes in movies that get you all choked up...or...It's okay to cry.

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Silac5, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blade_Runner82

Blade_Runner82 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    Hey,

Well I have to say that believe it or not this is my first post ever on here! I was reading thru this conversion and I had to become a member so I could join in. I've never actually cried at a movie but I've been close and sad quite a few times. I'm on a big LOTR kick right now and I think the ending to the "fellowship" is up there. not so much the death but the end with Sam chasing Frodo in the boat. The music is great at that scene too.

I hope nobody flames me for this but my mother's fave movie is "Steel Magnolias" and yes it's a corny movie but I grew up with it and Sally Fields gives an extremely powerful scene in the graveyard at the end. I'm suprised nobody as mentioned it yet.

If you really want to cry like crazy, go and "try" to rent "Grave of the Firelies". It's a Anime but it's the heaviest thing I've ever seen. I thought it would be a typical anime and boy was I wrong. It's about two children who become homeless in Kobe japan during WWII. yikes. It's the worst and best thing I've seen in a while. try and see it. I'm always looking for someone to talk to about it.

To kill a mockingbird is a good one too. Great music.

More later!

-Alex

2. Blade_Runner82

Blade_Runner82 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    Hey,

I thought of another one. I'm always moved by Yoda's death in ROTJ. I'm suprised nobody has mentioned it! It's sad in a happy kind of way. I always thought mark hamill did a decent job of acting in that scene too. The music is great and it's so powerful and say the way yoda fades away. great stuff.

-later
    -Alex

3. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    It's a Wonderful Life: Geroge Bailey picks up a Mark Twain book that's signed: "Rememeber, no man is a failure who doesn't have friends. P.S. Thanks for the wings."

Saving Private Ryan: Of course the ending.

Titanic: Rose reunited with Jack

Armageddon: Where the little kid says "Look mommy, it's that salesman on tv", "No honey, that's your daddy", and then when the little kid runs up to hug his dad.

Babe: When he successfully completes the dog show, the crowd is completely silent, then errupts in applause. Then Farmer Hogget tells Babe, "That'll do pig, that'll do."

FOTR: Sam's promise to Mr. Frodo

ROTJ: The final celebration, the Ewoks are dancing with R2 and C-3P0, Han and Lando hug, Wedge shakes everyone's hands, Luke looks over and sees Obi-Wan, Yoda, and his father united in the force.

Cidar House Rules: The ending where Tobey Maguire returns to the orphanage up in Maine.

4. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    -Final Scene of the Dead Poet's Society
    -I cried when Darth Vader dies in ROTJ!!!
    -Just about any part of Schindler's List

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    E.T. - When E.T. "dies"; when E.T. leaves.

Forest Gump - Forget which scene, but it's somewhere near the end.

Schindler's List - Several parts.

Saving Private Ryan - Both scenes with the old man.

6. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    - In FOTR, when Bilbo breaks down and says "I'm sorry for everything" to Frodo.

- FOTR, when Gandalf falls with the Balrog, and a minute later as the Fellowship mourns him.

- FOTR, the entire death of Boromir sequence. First, how he keeps on fighting even after being pierced by two arrows. Then, when Merry and Pip charge against the orcs. Then, Aragorn and Boromir's last conversation, which is made worse by the incredibly sad look on Legolas' face.

- TPM: Qui-Gon's death.

- ROTJ, when Anakin dies (especially now that the PT is here). It's much much sadder to watch now that we know what he was like before becoming Vader.

- ROTJ, when Luke sees Anakin's "restored" form standing next to Yoda and Ben.

- Titanic (though it pains me to admit it): The mom reading her children a bedtime story so they'd be asleep when the end came... The elderly couple holding each other in bed as the water surrounded them... The band playing on till the end... Thankfully, Jack's death cheered me up some :p

- Saving Private Ryan: "Am I a good man?"

- Braveheart: "You have bled with Wallace. Now bleed with me."

- The last half hour from Ghost.

- DeLacroix's death in The Green Mile. I grew attached to the bastard.

