main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Scenes in TFA that felt straight out of the 80's!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I remember the EW article from pre release where JJ specifically talked about what must have been the thing coming out of the sand with the red eyes and how ILM was gonna add CGI to it, but JJ liked the simple absurdity of it. Which I wish had been followed through a lil more in the rest of the film. And I wish ILM had not unnessecarily added CGI touch ups to other things. The idea this would be offered by ILM kind of baffles me as like why are you making it a real thing in the first place if you want it CGI.

I wish, since this movie was a direct sequel to 1985's ROTJ, that it felt alot more 80s than it did.

rowan_greenleaf likes this.
  2. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012

Yeah I will have to watch again on Bluray and watch more carefully. It's just weird that when I was looking for them I didn't seem to notice them. Maybe he just didn't use any fancy ones or something.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  3. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    The first scene felt very 80's to me, but it didn't feel like vintage Star Wars to me at all.

4. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The early shots of Jakku, those panoramic scenes that you just soak in. That little pause before the action took off just looking over the vast desolate landscape. I remember those all the way up to the 80's. It started to become boring back in the day with so much of that going on. It was actually nice to see it in a modern film.

Darthmaul208 and rowan_greenleaf like this.
  5. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I'm kind of with you there -- up until the "we've got company" line, it felt more like E.T. to me than Star Wars*, but it was very A New Hope-y. I know that sounds contradictory and will likely ruffle feathers, but the "Star Wars feeling" and all that encompasses, to me, is Empire; that is to say, fear, hope, and adventure. It's the first movie I saw and the standard by which I judge all the others. For example, Darth Vader in Empire and Jedi is legitimately scary. He's a much darker character, wantonly killing, scheming, and torturing. A New Hope Vader is just kind of a bully, but not fearsome at all IMO.

6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    About the wipes, they were there but they were faster then the PT/OT wipes.

7. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The most 80s thing about TFA that I forgot to mention in my earlier posting:

When the iconic "Star Wars Theme" played at the same time as the "Episode VII THE FORCE AWAKENS..." opening crawl - that brought back memories of the PT and OT for almost everyone in the theater! ^:)^=D=

[​IMG]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    The scene where everyone waves good bye to the Falcon (which I liked btw). It felt very nostalgic, positive/feel good. It could have been in the OT.

9. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    Rey and Finn's escape from Jakku

Inviato dal mio SM-J500FN utilizzando Tapatalk

10. Mootsy

Mootsy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2016
    The opening scene reminded me of John carpenter stylee circa 80s which was great..

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yup. And the difference is that in the OT, it would have been the final scene. If there's one thing Abrams improved on in TFA, it's endings. That ending with Luke was far and above the best of the saga. All previous endings were mostly group photos. Which while warm/ fuzzy/ feel goody, always felt a little contrived to me.

Ricardo Funes and Nate787 like this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Someone mentioned above the lack of modern day cynicism in parts, the total embrace of the 80s "gee whiz" spirit. See Finn's "That's one hell of a pilot!" or Poe's unabashed "Woohoo!". The film didn't feel meta, wink-wink, or snarky at all, which is totally in line with those great 80s blockbusters we all loved. It felt like many of those old school blockbusters, including the OT, were made by people who struck a keen balance between films that took themselves just seriously enough, but knew how to keep it fun, and were made mostly as pure, escapist entertainment. TFA got that down pat.

The entire Rathtars sequence felt designed to capture that spirit to, which is one of the reasons I loved it so.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The Rathtars sequence looked like an 80's space-horror movie... I enjoyed it.

jaqen and thejeditraitor like this.
  14. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Definitely a great ending. My second favorite. For me, nothing beats the sad, somber ending of Empire. Leia puts her head on Luke's shoulder…..music…..Lando and Chewie smile, ready for their adventure to find Han….cut to Luke and Leia looking out the window….the fleet….Cut!

15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The alien in the dark which Poe runs into before he is able to escape the village on Jakku and also the bird thing which eats metal on Jakku also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.