main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Scenes in TFA that felt straight out of the 80's!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I loved this film - I thought they did a great job!

Some scenes were really nostalgic and felt like they could have been straight out of an 80's film...

Two come to mind for me-

1 - Finn drinking from the water fountain with the Happarbore
    2 - Bobbajo (especially the behind the scenes video)

Any for you?

:cool:

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Satipo like this.
  2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Some reviewer stated that JJ made a "thoroughly old-fashioned film." I agree, and that doesn't have to do with the "practical effects." It has to do with spirit and tone. Moments like Finn's "that's one hell of a pilot!" and many other similarly naive, un-cynical moments, really made this movie feel a lot different than modern blockbuster fare, and very much akin to the OT, and other films in the adventure genre during the 80s. This is why I can't understand the charge of cynicism leveled at the film. It's anything but.

jaqen, ObiWanKnowsMe, Nate787 and 6 others like this.
  3. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    The beginning of the bar scene.

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The whole Cantina scene is like a throwback to the 80s sitcom, "Cheers", that starred Ted Danson... Albeit on some planet in a faraway galaxy and with a unique mix of human and alien patrons! :)

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  5. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Like, as in any 80s movie, or, more like 80s science fiction and/or fantasy films? Either way, I am not feeling it. Some films of somewhat similar genre do not compare, to whit:

E.T. - Space alien gets left behind on Earth and befriends a human boy?
    The Neverending Story - No one in TFA rides on the back of a flying dinosaur otter
    Aliens - We really need a Star Wars film where the Jedi are stranded on a Sith outpost where hundreds of Sith live in the catacombs ready to shower the Jedi with Sith Spit; would love to see C3PO ripped in half by a Sith and still function properly to give an assist to the Jedi
    Beastmaster - No nudity yet in Star Wars films
    Ice Pirates - Total Star Wars ripoff!

6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Kanjiklub with The Guavian Death Gang Vs our Heros vs the Rathtars felt very Captain EO 2 me.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    There's a default sense of throwback because Abrams uses a lot of tropes, tropes specific to the OT. However, I think TFA is very much a 2015 film made for 2015 audiences.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The scene when Finn runs after Rey as Kylo takes her away felt very classic 80's in an Empire Strikes Back/E.T way. This is due largely to the sweeping score which accompanies the scene (the score frequently gives off strong 80's vibes)

9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    The fuzzy, security-cam footage on Han's freighter showing the arrival of the gangs. And also the doors, windows on the Rathtar cages, hallways and crawlspaces of the ship felt very industrial and spare, like something out of Alien or Blade Runner.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I suspect Kasdan's unique style of dialogue has something to do with the throwback feel as well.

11. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    When Rey and Finn escaped the First order agents on space MBX's.

12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Absolutely. He nails that pulpy throwback tone better than anyone imo.

13. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Scenes in the Resistance base, so old-school. Makes sense, since they shot it on replicas of lenses used in ANH.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    That bird pecking as Rey speeds past. You really can tell it's not a real animal. It moves kinda mechanical-like , most definitely as though it was made in the 70's, let alone the 80's. (I'm not dissing it though, even though I'm a "hater" - this is not one of the things I "hated")
    Also, the red eyed creature thing that looks at BB-8 as it rolls by. Which I've just realised is probably inspired by this;
    [​IMG]

AhsokaSolo, Darth PJ and Satipo like this.
  15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    ^^^^^^^ The way that bird moved gave me cancer. Forget the 80's that bird was from the 50's.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  16. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    The first scene of Lor San Tekka and Poe talking had a "retro" vibe to me.

Palp_Faction and Satipo like this.
  17. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I've always felt like Abram's style has been most heavily influenced by Spielberg's work from the 70's and 80's. I think that is generally where that feeling of being very 80's come from. This is why my first thought after walking out was that it felt very much like if Spielberg had originally made Star Wars instead of Lucas.

Satipo and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  18. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    Definitely a Spielberg vibe at times in TFA. Not least of all the Raiders of the Lost Ark homage with the Rathtars, and Han's Indy-like punch on the Kanjiklubber. And yes, his style has been most heavily influenced by Spileberg, although it seems he's been studying some other filmmakers with TFA too.

19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Actually .. the OSD in the Falcon came straight form the glorious screens of a 1977 VFX shot. :)

20. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Abrams style for me is a mix of Michael Bay and 80's fuzz feel good blockbusters like ET and Back to the Future, the latter influences adding a good deal more class than the former has by himself.

21. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the cinematography felt very 80's in spots, like the framing of the desert attack at the beginning and the tracking shot through Maz's bar. One thing I wish there were more of was wipes to the next scene. I saw the movie 3 times and looked for them on my final viewing and only noticed a couple.

22. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Just me or isn't Rey's speeder just Luke's X-34 on it's side.....even the windscreen's the same

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    A lot of the shots showing off the environment/aliens (the Jakku scavenger bird, the aliens in Maz's castle,etc.) definitely felt like classic Star Wars and 70s/80s action films in general.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    There are a bunch of wipes throughout the film. Definitely more than a couple.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That E.T. looking thing coming out of the sand when BB-8 left the village was my first impression.

Actually, the very first scene reminded me that it looked like vintage Star Wars...the sand creature proved that JJ cared about making it so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.