- John Coffey's pain. Not just his death scene, but the pain he experienced in the Mile.

- Also from The Green Mile: John getting to watch a movie near the end.

- From Deep Impact: Sarah's parents holding each other as the tidal wave approached them.

- Also from DI: Jenny and her dad as they faced the wave.

- Still more from DI: The crew of the Messiah saying goodbye to their loved ones.

Damn, I'm a crybaby.

7. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Armageddon: When Willis' character shoves Afflecks charcter back into the ship - `No Harry please don't. <starts to cry> I love you.

AI trailer: the music (which I don't know the name of) and the tagline.

FOTR: `Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee, he said. I made a promise Mr Frodo, A Promise.' That's how I feel about promises.

Lolita (1962): When Humbert cries.

A Clockwork Orange: When Alex realises he can't go home.

8. Aerica

Aerica Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    I hate crying, but I must admit that I do get a little weepy once in a while over a movie. Ones that were already mentioned are the ROTJ ending (Poor Luke! *sniffle*) and Armageddon.

I also got WAY too weepy over A.I. Man, it was unbearable torture for me, watching that movie. I wanted to run out of the theatre cuz I felt like crying so bad.

Disney's Tarzan also made me teary. The scene where the baby gorilla died, and then Tarzan's parents died...gosh, I can't believe a cartoon did that to me.

In Joy Luck Club, when that mom had to leave her twin babies by a tree...and also when, many years later, that mom's daughter met the grown twins and had to tell them that their mom died.

9. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I may seem like a hardass in PSA, but I cry like a little girl with skinned shins in almost every movie. Recently:

FOTR: Boromir's death and Merry and Pippin's reaction. He just got along so well with them, and he only wanted to help his people. Sad, sad stuff. Much more emotional than the book.

Black Hawk Down: Most of those guys who died were practically kids.

Someone mentioned Apollo 13: Man, that movie makes me go a big wet one for the entire last 45 minutes.

10. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Boromirs death is the only time I have ever cried in a movie...

11. AurraJade

AurraJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2000
    -Jack's death in Titanic(I couldn't help it!)

-Just about every five minutes of The Patriot

-Qui-Gon's death in TPM

-The Fellowship's mourning over Gandalf and Boromir's death in TLOTR

12. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

- Gladiator (When Crowe dies, the music picks up, and we see him walking towards his family)

Yep, that got me.

-Terminator 2: Sarah's dream of LA getting the finger got a lot of people in the theater I was at, including me.

-Saving Private Ryan; When Miller dies, and at the very end when the elder Ryan is talking to the grave marker.

-Good-Bye, Farewell, & Amen: The made for TV M*A*S*H finale. BJ kept refusing to say good-bye to Hawkeye, until the very end when he arranged the stones to say it near the chopper pad so Hawkeye saw them when he took off.

13. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    The end of Moulin Rogue, and LOTR.

14. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    "No Sam, I'm going alone!"
    "Of course you are, and I'm going with you!"

I love that scene.

15. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    I'm glad someone finally mentioned Schindler's List. What an emotionally draining film!
    I also cried at the end of Moulin Rougue, Gladiator, etc. In fact, I cry alot at emotional films. ;)
    Ghost_of_Caesar, I'm glad someone else mentioned Gallipoli. I would also like to add Last of the Mohicans to the list.

Oh, and I get teary during many occasions in FOTR:

-Arwen and Aragorn in Rivendell
    -Gandalf "falling into shadow"
    -Boromir's noble sacrifice
    -Sam's promise to Frodo

Yeah, I'm a sap. ;)

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i forgot to mention Schindler's List. when Oskar breaks down at the end , mentioning how he could have saved more Jews, is so heartbreaking.

17. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Dead Poets Society-When he kills himself.

CastAway-When Wilson floats away.

K-911-When the dog goes and sits in the remains of the car and you know he's to old to go to work. :_|

FOTR-When Boromir dies, always chokes me up.

FOTR-After they come out of the mines, and they're all crying becuse Gandolf died.

18. Jedi_XandMan

Jedi_XandMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2001
    I agree on both Dead Poets Society and Planes, Trains and Automobiles:

DPS: When all the students stand on their desks...gets me every time.

PTA: Actually, what gets me is the end when Del and Neil are walking down Neil's street carrying his trunk.

19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - `You all think I'm licked. Well I'm not licked!'

20. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    My Girl "Thomas J, you can't die."

E.T. "I'll be right here."

Gladiator "We'll meet again, friend, but not yet."

Meet Joe Black I cry just about the whole last 20 minutes.

Legends of the Fall "I'm going to ask you to watch over my kids."

Far and Away I bawl at the end when he "dies" and comes back to life.

Titanic As much as it kills me, I did cry at the end.

Ghost "Ditto"

Beaches The whole movie is sad.

21. Dagger

Dagger Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 1999
    The Green Mile
    -The whole scene where DeLaCroix is getting electrocuted without the sponge. Made a bit better when the guard punches that bastard Percy afterward.
    -The guard discussing with John what God will think if he puts John to death.

Dead Poet's Society
    -Neil's roomate running out onto the ice after he learns he's killed himself.
    -The entire last scene where Robin Williams returns to get his things.

Deep Impact
    -Tidal wave crushing New York, then killing thousands of people stuck on the evacuation highway.

Armageddon
    -Abandoned streets, people going into storm cellars, etc. when it seems like the drilling mission has failed.

22. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    The scene where the baby gorilla dies in Tarzan got me, as well as the pieces mentioned earlier in Titanic with the elderly couple and the woman and her children.

I, though, actually had to stifle a cheer when Boromir died. I always saw him as the biggest source of conflict and only being around because he wanted the ring. Gandalf's "death" didn't get me either because I knew he came back in The Two Towers.

23. audio_karate

audio_karate Jedi Master star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    Many of the scenes I think are the saddest I've seen (and remember) in film have been previously mentioned, including several in Field of Dreams, The Green Mile, and The Joy Luck Club.

The ending of Glory--the entire film, in fact--was particularly powerful, and the scene where the Japanese officer's son (and would-be Kamakazi Pilot) was mortally wounded in Empire of the Sun is also sad. He was only going to slice the freakin' melon...!!

Most recently (re: earlier this afternoon), I've watched Grave of the Fireflies. Wow. Absolutely stunning, I think. I cried. A lot. And that, good people, is unusual (not just the a lot part, but the crying in general).

Specific scenes that dealt me a heartfelt wallop:

-- The station janitors take and discard of the fruit drop tin.
    -- In the first scene involving the fireflies, Seita is showing his younger sister Setsuko how to catch them. Setsuko also receives the fruit drops as a gift.
    -- Seita comes upon his sister digging in the earth and questions her activity. She replies that she is burying the fireflies, just as their mother was buried (Seita was careful to keep their mother's death a secret, and is surprised and angered when he discovers that Setsuko knows the truth).
    -- A group of local children happen upon the burial mound and jokingly kick it. What makes this scene so sad is that the children are not being intentionally malicious, they are just being kids.
    -- At the end, Setsuko is seriously ill and, in her delirium, attempts to eat marbles (thinking they are fruit drops) and innocently offers Seita rice balls--made of dirt.

The music accompanying Grave of the Fireflies is melancholy, as well. I truly think everyone should see this piece, if given the chance. And I note with pleasure that someone (Blade_Runner_82) has already given it a mention.

24. Senator_Amidala

Senator_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 9, 2001
    Scenes that make me cry:

-ROTJ: from Vader's death until the end
    -Gladiator: from Maximus death till the end
    -FOTR: When Gandalf and Boromir die, and at the end when Frodo holds the ring on his hand with tears in his eyes.
    ...I don't remember more at this moment...
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

25. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Most of these have been mentioned already, but what the hey:

Field of Dreams
    Edward Scissorhands - the ice dance gets me every time.
    Contact
    Titanic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.